Wireless signal booster

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
dtech
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 13:40    Post subject: Wireless signal booster Reply with quote
Hello.
I've just expanded my range of wireless hardware (WAG160N v1, WRT350N v2, WRT54G v1.1) with two nice pieces from somebody who didn't need them anymore: a WRT54G v2.2 and a WRT54GL v1.1 (unfortunately there is only one adapter, but I'll see if I can fix one)

My current setup is like this:
Internet -> WAG160N -> WRT350N (separate place)

Both broadcast the same SSID, channel and encryption to allow roaming. The clients connect with internal network cards or with the WRT54G v1.1 in client bridge (DD-WRT v24), so I can also run linux without fancy configuration.

So I have like 3 options which I would like to do:
1. Boost the wireless signal from the WRT350N so the top floor has a better signal (a cable and another router for roaming isn't a option)
2. Put another router for roaming in a less good place.
3. Setup a FON hotspot
4. Give the PC with the worst signal the power of a client bridge WRT54G(L)

The problem is that I don't exactly can find out how/if 1 is possible. What I would like to have is just configure the router and put is somewhere halfway. My idea is that it would just "catch" every signal (if possible only with my SSID) and resent it, thus boosting my network.
WDS and repeater modes don't seem to do that however :(

Does anyone know if it's possible?
Sponsor
soulstace
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 14:59    Post subject: Re: Wireless signal booster Reply with quote
dtech wrote:
Both broadcast the same SSID, channel and encryption to allow roaming.

Is best to use different channel on each AP. Same SSID and encryption is fine, but use different channels.

See what I wrote:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Access_Point#Roaming_access

dtech wrote:
My idea is that it would just "catch" every signal (if possible only with my SSID) and resent it, thus boosting my network.
WDS and repeater modes don't seem to do that however :(

Does anyone know if it's possible?

Either WDS or repeater can boost your Wi-Fi signal. WDS is MAC based whereas Repeater is SSID based.
dtech
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 18:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the tip about the channels.

But does it mean that this is not possible without sacrifising half the bandwith? Because WDS does right?
soulstace
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes the bandwidth will decrease on every hop. But this does not necessarily mean your internet connection will be slower.
dtech
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 15:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
It does. I hoped that with a repeater I could use the full 2,5 MBps my connection offers (as it does on a wire) instead of the 1,5 MBps it gives on my computer with the wireless.
If the maximum speed will be 22 Mbps I don't think it will achieve the theoretical 2,75 MBps Sad
Well. At least I can try
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: