Missing JFFS2 on v24 final/sp1 VPN builds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
soulstace
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
altern8 wrote:
I too would like to know if there is ever going to be official builds including both openvpn + jffs going forward.

dd-wrt.v24-10086_NEWD_openvpn_jffs_small.bin
Sponsor
altern8
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 21:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow, great, thanks. Smile This one worked! The other one I used ( RC4 something or another ) didn't actually leave me with any free space to work with.
vtphilk
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
soulstace wrote:
altern8 wrote:
I too would like to know if there is ever going to be official builds including both openvpn + jffs going forward.

Anyone know what this version is missing?
soulstace
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
vtphilk wrote:
soulstace wrote:
altern8 wrote:

Anyone know what this version is missing?

Yes and I actually answered your question last time you asked it.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=36037&p=200431#200431
cbalbont
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 17:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
> DD-WRT v24sp1 VPN builds have the JFFS feature removed

I have a question. Aside from not having the "enable jffs" option anymore, how can I tell if this really has been disabled in v24sp1 vpn?

On my LinkSys WRT-54GL, I was using firmware "v23-sp2 vpn" with the MMC/SD card mod and jffs enabled. I upgraded to "v24 vpn" and then to "v24-sp1 vpn" with no issues. Now, even though the "enable jffs" option is gone... as far as I can tell jffs still seems functional. I can use WinSCP to view the /mmc/jffs directory, I have "addn-hosts=/mmc/jffs/etc/block_hosts" as a DNSmasq option (which the system can read from), and I have "Use JFFS2 for client lease DB" checked and that seems to work as well. Huh? :?

I really need these options to be able to write to the /mmc/jffs directory, so I'm a little nervous now about uploading firmware just in case this happens to be a fluke. I was just about to look for v24-vpn firmware that dumped Sputnik in favor of the free Chilispot... but not at the cost of possibly losing jffs. I am stuck.

Chris
soulstace
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 17:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
cbalbont wrote:
I have a question. Aside from not having the "enable jffs" option anymore, how can I tell if this really has been disabled in v24sp1 vpn?

http://svn.dd-wrt.com:8000/dd-wrt/changeset/9363

Code:

//Makefile

ifneq ($(CONFIG_JFFS2),y)
     rm -f $(TARGETDIR)/lib/modules/$(LINUXVER)/jffs2.o
endif
cbalbont
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, I understand jffs was commented out in this build. My question was why does it still work after upgrading from "v23-sp2 vpn" to " v24-sp1 vpn"?

Chris
soulstace
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 20:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, that's a new question. I quoted your last question, and this wasn't it.

It's probably still thinking jffs is enabled because you didn't reset the router before and after upgrade. Maybe you found a loophole.

Frankly, I'm surprised it didn't brick it. Confused
cbalbont
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 22:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Ok, that's a new question. I quoted your last question, and this wasn't it.

Ah.. yeah I was wondering about that. :)

soulstace wrote:
It's probably still thinking jffs is enabled because you didn't reset the router before and after upgrade. Maybe you found a loophole.

Actually my WRT-54GL was reset multiple times. The first update process reset it after going from "v23-sp2 vpn" --> "v24 vpn", then the second update process reset it after going from "v24 vpn" --> "v24-sp1 vpn". Since then, I'm pretty sure I reset it several times in order to make a few changes, and just now (24 hrs after the update) I reset it once again just for grins. So far I am still able to read the /jffs directory on the SD card mod using WinSCP, my custom DNSmasq option can still read that directory without a problem, and I'm still able to check options like "Use JFFS2 for client lease DB".

If this is a loophole then it means I'm stuck with this version for a while. There's no way I'm going to risk loosing having the latest dd-wrt vpn release and be able to use jffs with it. :o

Chris
simon4b
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 14:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, the following is not an issue any more. It seems not to be a router/software problem. Sorry for cluttering your thread

Hi,
I've got a problem that maybe isn't the same as discussed here but related with the built you've touched on.

I've got a wrt54gl v1.1 with dd-wrt v24 sp1 VPN on it. Yesterday I upgraded this package to the dd-wrt.v24-10086_NEWD_openvpn_jffs_small, because I need jffs support. VPN generally worked although I didn't achieve my goal with JffS.
It worked by the time I got that - probably stupid - idea to administer the router without being connected to it directly(via VPN). By the 3rd reboot the device blocked, so I only closed the browser window and reconnected to VPN. Unfortunately it wasn't working anymore. I mean I was connected(the client software) but had no possibity to browse web being connected to VPN (not only the network resources I connected to but internet at all).

At first I thought it may be a temporary change in the software on board so I flashed the device with the same package once more - didn't help
So I got another idea - it might be a particular software related issue - so I flashed the device with the official/final version od dd-wrt with VPN (the one I mentioned at the beginning) - without any success Sad.

So I thought maybe you guys have any idea what on earth happened to my router. I can connect but it acts like there were no packets transmitted

Would appreciate your help. (if I should make a new thread on it let me know pls, cause I'm pretty new here)

Last edited by simon4b on Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:10; edited 1 time in total
soulstace
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 14:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
cbalbont wrote:
Actually my WRT-54GL was reset multiple times.

I'm not talking about rebooting it. I'm talking about a hard reset.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Hard_reset_or_30/30/30
cbalbont
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 21:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm not talking about rebooting it. I'm talking about a hard reset.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Hard_reset_or_30/30/30

Ohhhh. Well shoot... wasn't aware that you were supposed to do that procedure before and after an upgrade. Hmmm... well everything is working exactly as I want it to so guess I really lucked out on this one. Thanks for the helpful information. :D

Chris
switch
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 21:44    Post subject: Re: Missing JFFS2 on v24 final/sp1 VPN builds Reply with quote
StrikerNL wrote:
Update: Still not fixed as of V24 SP1

What can I do about this?

It is not a bug. Christ how hard is it to understand? It was intentionally removed!

You can download a small build, like the mini or Eko's NOKAID_MINUS or even the VPN + JFFS build from Eko - all of which have JFFS enabled. For the small builds, ipkg update then ipkg -d jffs install openvpn for openvpn.

You can't have EVERYTHING on EVERY build. Obviously. Would be easier to just ask for a build with VPN and JFFS. I did, and Eko happily provided one within like a few hours.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:53    Post subject: Re: Missing JFFS2 on v24 final/sp1 VPN builds Reply with quote
switch wrote:
StrikerNL wrote:
Update: Still not fixed as of V24 SP1

What can I do about this?

It is not a bug. Christ how hard is it to understand? It was intentionally removed!

LOL

Maybe the question was not clear. It's clear from the many posts that JFFS support is not built into v24-sp1 VPN. I was not able to find any specific post saying why this was done.

There was a second or third hand reference to brainslayer taking it out due to a QoS conflict on one thread. Another couple of posts mention space issues.

VPN is a killer build for those of us who have 8MB routers with misfunctional USB storage (wl-500gp v2) since it (with JFFS) would provide 4MB+ of file space.

The most important question seemed to be: Should we expect a mainline VPN build with JFFS support or should we start making other plans?

In case it's not clear, I really enjoy dd-wrt and appreciate all the hard work put into it.
Llewellion
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 14:08    Post subject: OpenVPN with USB Support Reply with quote
The links to the build with OpenVPN and USB support do not work anymore. Anyone got a working one?

Or any news if there will be a OpenVPN build with USB support in the future?

Thanks!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: