WRT610N

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 144, 145, 146  Next
jsh2001
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
What's up everybody I am also new here. Here is my situation I have a netgear WNDR3300 and Linksys WRT610N router that my fiance got at a Best Buy conference back in May. Anyways I want to create a wireless bridge with them to hook up my 360, dish receiver, ect.
I am currently using the WNDR3300 as my primary receiver, which from everything I read can be anything but all the directions I have found so far are using a wireless-g router. I have installed DD-WRT on the WRT610N and went through all the directions to create the wireless bridge. To this point I have had no luck with this setup, but have only found directions for the WRT54G. Has anyone had any luck using the WRT610G to create a wireless bridge?
Sponsor
mindbender9
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 23:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
jsh2001 wrote:
I have installed DD-WRT on the WRT610N and went through all the directions to create the wireless bridge. To this point I have had no luck with this setup, but have only found directions for the WRT54G. Has anyone had any luck using the WRT610G to create a wireless bridge?

Is your WRT610n working ok with the DD-WRT firmware? I was under the impression that there was a number of features and areas of the 610n that were inoperative at this time. Have you tested the wireless performance and the gigabit LAN switch?

I almost bought the 610n at Best Buy yesterday but held off until I read that the DD-WRT firmware is fully operational on it.

Could you let us know what is working along with what isn't working? I believe that this is still a work-in-progress with the router model. Thanks.
Digitalos
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 23:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Welcome to both of you too!

jsh2001, unfortunately, I haven't any answer for your question, however as far as I know WRT610N is NOT fully supported by dd-wrt yet. Flashing the router with dd-wrt or running it, even if flashing is succeed, may brick your router. I would suggest you to flash your router back to the stock Linksys firmware. Be patient as mindbender9 and wait until you read somewhere in the forum that dd-wrt is ready for WRT610N.
jsh2001
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 13:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Digitalos wrote:

jsh2001, unfortunately, I haven't any answer for your question, however as far as I know WRT610N is NOT fully supported by dd-wrt yet. Flashing the router with dd-wrt or running it, even if flashing is succeed, may brick your router. I would suggest you to flash your router back to the stock Linksys firmware. Be patient as mindbender9 and wait until you read somewhere in the forum that dd-wrt is ready for WRT610N.

DD-WRT seems to be fully functional... is the netgear WNDR3300 fully functional with dd-wrt where I could switch my primary and secondary routers?
HKPolice
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 14:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
jsh2001 wrote:
Digitalos wrote:

DD-WRT seems to be fully functional... is the netgear WNDR3300 fully functional with dd-wrt where I could switch my primary and secondary routers?

Could you please provide a screenshot of the overview page in the WRT610n to prove that it's running properly? I haven't seen a single person get it to work yet.
jsh2001
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 15:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
HKPolice wrote:
jsh2001 wrote:
Digitalos wrote:

Could you please provide a screenshot of the overview page in the WRT610n to prove that it's running properly? I haven't seen a single person get it to work yet.

Here is a screenshot... after trying to make it my primary router it will not connect to the internet so I guess it is not fully functional. I am now having trouble flashing it back to the original linksys firmware. Are there any tips on that?

Untitled.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  105.89 KB
 Viewed:  40645 Time(s)

Untitled.jpg

russg
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 16:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
jsh2001 wrote:
Here is a screenshot... after trying to make it my primary router it will not connect to the internet so I guess it is not fully functional. I am now having trouble flashing it back to the original linksys firmware. Are there any tips on that?

Have you tried to tftp the linksys firmware right after power-on? You probably want to do the 30/30/30 reset before and after the tftp flash.
--russ
HKPolice
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
russg wrote:
jsh2001 wrote:

Have you tried to tftp the linksys firmware right after power-on? You probably want to do the 30/30/30 reset before and after the tftp flash.
--russ

You have a WRT160N

Not WRT610N

The 160N has been supported for a long time.
trihfh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 23:59    Post subject: Re: WRT610N Router Stops Working (but only half way...) Reply with quote
jml999 wrote:
Hi all, I've been watching this forum over the last few days and first want to say that everyone's efforts to get dd-wrt onto this router are most impressive.

That being said, on it's own this is a fairly impressive router. I am experiencing an odd problem and thought I would run it by you all. If this has already been addressed somewhere I apologize - if so please point me there...

Anyway... I got the WRT610N router about 2 weeks ago and am experiencing somewhat of an odd issue. After about a week or so of uptime on the router it seems to stop working, but only half way. By that I mean, the wireless stops working, internet browsing / email / antivirus updates on the hardwired computer stops working, and the external hdd connected to the NAS USB port becomes inaccessible - however - the router is still dealing in traffic as my vonage phone adapter (hooked up behind the router) still works fine and I am still able to VNC across the router from an external location to my hard-wired desktop.

Logic dictates that if it is going to stop working that nothing would work but instead it is as if it's going into a reduced functionality state. Booting the router by power-cycling it is the only way that works to restore proper functionality (so far).

The router is currently on the new v18 firmware, but the issue also happened on the previous (stock) v17 firmware as well. I am connected via cox cable. If you need additional info to derive a solution or troubleshooting please ask. -Thanks in advance.

I have the exact same problem with my WRT610N. I'm also quite certain that it's due to excessive heat within the router.

Since I only need the 5GHz band right now, I disabled the 2.4GHz radio and found that it alleviated the problems somewhat... However, on a hot summer day with ambient temperatures in the high end of 80 degrees Fahrenheit, my router will still overheat.

I'm contemplating tearing it apart and installing some kind of active cooling like those links listed in previous posts... But I'm also considering just returning the unit and buying one that works the way it should, straight from the manufacturer.

I'm sure there are more people having this problem... anyone else care to chime in?v Rolling Eyes
dcronshaw
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:53    Post subject: Re: WRT610N Router Stops Working (but only half way...) Reply with quote
trihfh wrote:
jml999 wrote:
Hi all, I've been watching this forum over the last few days and first want to say that everyone's efforts to get dd-wrt onto this router are most impressive.

That being said, on it's own this is a fairly impressive router. I am experiencing an odd problem and thought I would run it by you all. If this has already been addressed somewhere I apologize - if so please point me there...

Anyway... I got the WRT610N router about 2 weeks ago and am experiencing somewhat of an odd issue. After about a week or so of uptime on the router it seems to stop working, but only half way. By that I mean, the wireless stops working, internet browsing / email / antivirus updates on the hardwired computer stops working, and the external hdd connected to the NAS USB port becomes inaccessible - however - the router is still dealing in traffic as my vonage phone adapter (hooked up behind the router) still works fine and I am still able to VNC across the router from an external location to my hard-wired desktop.

Logic dictates that if it is going to stop working that nothing would work but instead it is as if it's going into a reduced functionality state. Booting the router by power-cycling it is the only way that works to restore proper functionality (so far).

The router is currently on the new v18 firmware, but the issue also happened on the previous (stock) v17 firmware as well. I am connected via cox cable. If you need additional info to derive a solution or troubleshooting please ask. -Thanks in advance.

I have the exact same problem with my WRT610N. I'm also quite certain that it's due to excessive heat within the router.

Since I only need the 5GHz band right now, I disabled the 2.4GHz radio and found that it alleviated the problems somewhat... However, on a hot summer day with ambient temperatures in the high end of 80 degrees Fahrenheit, my router will still overheat.

I'm contemplating tearing it apart and installing some kind of active cooling like those links listed in previous posts... But I'm also considering just returning the unit and buying one that works the way it should, straight from the manufacturer.

I'm sure there are more people having this problem... anyone else care to chime in?v Rolling Eyes

I also had the same problem with dropping connections but on the 2.4 GHz radio. The first week or so it worked fine. Today, I had 2 people playing a game, WOW, and another one surfing the web on the 2.4 GHz radio (WPA TKIP) while I was surfing on the 5 GHz radio (WPA2 AES). They kept complaining they were losing their wireless connection but I was fine. It got so bad no one could connect. I tried upgrading from B17 to B18 firmware and the problem still existed. I power cycled the router and noticed it was pretty hot. I also think the problem is due to overheating. I have Comcast 16MB speed. The gamers connected to the neighbors wireless and 30 minutes later I noticed the router was working fine for myself and the 2.4 GHz surfer. I also noticed the router was not as hot. I think I will return mine before my 30 day return policy is up at Best Buy. Maybe dd-wrt can come out with a firmware that fixes it or Linksys will add some more heat sinks (v1.1?). If so I'll buy another one. I swapped the WRT610n for the old trusty WRT54GS w/ dd-wrt firmware and have no problems. The kids are playing WOW again w/ no issues and I'm not get yelled at any longer. Its like major PMS when the internet is down in my house!

WRT54GS v.4
DD-WRT V23 VOIP
clonedmilkmen
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:05    Post subject: Re: wrt610n DHCP issues with Linksys firmware? Reply with quote
mithralleaf wrote:
Is anyone else having DHCP issues with their 610n? When I was using my 610n as my DHCP server it would crash (the DHCP server) and no longer give out IP addresses.

Yes, I have DHCP issues with the WRT610N as well. I'm running 1.00 B18 (the latest currently). It seems like DHCP crashes frequently. I can restart it by logging into the admin interface and disabling/re-enabled DHCP or by powering-on and off the WRT610N itself.
HKPolice
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sash wrote:
https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=596240&fcc_id='Q87-WRT610N'

added here:
http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices#Linksys

what switch chip is on the board?

This one: http://www.broadcom.com/products/Small-Medium-Business/Gigabit-Ethernet-Switching-Products/BCM53115

I took mine apart.

It's been 2 months since the WRT610N has been released and still no working dd-wrt Sad
russg
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
HKPolice wrote:

This one: http://www.broadcom.com/products/Small-Medium-Business/Gigabit-Ethernet-Switching-Products/BCM53115

I took mine apart.

It's been 2 months since the WRT610N has been released and still no working dd-wrt Sad

I understand the want for DD-WRT on the 610. I know that they recently got a unit to start working with so I would expect that good things are to come. We just have to be patient and work with the guys to build better things. Other than the heat issues with the 610 I think the hardware is a great platform. The heat can be worked around though. If I were to build a unit from scratch I think I would use most of these parts so I feel the future is bright for 3rd party code on this platform.
--russ
trihfh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, since my last post, I've finally gotten my WRT610N stable with both radios on.

Basically, after reading the other posts in this thread about people modifying their WRT310N's for better cooling, I decided to do something similar on the 610N. I took apart the router, and installed slim-profile heat sinks on the metal shields that covered the hottest chips, using Arctic Silver Alumina Adhesive.

Then I got a 120mm fan and mounted it to a base that the router sits upon. Similar to what another member did with his 310N and an old PSU.

The router doesn't even feel warm to the touch anymore, even when I'm fully utilizing both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz radios. In fact, I ran a test last night, where I transferred 100GB on the 5GHz radio, 50GB on the 2.4GHz, and 180GB on the GigE switch, all simultaneously. I woke up this morning, and all transfers had been completed without any drops after multiple hours.

So I've effectively "fixed" my router's connection drops... At the expense of getting my hands dirty and voiding the warranty on an expensive piece of hardware .

Looking forward to progress on dd-wrt firmware Smile
russg
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
trihfh wrote:
Well, since my last post, I've finally gotten my WRT610N stable with both radios on.

Basically, after reading the other posts in this thread about people modifying their WRT310N's for better cooling, I decided to do something similar on the 610N. I took apart the router, and installed slim-profile heat sinks on the metal shields that covered the hottest chips, using Arctic Silver Alumina Adhesive.

Then I got a 120mm fan and mounted it to a base that the router sits upon. Similar to what another member did with his 310N and an old PSU.

The router doesn't even feel warm to the touch anymore, even when I'm fully utilizing both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz radios. In fact, I ran a test last night, where I transferred 100GB on the 5GHz radio, 50GB on the 2.4GHz, and 180GB on the GigE switch, all simultaneously. I woke up this morning, and all transfers had been completed without any drops after multiple hours.

So I've effectively "fixed" my router's connection drops... At the expense of getting my hands dirty and voiding the warranty on an expensive piece of hardware .

Looking forward to progress on dd-wrt firmware Smile

Uh, pictures? Smile
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 144, 145, 146  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 18 of 146
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: