WRT610N

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 144, 145, 146  Next
Digitalos
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 18:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Great job!

Yeah, pictures would be fine Rolling Eyes
Sponsor
cachille
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 20:17    Post subject: What version works? Reply with quote
trihfh wrote:
Well, since my last post, I've finally gotten my WRT610N stable with both radios on.

Basically, after reading the other posts in this thread about people modifying their WRT310N's for better cooling, I decided to do something similar on the 610N. I took apart the router, and installed slim-profile heat sinks on the metal shields that covered the hottest chips, using Arctic Silver Alumina Adhesive.

Then I got a 120mm fan and mounted it to a base that the router sits upon. Similar to what another member did with his 310N and an old PSU.

The router doesn't even feel warm to the touch anymore, even when I'm fully utilizing both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz radios. In fact, I ran a test last night, where I transferred 100GB on the 5GHz radio, 50GB on the 2.4GHz, and 180GB on the GigE switch, all simultaneously. I woke up this morning, and all transfers had been completed without any drops after multiple hours.

So I've effectively "fixed" my router's connection drops... At the expense of getting my hands dirty and voiding the warranty on an expensive piece of hardware .

Looking forward to progress on dd-wrt firmware Smile

What firmware version did you upload? I think I may have bricked mine with dd-wrt.v24_mega_generic.bin. (from SP1). I am still trying to fix mine via TFTP, since I seem to be getting a boot loaded address. Any suggestions?
hardwarewizard
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 20:40    Post subject: Re: What version works? Reply with quote
cachille wrote:
I am still trying to fix mine via TFTP, since I seem to be getting a boot loaded address. Any suggestions?

my suggestion at this time is to jtag it to revive it. that was the only way i was able to do it after putting dd-wrt on it.

this may change in the future but for now jtag is the way.
dcronshaw
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:29    Post subject: Update, no disconnects since Sunday Reply with quote
After making a few changes to my router config on my WRT610n, I have not been disconnected. I've tested it offline Sunday with it not connected to the internet but connected to a 1 TB ext. usb drive. With my previous settings, after copying a couple mb using 2 notebooks to the USB drive I would get disconnected on the 5 GHz radio. One notebook is using 5 GHz Intel 4965abgn card and one is using 2.4GHz Intel 3945abg, After changing the following, I have not been disconnected. Under Wireless, Wireless Security tab, 5 GHz, I changed the Encryption from "WPA-TKIP or WPA2-AES" to "AES". I am using WPA2-Personal AES for my notebook w/ Intel 4965abgn card. The other notebook is using WPA TKIP on the 2.4 GHz radio with the Intel 3945abg. I also connected it back to the internet Monday with a third computer playing WOW. Below are my current settings using the B18 firmware:

Under Wireless, Basic Wireless Settings
5 GHz
Network Mode - Wireless-N Only (Intel 4965abgn ver 12.0.0.82 driver)
Radio Band - Wide - 40MHz Channel
Wide Channel - 46
Standard Channel - 48 - 5.240GHz (wanted to stay away from my 5.8 GHz cordless phones)
SSID Broadcast - Disabled

2.4 GHz
Network Mode - Mixed (have a Linksys PCI N card that only does 2.4 GHz)
Radio Band - Wide - 40Mhz Channel
Wide Channel - 3
Standard Channel - 1 - 2.412 GHz (used this on my WRT54GS w/ DD-WRT)
SSID Broadcast - Disabled

Under Wireless, Wireless Security tab,
5 GHz WPA2-Personal
Encryption 'AES'

2.4GHz WPA-Personal
Encryption TKIP

Wireless, Advanced Wireless Settings
Took all defaults except changed both 'CTS Protection Mode' to disabled (dd-wrt did this on my WRT54GS)

Applications & Gaming
Changed WMM Support to Disabled
Also disabled Internet Access Priority (it was on for my VOIP)

Mac Filtering is turned on under Wireless for extra security

Drew

WRT54GS v.4
DD-WRT V23 VOIP
trihfh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
russg wrote:
trihfh wrote:
Well, since my last post, I've finally gotten my WRT610N stable with both radios on.

Basically, after reading the other posts in this thread about people modifying their WRT310N's for better cooling, I decided to do something similar on the 610N. I took apart the router, and installed slim-profile heat sinks on the metal shields that covered the hottest chips, using Arctic Silver Alumina Adhesive.

Then I got a 120mm fan and mounted it to a base that the router sits upon. Similar to what another member did with his 310N and an old PSU.

The router doesn't even feel warm to the touch anymore, even when I'm fully utilizing both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz radios. In fact, I ran a test last night, where I transferred 100GB on the 5GHz radio, 50GB on the 2.4GHz, and 180GB on the GigE switch, all simultaneously. I woke up this morning, and all transfers had been completed without any drops after multiple hours.

So I've effectively "fixed" my router's connection drops... At the expense of getting my hands dirty and voiding the warranty on an expensive piece of hardware .

Looking forward to progress on dd-wrt firmware Smile

Uh, pictures? Smile

I'll have to open up the router again, when I have some time, to take pics of the added heatsinks... Until then, here are some pics of the base + fan that I made. I basically took an old metal tin and cut a hole large enough for the 120mm fan. I drilled screwholes so that I could mount the fan, then cut/bent up the rim of the tin on the front and back to provide adequate airflow for the fan intake. Sure, the base is ugly, but it gets the job done and it wouldn't look half bad if I painted it black one day Wink .

Oh, by the way, for anyone planning on doing something similar, don't bother removing the metal shields that cover the chips. I initially tried that so that I could get the heatsinks directly on top of the chips for max cooling performance, but the max throughput of the router suffered by 2-4MB/sec because of the added radio interference.

Pics:

jml999
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 0:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's some creative handy-work with the crayon tin. I am debating doing something similar. For now I decided to try to narrow down the heating problem, at least in my instance.

As a side note, the router sits in ambient temp that varies between 74 and 80 degrees depending whether I am home or away.

I went ahead and disconnected the external hdd and suspended the corresponding backup jobs and such about 4 days or so ago and have not otherwise altered any of the settings from where they were when it last failed. So far so good on the uptime.

My desktop nic is only 100/full so I suspect the raw amount of data coming across the link to the router and then back out the usb port due to the backups was extremely taxing on the cpu chip - so in theory the router was taking (10 times??) as long to throughput the data on a 100 link than a 1000 link. The extended work time I think may be what was causing the issue. I'm tempted to buy a 1000 nic for the desktop and do some more testing as to whether or not this is plausible.

What do you all think?
LameBeaver
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:54    Post subject: Nice cooling mod Reply with quote
I think you got the overheating issue under control Wink so great job on that fan set up.

I have also heard that there are range issues.

I was wondering if it would be possible; since your base looks metal to me, if you could wire that up to the internal antenna as that should increase the range issue.

How hard would it be to hook up?

Have you had any range issues?

What kind of range do you get now?

Thanks
diam0nd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:27    Post subject: Re: Nice cooling mod Reply with quote
Guys, can anyone answer 4 simple questions? :)

1. Does DD-WRT work on WRT610N?
2. Is the installation easy? (or are there any issues)
3. Are ALL WRT610N's features fully supported with DD-WRT or just partially? (I'm especially interested in WRT610N excluesive stuff, like dual-band)
4. The overheating problems. Are they caused by DD-WRT or do they also happen on stock firmware?

The reason I'm asking this is the following: I'm getting a router, so I'm thinking I should be WRT610N. BUT if DD-WRT doesn't work on it OR if using dual-band is not supported by DD-WRT I'd rather stick with WRT310N or WRT160N. So properly working DD-WRT is the MAIN issue for me, if DD doesn't properly work on 610N - no point in getting it.

So if anyone knows answers to any of those 4 questions, I'd really appreciate a few simple answers ;)

Thanks in advance!

LameBeaver
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
1 not yet; if you read this thread they are actually discussing trying to get it working
2 there are issues as it is not working yet
3 no all of the features are not supported as they are trying to get it working
4 my understanding is the model overheats with the wrt610 firmware
diam0nd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
LameBeaver wrote:
1 not yet; if you read this thread they are actually discussing trying to get it working

Well, first off, thank you so much for your answers! :D

Second of all, I did read the whole thread (well, almost. pages: 1-5 and 10-19). It's just that for some reason I had an impression that in the last threads people were trying to work out an issue with DD-WRT running on the device and not try to install it etc. Thus the question. Well, I guess a had a wrong impression.

Thanks again! I guess I'm better off sticking with WRT310N or 160N at the time being.

jml999
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 0:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
trihfh - how did you source power to the cooling fan in the base? I did find an external fan controller that you can plug in to a wall outlet on newegg but frankly it looked 'cheap'. I'd like to avoid cracking open the router if possible to maintain warranty. I did not see any cables going to the fan in the pics you posted.
majortom1981
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:48    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote
what about one of those laptop coolers ? maybe one of those usb powered ones?
trihfh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
jml999 wrote:
trihfh - how did you source power to the cooling fan in the base? I did find an external fan controller that you can plug in to a wall outlet on newegg but frankly it looked 'cheap'. I'd like to avoid cracking open the router if possible to maintain warranty. I did not see any cables going to the fan in the pics you posted.

I lucked out and found an old Game Boy Advance SP charger that was rated at the same 12v and amperage as the fan. So I just cut the wires and connected them directly to the fan Rolling Eyes
majortom1981
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
diam0nd wrote:
LameBeaver wrote:

Well, first off, thank you so much for your answers! :D

Second of all, I did read the whole thread (well, almost. pages: 1-5 and 10-19). It's just that for some reason I had an impression that in the last threads people were trying to work out an issue with DD-WRT running on the device and not try to install it etc. Thus the question. Well, I guess a had a wrong impression.

Thanks again! I guess I'm better off sticking with WRT310N or 160N at the time being.

If your older router has dd-wrt on it you can get the wrt610n and use it as an ap till dd-wrt is ready for it and use your older router as the router.
reames
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 14:23    Post subject: wrt610n serial port Reply with quote
It like the 610n board may be designed to support a larger flash chip; the TSOP48 pads look to have a set of TSOP56 pads offset under them -- might these be to support a larger chip like one of the intel 128Mbit ones?

It also looks like the serial port may be accessible in a second location that is on the bottom of the 610n, a series of pads labeled "JB2". When looking at the bottoom of the board with the ports facing away from you, JB2 will be at the left edge, approximately one quarter of the way from the edge with the ports (see attachment)

I'm still waiting on my serial cable (Nokia DKU-5, I think), so I haven't tested it yet, but I have used a multimeter to check for continuity between the pins there and the pins on the tab side of the WAN socket.

I've found the following correspondence between the pins on the tab side of the wan port and JB2

JB2-1 -> 3v3 (3.3v)
JB2-2 -> TXD
JB2-3 -> RXD
JB2-4 -> ???
JB2-5 -> GND

I'm attaching a (crappy cell-phone cam) photo for reference; the pencil is pointing straight at the JB2 pads. Pin 5 is nearest the pencil point.

09-14-08_0949.jpg
 Description:
Bottom of WRT610n board. Pencil points to possible second location for console port.
 Filesize:  182.95 KB
 Viewed:  33348 Time(s)

09-14-08_0949.jpg

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 144, 145, 146  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 19 of 146
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: