AnchorFree headaches (can we get some documentation?)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Falcon4
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:52    Post subject: AnchorFree headaches (can we get some documentation?) Reply with quote
So I figured AnchorFree would be an absolutely perfect fit on my network. I serve a good 10 or 12 people off my network and don't see a cent from it. It would be nice to plop a few ads on their screens and make some dough off it.

But it does seem too good to be true. In 2mb on my DD-WRT v6 (or 7, can't remember), it seems rather impossible. I tried it anyway... and after the headache of "flying blind" without any documentation or instructions, I tried to get it working. I had "auto"-registered a few months ago back when I tried using it with the WRT-box as an access point instead of a router, didn't work too well. Now I'm trying it again and getting the same response. It just doesn't work at all. It spits out a secondary SSID but I can't get an IP from it.

It's hard to believe that restructuring the network to provide two SSIDs (which technically shouldn't even be possible) can be done as simple as just clicking "enable" and filling out some registration garbage.

According to google, there have been a ton of AnchorFree topics here, covering topics that should have been in some kind of documentation if any existed. AnchorFree seems to deny the very existence of the entire operation, so they're no help. No idea where payment would even come from or go to (except the address I entered on registration). No idea where to go to get stats or information (if any). And no idea how to even make it work. Some documentation, or perhaps a forum for this inevitably much-popular feature, would sure be nice!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 18:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bump?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 23:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just thought of this and am interested too. I can't find much of anything either. Did you email AnchorFree for an account? I went to their (CRAP) site but one link just re-links to another link with no explanation. I was hoping for a form to fill out (like PayPal) and get an account setup.

And the two SSIDs is interesting. I didn't know that I had two radios in that aging Buffalo router...the FON fairy came by last night! Razz
Falcon4
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
It doesn't have two radios (well, an "unused" one for example), SSIDs are just part of radio signal clutter. I imagine the radio can be manipulated to both send and receive two independent SSIDs... I just never imagined the capability was built into a 2mb Flash image.

Goddang, the lack of conversation and attention to this problem is quite discouraging. It's a really promising and useful feature but is being sorely overlooked by the people that no doubt put a good amount of work into implementing. I'm glad one person replied, if just to say they're interested as well. All I ask for is at least a little more conversation around the topic?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have issues with the Anchorfree support as well. DHCP works just fine, but I can't get internet access on the "AnchorFree WiFi" SSID. I don't really know how this is supposed to work, so it's hard to even start debugging...

This is on a WRT54GS with the voip firmware.
kode
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 16:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well for me anchorfree is working to get wireless access (this is on a WRT54G v5.1, with ddwrt 24 SP1 micro, however my statistics are never kept, and I always receive emails that my account has changed succesfully for no reason.

Logging is kind of weird because it never works, and the forgot password isn't working unless I click on apply settings on the My add network tab on the router after which I receive an email again that my account has changed to the e-mailaddress it was.... I can then resend my password and when I login my statistics are always 0 (and I know some people are using it as they are in the LAN-overview with an ip from the correct ip-range(and internet is working on it). I also see another persons data(name, address and so on) instead of mine, the data usually changes when I wait a couple of days and I restart the proces.

I contacted anchorfree multiple times, but they never replied. (although this is quite crazy as I can get access to other persons information)

Perhaps somebody of the dd-wrt-crew can tell us a little bit more about anchorfree and if it's working for them?
Apollopimp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
"bump"

I would also like more info on how to use this.
veloslave
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:36    Post subject: Doing the bump (and grind) Reply with quote
Finally got some fat pipe... would be nice to make a buck or two back from it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.clickz.com/3632640

Funney I have this working as well, I have had the same results as everyone else here. The adds are working but Anchorfree is not talking. In that link it has a quote:
-----
With the Hotspot Shield, AnchorFree's team does not negotiate contracts with small businesses that provide Wi-Fi service. Instead, consumers come to AnchorFree for the free download.

"Our usage is so much bigger with the Hotspot Shield. We don't have to share revenue with hotspot [providers] and we have aggregated millions of hotspot users," he said, explaining why the company has switched its focus.
-----

lol I wonder how long they will let me run there adds on my network without getting any contact from them ?
MichelG
DD-WRT Guru

Location: Galati - RO / Kishinev - MD / Geneva - CH / Tarragona - E

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 16:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, the question is : do we really need to keep anchorfree on the firmwares, if we dont have support, or we dont earn revenues from it ?

Would be interesting to have feedback from BS / Eko about this.

Michel.

All Senao EOC-2610 V1.10 Std 15362 BS
1x UBNT Bullet 2 - RP 18dB Panel - 11Mbps - 13Km link
djhowzer
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 19:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
The question is more... Is anyone getting paid for goign thro them ?

Also does anyone know of anyother network that will pay you for running there adds ?? I contacted jwire, and they sent me a email stating

Hello,

We’ll be glad to help in any way we can. We engage WISPs that aggregate 100k or more monthly user sessions and share the ad revenue with them. Roughly how many monthly users do you expect to have?

Thanks!

Jim Vetter
Director Business Development | JiWire, Inc.
Office: +1 (415) 877 1267 | Mobile: +1 (415) 606 8542 | Fax: +1 (415) 449-3578
jvetter@jiwire.com | www.jiwire.com
--------

thats jwire, and no where on there site does it say you need 100k users

I think this ad thing for wifi is dead unless your a owner of a big wisp.
Maxpowered
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 23:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've seen the options Sputnik and Anchorfree recently while serching for RADIUS options in DD-WRT. I wonder
a) why there's no integrated RADIUS server in DD-WRT and
b) why there's useless clutter like Sputnik and Anchorfree in the firmware :?

I think they are useless for the users but are possibly part of a DD-WRT revenue generating strategy: Taking cash from Sputnik and Anchorfree via a hard-coded "partner ID" Evil or Very Mad

However, as long as DD-WRT doen't officialy comments on this issue, it's a very shady part of the firmware.
Hope there are no other hidden surprises/cash-generators in the DD-WRT firmware, botnet style maybe. I'm no coder, I can't check the sources and even if I could do so, the compiled binaries for the "masses" could have a different content Confused
kt_haddock
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Falcon4 wrote:
Bump?

http://www.anchorfree.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 23:04    Post subject: AnchorFree Reply with quote
Well, I don't see anything about it in the forums, just a lot of questions... so I took it upon myself to do a little digging...

Per a telephone conversation with AnchorFree (by calling them at 877-869-4731, they "Discontinued the wifi hotspot program a long time ago"

Since the program no longer exists, its just taking up space with no purpose.... How about removing it from all current builds, and using the space for something more useful, like Pixelserv (yeah, I know we can add it, but having it built in would be nice)
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:35    Post subject: Re: AnchorFree Reply with quote
azuretech wrote:

Since the program no longer exists, its just taking up space with no purpose.... How about removing it from all current builds

I think if you load a current build then you'll not find AnchorFree

Navigation

Jump to: