High CPU Load Average on Linksys WRT54GS 2.1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
MacGyver0013
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:34    Post subject: High CPU Load Average on Linksys WRT54GS 2.1 Reply with quote
My Linksys WRT54GS 2.1 with DD-WRT v24 has a high CPU load average. The average is up around 5.0 to 8.0, sometimes peaking to 9.0+. My memory usage is only at about 70%. The load average used to be around 0.2 to 1.0 without any issues. Since this has started, I have added about 5 more MAC addresses to my static DHCP table, totaling about 15 or so now. All of these computer are never even on at once however, maybe 5-6 at a time max.

I have also added the Actiontec MI424WR as it is being used as a bridge for my Coax network to use the MoCA protocol for VOD traffic. I currently have a EZXS16W switch connected to my WRT54GS 2.1 and from that switch is another WRT54G 3.0 in router mode for another access point and switch for hardline in another location in the building. All other services on the WRT54G 3.0 have been shut down.

My wireless is WPA2 PSK and I currently only have one intended client connected to it so there is no unauthorized traffic over wireless. My hardlined connected clients are pretty tight as well, I am aware of every computer on the network and what is running on them.

I have removed all static DHCP assignments in my router to see if the load average dropped back down but it remained high, even after power downs and reboots.

I have also removed the Actiontec from the network, load average remained high.

The traffic/internet speed is fine however. I don't really see any bottlenecks in traffic but I haven't really pushed the LAN to the limits yet.

Something strange I noticed. If you had a chance to read my forum on the scripts that I am running:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=34800&highlight=

you will see that I have a CPU load meter script on my DMZ LED and wireless activity meter script on my SES LED. My DMZ light is going crazy since (my max setting is at 1.55 which I set up since the router rarely ever got higher than that). My SES LEDs are not performing as expected either. Both orange and white LEDs should be off when there is no wireless clients connected, orange when there is at least one client connected and blink over orange with white when there is wireless activity with a client. When all wireless clients are disabled, the orange LED remains on yet the wireless clients connected section on the GUI shows nothing. When there is a client on, the WLAN LED and white LED blinks like crazy even though there is no wireless activity happening on the client. This script was working just fine until the CPU load started to remain high.

My questions are:

A) Is there a specific service running that would make the router run this high load average?

B) Is there a way I can telnet in and view the processes that are running along with their CPU usage stats? I have tried the ps command but it doesn't really show me what process is using what percentage of the CPU.

C) If I reset and reload my current config file, will the problem remain or go away? I realize that the answer to this question could depend on multiple things.
Sponsor
MacGyver0013
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't know why this solved the issue, but I have installed v24 SP1 and loaded my config file from v24 and the CPU load is back to normal. Nothing has changed on the network layout at all.

Just to be safe, I went back and loaded v24 SP1 with defaults and re-did all the settings manually instead of using a config file from v24. Its a pain in the ass but if all the settings are documented, its not all that bad.

So far, with about 450 connections, the CPU load stays below 2.0 running at 228 MHz. Question is, will this load average go up after a couple of days?

I have also noticed that my jffs partition has less available than with v24. Anybody know why?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: