Actiontec MI424WR can it be supported?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> ARM or PPC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
98EXL
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
is the small nat table within the A/T a hardware or firmware problem?

I don't use the A/T, use a dd-wrt linksys and a nim100 to get the VOD to work.
Sponsor
cherry31415
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Eebobb wrote:
Are we getting this soon or is there issues getting DD-WRT to run right ?

I'm not working on a dd-wrt port. Last time I looked, the sources and/or necessary tools weren't available. If you want it, you'll have to do some work and use openwrt.
98EXL
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 13:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
isn't it easier to just go get a Linksys box, put dd-wrt on it, and call it a day rather than wait for a port?
HeXeD
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
So is anyone working on a DD-WRT port? If the use of the coaxial is not going to happen, will we at least see a port using the ethernet and wireless on this thing?
HeXeD
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 17:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
98EXL wrote:
isn't it easier to just go get a Linksys box, put dd-wrt on it, and call it a day rather than wait for a port?

I would agree, except I need all the processing power I can get and this thing has it. My 20/20 connection was just too much for my linksys running DD-WRT.. however I haven't tried a 600N or anything like that as my linksys.

This router can be bought for 20$ and has sooo much potential from what I can see. Would be an amazing router for such a cheap cost.
98EXL
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 17:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
HeXeD wrote:
98EXL wrote:

I would agree, except I need all the processing power I can get and this thing has it. My 20/20 connection was just too much for my linksys running DD-WRT.. however I haven't tried a 600N or anything like that as my linksys.

This router can be bought for 20$ and has sooo much potential from what I can see. Would be an amazing router for such a cheap cost.

yeah, I know it's pretty beefy, but I think it may just be easier to beef up the firmware or one of the 600N's, done and done.

I can't believe you have the 20/20 service, that's nuts! I have the 20/5 and it's killer
Eebobb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
cherry31415 wrote:
Eebobb wrote:

I'm not working on a dd-wrt port. Last time I looked, the sources and/or necessary tools weren't available. If you want it, you'll have to do some work and use openwrt.

I don't know much about doing that stuff unless you have a tutorial on how to do it and what to use. I also have the newest Rev.D Actiontec.
05dyna
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 14:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
cherry31415 wrote:
Eebobb wrote:

cherry31415 – if you need another A/T to work on shoot me an IM and send you mine. Unless there is going to be a Tftp.exe flash utility I’m afraid I'm not going to manage to upgrade the device either, simply put it’s too advanced for me…. obviously I’d pay the shipping up & back and whenever you think is reasonable for your time want to charge to flash it if/when you get it working.

Eebobb wrote:
cherry31415 wrote:
Eebobb wrote:

I don't know much about doing that stuff unless you have a tutorial on how to do it and what to use. I also have the newest Rev.D Actiontec.
If you are not having any problems just keep the A/T. The main problem is the small Nat table and you will only see that come into play with too many bittorent concurrent connections. Even with that you could tweak the torrent client by reducing the number of connections and make that go away, at least I was able to do so on mine just before I retired my A/T. I agree with HeXeD, if you look at the A/T specs and compare any other retail router you will see the A/T has nice specs, so that’s one reason why I’d like to go back to the A/T, the other reason it would remove the NIM100 so it be one less device.

The only other option is maybe someone could hack the Nat table in the existing firmware and we live with the cheesy A/T interface since this may not happen, I hope on wrong on that…The A/T would be great with ANY 3rd party firmware on it. Even the wireless controls aren't good on the A/T firmware but I think most users would look past that if the Nat issue were resolved. when you get right down to it the A/T firmware does suck with the continuous nag screens, another reason why A/T users would like this to succeed....
cherry31415
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
For those interested in my work, I maintain a wiki page here. The router itself is working but the built-in wireless card does not work in AP mode; I have no plans to work on the proprietary coax interface.

I've written a python script that can install OpenWrt, so no JTAG is required. It makes a backup of the existing image and then can install Redboot. One other person was brave enough to try and he is up and running. I've also tried the script on another jungo-based router (WRV54G) and it seems to work. I should also add that I only have the rev A units; maybe it'll work on the newer ones but I don't know. Looking at the pictures, the newer versions have a different layout and I don't see a place for the JTAG connector.

The current status is that it partially works, but does require quite a bit of knowledge about linux to get things up and running. If you want to learn a bit and you have the time, then give it a try. If you just want a simple install and run without too much work then this is not mature enough for you.
HeXeD
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 16:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any new information from BS? Sounds great that we have someone getting open wrt on it but it would be nice to know how far along the dd-wrt devs are in making this a reality.
HeXeD
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's been over 4 months since someone even related to the project has responded. Any news yet? Major roadblocks? Anything would be nice to know about now. Got a 700MHz PIII computer running my linux firewall and dying to get a little powerful router running DD-WRT to replace that ridiculous box under my desk.
05dyna
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
HeXeD wrote:
It's been over 4 months since someone even related to the project has responded. Any news yet? Major roadblocks? Anything would be nice to know about now. Got a 700MHz PIII computer running my linux firewall and dying to get a little powerful router running DD-WRT to replace that ridiculous box under my desk.
My guess is we will not see dd-wrt for the ActionTec however it looks like Cherry is still working on the OpenWRT. It appears the wiki page was last edited 2008-11-03. That said if you want to dump that 700mhz system take a look at the Asus WL-500G Premium V2 router. I just picked one up and so far so good. It will take the standard but I installed the micro version, I’m very happy with it. it was easy to flash and the price isn’t bad, here it is with a $30 rebate that expires on 11/30/08 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320030
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 14:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
nothing new yet. bs need some spare time for the port. i dont know if he wants to port to the orig bootloader or if he wants to create a new redboot
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
I’ve actually bookmarked this topic as one of my homepage/tabs so I’ve been watching it daily since page 7 so I’ve haven’t given up hope. That said I hope he could make it happen. I’m no expert but I’ve had a few different (home) routers over the years. dd-wrt blows away everything else I’ve ever seen.

I could only assume dd-wrt running on a Linksys @ 240 mhz wouldn’t be the same running it on a 533mhz device, especially when that is over fios connection. Last week I had the Linksys connected and I downloaded 1.8GB file @ 2.5MB per second. While the D/L was happening I tried to toggle between the dd-wrt web-admin pages and needless to say the pages just came to a crawl. I wasn’t making any router changes I was only trying to view the bandwidth page. I’m thinking it would have been a non-issue if were an ActionTec w/533 MHz processor. Probably not a big need for doing that but the Linksys was definitely slowed by both tasks.

This of OT but on a side note someone in another forum (another site) said running dd-wrt firmware could result in speed lost but I didn’t find that to be true at all….I ran numerous speed tests on both the Linksys and Asus I didn’t see any speed lost whatsoever. FWIW all my dd-wrt speed test were done with v24_micro
HeXeD
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 22:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes... I agree completely. I have been through different linux firewall distros and simple ol ip tables. Nothing beats DD-WRT for ease of use as well as more advanced routing/wireless capabilities. One of the main problems with the slower processor routers is not only is fios 20/20 connections hard to maintain without abusing the router all the time, adding services like QOS and other options make it even more difficult for the router to keep up with a 20mb connection. The highest I see is 300MHz for general upgradable routers. IF this could do a 20/20 connection and a good amount of QOS at the same time (like my 700MHz PIII does) then I would give up on the idea of using this actiontec I bought. But hopefully with the information Sash has given us, it appears there is still hope. Thanks for the information Sash!

Currently these routers are on ebay for 20-30$. I could totally see this router being a hot item as it can do everything with DD-WRT, faster than any other router out there. And if I am not mistaken by what I have read, the wireless card can be (and may need to be?) changed out. Couple that with changing out the antenna and you have one bad ass device for under 100. IF you ditch the idea of replacing the antenna, it could be an excellent router for close to 50. Either way you look at it, I would assume this would be the holy grail if DD-WRT ever comes to this actiontec.

I applaud whatever work is being done for dd-wrt on this router as well as the work people in this thread are putting in for open-wrt. Let us know if anything changes.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 35, 36, 37  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 10 of 37
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> ARM or PPC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: