CFE compressors available for some neutered Linksys units

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:49    Post subject: CFE compressors available for some neutered Linksys units Reply with quote
This TOP post will contain the currently supported units...no need to search through this entire thread for updates....redhawk

Hello all,

Many ask about the Micro_Plus builds. Check here for past discussion.

We now have the CFE compression routine finished for the following units. (more to follow in this thread...this top post will include updates as they come online)

[NOTE] - It has been found that if you run the compressor on the V5.X units...that you can NOT revert to Linksys BSP and Firmware using the Bitsum process for reversion. The only way to revert back to vxworks is to use JTAG to manually flash it back.....You have been warned!!! (02/06/09)

WRT54G v5.0, v5.1, v6 - includes file and readme document

WRT54G v8.0 - includes file and readme document.

WRT54G v8.1 - A compressor will not be available for the WRT54G v8.1 - it already has a 128K CFE....it can run micro+ without updating the CFE.

WRT54G v8.2 - includes file and readme document.

WRT54G2v1 - A compressor will not be available for the G2v1 - after installing dd-wrt, it already has a 128K CFE...it can run micro+ without updating the CFE

WRT54GS v7.2
- Follow steps exactly as if you had a V8 model. The RAM settings will be automatically set for your 16M of RAM.
- this is NOT for the GSV7.0...this model is still untested and the CFE is different from the GSV7.2 so it may not work on a GSV7 model
- at this time...only a single GSv7.2 has been updated...use with caution...Brickage is still possible...please report any successes on the GSv7.2 units. (I'll then remove this message as more become updated)

Check back here for updates as we get them tested and made available.

[NOTE:] If using Mac/Linux for the tftp flash read this

[EDIT] - please don't ask about a specific model's availability...we will get them posted as we get them tested.

redhawk

Last edited by redhawk0 on Sun May 10, 2015 20:05; edited 16 times in total
Sponsor
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 13:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Pretty Slick Guys...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 19:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
Pretty Slick Guys...

It sure is.

Se7en is Darker...
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 19:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would like to report that I have installed the CFE compressor on a V5, and a V8 with no issues.

Both devices are currently running as client bridges.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I also installed the micro + (plus) versions of dd-wrt. That's the reason for compressing the CFE in the first place. Embarassed

Last edited by barryware on Thu Oct 02, 2008 20:43; edited 1 time in total
sai0x0x
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks a lot. I have been waiting for this CFE.

Updated successfully.

Now with telnet i will have more cmds and have more fun.
cwarky
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 15:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Successfully here also.
Updated WRT54G v5.0 w/o any problem.

PS: i have one big question : one night i was bored and decided to put 16M ram on my unit. successfully done enabled those 16M as for GS v5.0 units. how can i make this change permanent w/o needing to run those commands after each factory defaults? tried to modify cfe.bin as for GS unit but something went wrong and had to jtag. can it be done in the new cfe.bin? thx alot
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
cwarky wrote:
Successfully here also.
Updated WRT54G v5.0 w/o any problem.

PS: i have one big question : one night i was bored and decided to put 16M ram on my unit. successfully done enabled those 16M as for GS v5.0 units. how can i make this change permanent w/o needing to run those commands after each factory defaults? tried to modify cfe.bin as for GS unit but something went wrong and had to jtag. can it be done in the new cfe.bin? thx alot

Send a PM to Tornado. The location of the CFE variable has changed so the original commands won't work. Tornado would know the address location for the RAM size settings.

redhawk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 18:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thx a lot for answer redhawk0 and sorry for being offtopic. I mention that those commands run w/o problems for compressed cfe so i'm sure WRT54GS v5.0 users can use compressed cfe.bin from WRT54G v5.0 and then run them to enable 16M ram. My question was regarding modification of compressed cfe.bin.
I followed your advice and pm'ed Tornado.

Thx again for your interest and time
Best regards
oekintaro
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
in a WRT54Gv8.0 installation goes fine, and web gui is a little faster, but after several hours the router hangs up. Can't tell how many hours, when I go to bed it's fine, when I wake up is dead. It just stops working, all lights on, and a very (VERY) slow blink of the port 1 light. After a power cycle it goes back to "normal".

Firmware Version: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (09/26/0Cool micro - build 10431M NEWD Eko

Is there any new or old build I can test?
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
oekintaro wrote:

Is there any new or old build I can test?

Do a hard reset of the router (30-30-30 reset)
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 21:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Along with the 30/30/30, set max ports to 1024, and both timeouts to 120. I believe the firmware default is 512 for max ports.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
I did as you said, but with no change in the behavior.
If anything it is happenig more frequently now.

My guess (and thats all it is, a GUESS) is that the problem is from the WAN side... Everything works fine until I plug the modem to the wan port. When the wrt54g connects via pppoe, the web gui goes slower, the cpu goes to 75-95%, and after a short while it stops working. But I checked and LAN Wired connections between 2 PC works fine. I can use radmin to view each others desktops, and playback video from the other's hard drive. At that time, if I ping 192.168.1.1 I get response just fine, but if I try to Telnet it keeps waiting forever.

Help?
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 18:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
oekintaro wrote:

Help?

You should start a new thread rather than using this announcement thread for this problem. I doubt it is related to CFE compression. Start a new thread and everyone will help you sort it out.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 18:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
how is it going with this project right now ??

Is it safe to upgrade my wrt54g v5 with this new stuff ?
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
bugmenever wrote:
how is it going with this project right now ??

Is it safe to upgrade my wrt54g v5 with this new stuff ?

I have a wrt54g v.5 and I am running it. However, if you don't need to run busybox commands, I don't think there is any need to compress the firmware. You can still only put a modified micro on the router. If micro is doing fine for you now, keep it.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 13
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: