Xbox 360 Wireless and WRTG54 v8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Doh004
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 14:23    Post subject: Xbox 360 Wireless and WRTG54 v8 Reply with quote
Hey all,

So I recently flashed my router (see topic) with DD-WRT v24 (05/24/0Cool micro . Everything has been great except for now my Xbox 360 (using the Microsoft USB wireless) cannot maintain its connection to Xbox Live. When I start the 360 up normally, it's able to connect; however, everything is very sluggish, and I can only sometimes connect to games or private chats. But the weird part is that after some amount of time, I get completely disconnected from Live (not my router connection).

So I try to reconnect... no luck. I run the connection test, and it fails on obtaining an IP address. However, it gets even weirder because sometimes it passes the IP Address test, and fails at the ICMP part.

I currently have my router running a DHCP server; however, I've added the Xbox, along with its Mac Address, to the static lease, so that it's assigned the same IP address every time. That works when I initially start up the system, but doesn't seem to work when I try to reconnect.

I never had this issue with the standard Linksys firmware, and my other two wireless computers, and a wired server, are able to connect without any issues.

Please do help Sad
Sponsor
cid92
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you tested the connection on the Network blade of the 360 console? Might want to try and and see what the results are. On that blade you will also see the wireless signal strength. Could have some issues there. A friend of mine was having some issues with signal strength and I got him a USB extension cable. He's had no issues since adding the cable and moving the Xbox wireless device literally 10 inches away from the box into an area where the wireless signal was great.

I think the better way to get your 360 connected is to statically assign an IP address directly on the 360 itself. Then in DD-WRT do two things. One, put the 360 IP address in as the DMZ address. This way you have complete and unblocked access to the web with the 360. Two, setup the 360 with QoS priority in the QoS section of DD-WRT.
Blackraven
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 18:00    Post subject: Re: Xbox 360 Wireless and WRTG54 v8 Reply with quote
Doh004 wrote:
So I try to reconnect... no luck. I run the connection test, and it fails on obtaining an IP address. However, it gets even weirder because sometimes it passes the IP Address test, and fails at the ICMP part.

Xbox live requires very low ping times, so if you can wire it up, that's better. For ICMP you need to uncheck the "Block Anonymous WAN Requests (ping)" in the security tab. A 'static' IP set from the router should work though, but you could try cid92's advice regarding that.
There's no need to enable the DMZ, enabling uPnP should be enough for the proper port forwards.

retired:
WRT54GL v1.1 DD-WRT v24-SP2 vpn - build 10550
WRT610N v1 DD-WRT v24-preSP2 - build 14929 mega
chunkyks
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm seeing this exact same issue, exactly as described. I cannot connect to xbox live, the network tests seem to progress either as far as IP address [and fail there], or to ICMP [and then fail there].

I have enabled uPNP and am not blocking anonymous pings, and I still get the same result. Strangely, this has only started happening very recently. I've been running this version of dd-wrt [v24 vpn] for a long time now, and only in the last week or so have I found myself unable to connect to xbox live.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Gary (-;
chunkyks
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh, and of note is that I'm using a wrt54g v2, not 8 like the original poster.

Gary (-;
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 21:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
disable uPnp, and forward the appropriate ports to your xBox's IP.

Port 3074 (Both udp & tcp)
Port 88 (UDP only)

Other members may argue, but my steup works.. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
BTW.... The test network connection fails for me, but Xbox Live works perfectly fine.
wickett
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 18:53    Post subject: port forwarding appears to work Reply with quote
I followed the advice here, of disabling uPnp and port forwarding the following ports.

Port 3074 (Both udp & tcp)
Port 88 (UDP only)

I get a notice from xbox live saying that it might experience problems logging in, but it seems to work and netflix is streaming in HD through the xbox (this hung before) so it seems resolved.

BTW, I have a linksys WRT 150n v1.1 with the standard generic release.
creaky
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I always leave UPNP running and forward the relevant ports. No problems here on two 360's..

3 node setup ~ WPA2 AES comprising WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1 (EKO 12548)
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
creaky wrote:
I always leave UPNP running and forward the relevant ports. No problems here on two 360's..

If you got more than one (xbox), you must use upnp or else the xbox's will fight for the ports & ip.

I only have one.. Static IP on the xbox, forward the ports, open nat and no problems.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:27    Post subject: xbox 360 wireless and wrt54g v6 ICMP errors Reply with quote
Hopefully you can help me with this. I'm pulling my hair out. I've had dd wrt on my wrt54gv6 for a while now and have been playing xbox live w/ open NAT ever since. I had my xbox wired to my laptop with a bridge to the wireless connection to AP. I just installed the wireless adapter and connects to AP and Internet fine in test but fails on xbox live saying "router isn't properly reponding to ICMP responses." I have static addressing on xbox and all 3 ports forwarded. I have tried putting the xbox in DMZ and shutting firewall down completely just to see if it changes but no results. I even flashed Linksys firmware back on the router and it works flawlessly. I flashed the newest NEWD build for my neutered router back on and same results with ICMP error. I always have disabled the "block anonymous WAN requests" so I am lost as to what the problem could be. I have searched every screen in DD WRT and nothing seems to stand out. This has been the closest description of the problem i have found so far. Please help if you can. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: