WNR834B v2 - Hardware Hacking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
KeithB
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 23:26    Post subject: WNR834B v2 - Hardware Hacking Reply with quote
I wanted to inspect the internal antennas and other router components. I was pleasantly surprised to find all three antennas use Hirose U.FL snap-on connections at the circuit board, and are fastened to the case using sticky tape. This makes removing the internal antennas and installing higher-gain external antennas ridiculously simple! Smile I found U.FL to RP-SMA pigtails on e-Bay for just $2 USD each, and I already have a surplus of 5 dBi and 7 dBi antennas to mount to the case. The most difficult part will be drilling out the plastic case to accept the surface-mount RP-SMA jack. :D

Here are the pictures of the finished project.

Internal Antennas.jpg
 Description:
WNR834B v2 - Internal antennas
 Filesize:  19.41 KB
 Viewed:  23746 Time(s)

Internal Antennas.jpg

U_FL_Connections.jpg
 Description:
WNR834B v2 - three U.FL connectors
 Filesize:  27.71 KB
 Viewed:  23746 Time(s)

U_FL_Connections.jpg

Last edited by KeithB on Fri May 01, 2009 23:50; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
phubar
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 0:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
that's the same thing I've done with my routers, but I mixed and matched, I had all sort of different pigtails laying around, so 2 of them use rp-tnc linksys antennae, 1 uses regular rp-sma and the other sma.

Did you notice if your center antenna is working properly? it doesn't seem to work in any of my routers, see my thread http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=44195 for more information.
Gigaah
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for your investigation. This makes setting up dd-wrt N wifi at my friends house easier and cheaper using this router
taiguy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just performed the same modification to my WNR834Bv2 router with DD-WRT. After making the switch to 9 dBi antennas (from RFsupplier.com) I noticed that my SNR is much lower and overall speed has gone done noticeably. A member in another thread said that it might be the antennas I chose. Any feedback?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: