Wireless Security settings not saved

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
kemis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
So far, I've tried about 4-5 different firmwares. Something interesting is that on my laptop here, I'm now seeing "192.168.1.1" with the MAC of the router show up when I do an "arp -a".

Anyway, I've tried all sorts of different timing & tftp methods. I think it's time for me to give up.

I'll wait for my JTAG cables to arrive off eBay & start collecting data on that process. In the mean time, I'm looking for another WRT160N v1 & will be flashing it with the test builds discussed earlier & now do a 30/30/30 before/after each flash. It'll be interesting to see if my *original* wireless settings problem reappears on a new router under the new 30x3 regime.

Thanks so much for all your help. It's obvious I've found a great community in which to get involved!

Matt
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry that you have to Jtag, but it isn't a big deal. Make sure you do some research on the process. Take a look at my first post....

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=211561&highlight=#211561
kemis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 16:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, I just spent 2 hours searching every store in my town for another 160N v1 & finally found one at Office Depot.

Step-by-step:
1. Logged onto Linksys interface.
2. Uploaded Eko's dd-wrt.v24-10431_NEWD_mini.bin (v24 SP2 beta).
3. Setup username/password.
4. Configured WPA2 Personal wireless security (left SSID as DD-WRT). Applied settings. Looks like they saved okay.
5. Reboot router via the Administration Page.
6. Logged back in & wireless security is back to "Disabled."

I haven't tried build 10509 yet, but my guess is it's the same issue.

So, we're back to square one. Any ideas now that I know to 30/30/30 so I don't brick another router?

Thanks! Smile
Matt
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Clear the Nvram. Try again. Try wpa2 and wep...see if they work. Try another build type(won't standard fit?)

You did hit apply as well as save, right?
kemis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I honestly think I've been dealing with two different problems:

1) No, I don't think I understood (and still don't quite fully understand) the diff between "Save" and "Apply settings". I now know, though, that just "saving" the wireless settings had no effect. I had to "Apply" them.

2) The WEP setting I think was a bug where I was only entering the WEP key directly (rather than using a Passphrase to "generate" it). When I did this, even "apply" didn't work.

In any case, I'm now on SP2 (10431) & have been using the Apply button instead of Save & all is okay again.

I'm still confused as to why anyone would want to "save" settings but not have them be permanently "applied". The wording seems very strange to me (save doesn't really save).

THANKS!
Matt
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
I look at "save" as a kind of a test mode...check things out prior to making them permanent.

It confused me, as well, for a while.....

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
kemis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
And I'm assuming that it's the "known bug" in SP1 that doesn't save wireless settings is why even after temporarily "saving" the settings, a wireless network scan using my laptop still showed no security on the network?

Matt
Mojo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's more than a "save" issue. You can "apply settings" also and they are not "saved."
soulstace
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 17:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
kemis wrote:
I'm still confused as to why anyone would want to "save" settings but not have them be permanently "applied". The wording seems very strange to me (save doesn't really save).

Yes, it's confusing until you get the hang of it. The purpose of Save is to avoid nvram commit (write) for every little change and also decreases load on the router and speeds up configuration.
RAF
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Got the 160N aswell and the security settings did work with the v24 firmware.
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: