REPEATER finally workin in my Fonera 2100 and DDWRT 24Sp1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
djkad
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 15:26    Post subject: REPEATER finally workin in my Fonera 2100 and DDWRT 24Sp1 Reply with quote
Hi all..i'm so happy..Tried for 2 days to configure my fonera for work as repeater (not WDS) and now it's working!!!
I'm typing this message from my laptop connected "wireless" to fonera. Fonera is also "wireless" connected to my other AP "thomson".
It's working good for now. i can bring my lil fonera everywhere and plug just the power supply..no wire!! I'm listening streaming radio for see if the signal is continuous and no problems for now. I can see other laptop and pc connected in the main router thomson (wired pcs and wireless laptops).
I want to clarify something because i've spent most of time flashing my fon for find the right version with "Repeater mode" available. Well...I couldn't find. No matter, because "YOU DON'T NEED" that function. All u need is to follow these steps.
U have to think first ur fonera like a client bridge for estabilish a connection between Fonera and Main AP. Then you will extend this functionality also for wifi clients using a Virtual interface as VAP.
NOTE: Client Bridge only or WDS Settings permits you to create just a Channel BRIDGE for 2 wired lan (in the main ap you will have still wifi clients allowed but not in fonera)

This is a "Repeater Mode"

I show you all my settings. Hope it can help

Primary access point (thomson)

Ip: 192.168.1.254
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
DHCP enable From 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.150
SSId="Net"
Wifi auth WPA Passkey="pippo"
Port available (4 ethernet ports (4 PC connected actually) + wifi (3 laptop + now the fonera!!!))

Fonera settings:

Setup > Basic setup:
Connection Type : Automatic Configuration DHCP (because my primary access point use DHCP)
STP: Disable (don't know why)
Router Name : Whatever you want..i used Repeater
Router IP:
Local IP Address: 192.168.1.120 (because my main router assign number from .100 to .150)
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0 (The same of main router)
Gateway: 192.168.1.254 (The same of main router)
Local DNS: 192.168.1.254 (The same of main router)
Network Address Server Settings (DHCP)
DHCP Type= DHCP Server (I will assign ip also to laptop connected wireless or wired to fonera)
Start ip address: 192.168.1.200 (I could use also from .151 because from .100 to .150 are used by my main router)
Maximum DHCP Users: 44 (Because 192.168.1.254 is used by my main router)

Setup>Advanced Routing:
Operating mode: Rip2 Router

Wireless > Basic settings
Regulatory Domain: (ITALY)
Wireless Mode: Client Bridge (Don't worry..You will use ath0 for client bridge and a virtual interface for accept also WIFI users in fonera)
Wireless Network Name: Net (the same as main router)
Virtual Interfaces (add one):
Wireless Network Name(SSID): Net2 (u can write whatever u want..like Net helper LOL)
Wireless Mode: AP

Wireless > Wireless Security (U will be surprised to see the possibility to configure protection also for virtualinterface)
Wireless Security (ath0)
Security Mode (WPA Personal) (the same kind of the main router)
WPA Algorithms: TKIP (the same of main router)
WPA Shared Key: pippo (the same passphrase of the main router)
Virtual Interfaces (ath1)
Security Mode: WPA Personal (U can choose the kind of protection u want..I used the same kind of protection because i prefer WPA)
WPA Algorithms: TKIP
WPA Shared Key: pluto

Status>Wireless>Site Survey>Join to the SSID of main router for connect fonera (and estabilish the client bridge)

Enjoy...

Now i'm studyin the radius protocol for create a custom HOTSPOT application for hotels/B&B

(Connection still stable after one hour)
Sponsor
mrdally204
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the very detailed outline I'll be sure to give this a run soon. A question to anyone out there, if I name the VAP SSID and wireless security key the exact same as the main AP, will my wireless client then be able to seamlessly communicate with both the VAP and the main AP seamlessly or will this create a conflict. My thought is to have as much area being covered wireless as possible without the need for switching AP in the software of whatever client I am using. If this is unclear what I want to do please let me know and I will try and explain better.
djkad
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
yes it will work: use the same channel, same protection parameters and same ssid Wink
Simon
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi djkad,

I could not use the F*nera as a wireless repeater because of Ticket #193 at: http://svn.dd-wrt.com:8000/dd-wrt/ticket/193

Has BrainSlayer fixed it or found a workaround so that the vap "DOES NOT DISCONNECT" if the client gets "DISCONNECTED"? I did a quick scan and it still appears to be un-resolved and BS has given it a "won't fix" label.

I've use only Broadcoms as repeaters because of this very reason.

-Simon
ben00net
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:18    Post subject: No Internet connection from Bridge Reply with quote
Thanks for these instructions. I managed to get my Dlink DIR-615 to work as a repeater with respect to it being recognised etc, however I do not get internet access from it.

Any ideas on what I may have not set up correctly?

Happy to share whatever settings you think I need to put up here etc.

My Source router (i'll call router1) is also a Dlink DIR-615. It see's the other Router (Router2) but does not see an IP Address for that router.

My computers all see Router2 but do not get access to the internet.

Any help mightily appreciated.

Cheers

Ben
fyi2000
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 18:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Simon wrote:
I could not use the F*nera as a wireless repeater because of Ticket #193 at: http://svn.dd-wrt.com:8000/dd-wrt/ticket/193

Has BrainSlayer fixed it or found a workaround so that the vap "DOES NOT DISCONNECT" if the client gets "DISCONNECTED"? I did a quick scan and it still appears to be un-resolved and BS has given it a "won't fix" label.

OpenWrt neither. Probably a driver issue.
ben00net wrote:
Thanks for these instructions.

These instructions are incorrect and out of date. In Client Bridge mode you don't need wan interface. You shouldn't assign local ip address within the main router's ip pool and there's no need to activate local DHCP server. Read "Client Bridged - DD-WRT Wiki - V24 builds". To avoid strange behavior of Client Bridge mode, WDS link is more preferred. Read "WDS Linked router network - DD-WRT Wiki".
ben00net
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:18    Post subject: Got internet, but can't see devices attached to main router Reply with quote
Hi Everyone,

I managed to get my DLINK DIR-615 with DD-WRT to connect to a standard DLINK DIR-615 and the DD-WRT to act as a wireless repeater for internet.

The challenge I face is that you have to connect to it as a seperate log-in which then seems to make it not connected to the main router/network from a file sharing persepctive.

At the moment I have the main router SSID as Acker001 and the repeater/bridge is acker001 (lowercase a) - how can i get these to act as one network and not have to log in seperately to the bridge/repeater.

For example - if I want to share Itunes across all my machines is there a way to get the repeater to be treated as part of the orginal wireless network? or if i want my machines to see my Stora which is attached to (Acker001) from the other router (acker001)

Is that possible?

Cheers

Ben
fyi2000
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 21:49    Post subject: Re: Got internet, but can't see devices attached to main rou Reply with quote
ben00net wrote:
For example - if I want to share Itunes across all my machines is there a way to get the repeater to be treated as part of the orginal wireless network? or if i want my machines to see my Stora which is attached to (Acker001) from the other router (acker001)

This is what a repeater bridge does. Set the Wireless Physical Interface to Client Bridge mode and create a virtual interface and set it to AP mode. Both set to Bridged network.

The better way is to run WDS links. For the master AP, create a WDS AP and a virtual AP. Both set to Bridged network. For the client AP, create a WDS Station and a virtual AP. In the WDS setup, enable lazy WDS can ease the job. Just run different SSIDs to distinguish normal links and WDS links.

WDS Linked router network - DD-WRT Wiki
nahuelsin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 16:32    Post subject: use the wireless to give conection to the ethernet ports Reply with quote
Hello, I've read all de post and y followed all the steps and I've been success. Really what I need is to create the bridge with the wireless interface to give connection to the Ethernet ports.
Basically to use de router as a switch where I can't plug a cable to it because of the distance and others obstacles.
If I connect through wireless I can ping others ips of the subnet, but if a connect a pc with a cable to one of the Ethernet ports of the router I have no ping.
I'm using static ips.
How can I create a "bridge" between the wlan interface and the Ethernet ports.
I hope you understand me, sorry for my English.
fyi2000
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 19:52    Post subject: Re: use the wireless to give conection to the ethernet ports Reply with quote
nahuelsin wrote:
How can I create a "bridge" between the wlan interface and the Ethernet ports.

Under Wireless -> Basic Settings
Quote:
Network Configuration () Unbridged (o) Bridged

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi i don't want to bring back this topic up. But Im having trouble setting up my DIR 601 router as a repeater to extend signal downstairs I followed the wiki tutorial as well as alot of youtube step by step guides. My plan supposedly is to make my DIR 655 (no dd wrt installed) as the main router to disperse signal and using an old DIR 601 (with dd wrt installed) as a repeater. I can't seem to get internet access and all I get is no internet connection. is there a remedy for this? thank you
chiajead
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 23:37    Post subject: Re: REPEATER finally workin in my Fonera 2100 and DDWRT 24S Reply with quote
djkad wrote:
Hi all..i'm so happy..Tried for 2 days to configure my fonera for work as repeater (not WDS) and now it's working!!!
(...)

This info in plain wrong. This tut isn't about Repeater mode AKA "Client mode" but "WDS Client".
This is because you MUST use different subnets in order to work in real "Client Mode"

So if your router's primary Address is in 192.168.1.0/24 range, then your Repeater Router must be in a different subnet like: 192.168.2.0/24 or some other different network like 172.16.0.0/12 for instance.
bipolarbear
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 20:44    Post subject: Re: REPEATER finally workin in my Fonera 2100 and DDWRT 24S Reply with quote
chiajead wrote:
djkad wrote:
(...)

This info in plain wrong. This tut isn't about Repeater mode AKA "Client mode" but "WDS Client".
This is because you MUST use different subnets in order to work in real "Client Mode"

So if your router's primary Address is in 192.168.1.0/24 range, then your Repeater Router must be in a different subnet like: 192.168.2.0/24 or some other different network like 172.16.0.0/12 for instance.

Hi chiajead,

No, this tutorial most certainly is not about "WDS client." Nothing in the tutorial instructions say to set the router to "WDS" mode. The goal of this tutorial is to set up "Repeater Bridge" functionality.

I'm sorry but I don't understand how the settings of this tutorial are "wrong." If you could direct me to some better settings I would appreciate it. Presently I'm going to try the above settings and I'll report back how it seems to work.
bialabs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
you have solved my problem!
now my Tp-Link wr841nd v8 is a Repeater Bridge
I read about accidental disconnects ... can you tell me something?

thank you
Pr0xiMUS
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I managed to make my atheros based device (TP-LINK TL-WA901ND v2) as wireless repeater following guide. Only difference is that I choose WDS Station instead of Client brigde. Thanks

AP ROUTER - Thomson TG782 (8.6.Q.3 T-COM)
Security Mode: WPA-PSK
WPA-PSK Encryption: TKIP+AES
WPA-PSK Version: WPA+WPA2

REPEATER - TP Link TL-WA901ND v2
Wireless Mode: WDS Station + 1 virtual AP
FW: DD-WRT build 22118 (WAN port still not working but not actually needed for repeater Very Happy ) I've upgraded this AP to DD-WRT because in original firmware repeater mode only worked with security disabled - not acceptable for me so I switched to DD-WRT and voila Smile
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: