Latest firmware release discussions here!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
darthboy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 18:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Simon wrote:
Thank! for the warning, it'll save me a bit of trouble, as it takes a LONG time to flash a fon2100 and even MUCH longer for a fon2200. It's fortunate I was busy this weekend and postponed it. I guess I can wait awhile longer Sad

btw, did you remember to perform a format of the flash, "fis init -f" I'm not sure if it's a bug or what, reset/clear nvram oftentimes do not work or reset it properly. I sometimes forget to do it when I'm in a hurry.

-Simon

yep, I always do a -f to clear away ddwrt/openwrt/nvram partitions or whatever those are called.

I only did some quick testing though. Even clicking the DHCP renew didn't work. You know the Fonera has only 2 MAC addresses? With build 10690, a new MAC shows up under the Buffalo's connection table.

Fonera's MAC addresses:
XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:74
XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:75

The Buffalo reports a XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:76 is connected. On the fonera webif, WAN IP is shown as 0.0.0.0 and no internet access Rolling Eyes

Flashed back to RC4-8151 and all is fine.

Simon
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, the F*nera's are a bit "unique" and getting the wan to lan and their corresponding MAC straight can be daunting. Only the Meraki's were similar, but they's priced like $150-200 per unit now. I can get an embedded board+radio at that price.

I guess the bugs are understandable as the F*nera pre-releases were only made available very recently. I had a F*nera w/ stock firmware and it wasn't very reliable as well.
Seth7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 0:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is it me or has the was the last release for the fon was in July ??
Simon
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Latest release is today ( 2008-11-18 ) located at: http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/down.php?path=downloads%2Fothers%2Feko%2FBrainSlayer-V24-preSP2%2F181108%2Ffonera/

-Simon
mrdally204
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 15:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey simon can you comment on the new firmware as I assume you have tried it out. Whats different? How stable is it. Client/bridge any info would be great thanks.
Simon
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
So far, the newest firmware looks ok using simple AP and client-modes, nothing fancy. The webgui so far has not froze on me or crash. However, it does seem to leave less memory available, about 1.1 MB and lower. It's cutting it pretty close, perhaps we need a mini/micro edition for the f*nera.

-Simon
Seth7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 13:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
I used to have 2 Fon's back to back .... one as a AP the other as a client ... tied by a Ethernet cable .. with this new flash they no longer see each other ... i was using it like a controlled repeater ... But i must say that the VaP work rather nice now .... no long wait for the Client to find a connection before the Vap is connectible.
hardaway
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
For V24SP1 to V24preSP2 I have to use the redboot method? Or can I use the windows gui software?

Cheers!
Simon
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Flashing via the webui should work, unless it tell you immediately it has failed, meaning the flash layout is different, requiring redboot. However, I recommednd redboot, in some situations I noticed that you need to fully initialize the flash, fis init -f, as previous dd-wrt may leave some corrupted config file for new dd-wrt to use in an upgrade and causing unexplained behavior, though a 30s reset "may" clear the nvram area.

-Good Luck!

-Simon
priegog
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Simon wrote:
Flashing via the webui should work, unless it tell you immediately it has failed, meaning the flash layout is different, requiring redboot. However, I recommednd redboot, in some situations I noticed that you need to fully initialize the flash, fis init -f, as previous dd-wrt may leave some corrupted config file for new dd-wrt to use in an upgrade and causing unexplained behavior, though a 30s reset "may" clear the nvram area.

-Good Luck!

-Simon

Hi just a very stupid question.
I haven't browsed the forums in a while (or done anything with my fonera, probably since las May), And the last firmware I have is v24 RC5. The reason I stopped upgrading is sometime close to the release of v24 I read something about the usual method (I did the redboot thing)not cutting it anymore, and requiring a new, scary method. The wiki's seem to be outdated to the days of the RC's So I don't know where to look to install the newer, v24 SP1 Version. Can I just use the webui? Could someone point me in the right direction, and tell me if it's worth it to upgrade? Is the stable release v24 and up stable for use? Because I remember back in the day the later RC's were a mess, so I stuck with RC5. I'm specifically looking for the repeater mode (not available in RC5). Thanks
Simon
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try the pre-sp2 releases, they are fairly current:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/down.php?path=downloads%2Fothers%2Feko%2FBrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/

One pre-sp2 release caused lockups while another ran very stable, still in the testing stage I guess.

However, I would recommend waiting if your not comfortable with RedBoot or serial cables recovery.

-good luck..

-Simon
camp0s
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
About SP2 release:

i just upgraded the Fon (from SP1) via web-gui, i used the fonere-firmware.bin, it was the right file to process, right? Rolling Eyes

Cause, near the end it told "upgrade failed" but still, it processed untill the end, then i rebooted reverting back to default settings, eg 192.168.1.1 and up in the right corner it reported firmware version to SP2, current build (21-01-09) as everything went well.. just wondering!
Simon
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's the right firmware, although as stated earlier, I recommend RedBoot for this exact reason. When there's another new release you should re-upgrade via webgui and see how it goes, if it still have upgrade issues, try upgrading from RedBoot after doing a "full" initialization of the flash area and making whatever changes to the Redboot config... w/ a serail cable handy in case you screw up... :-)

-Good luck...

-Simon
emosh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Simon wrote:
Try the pre-sp2 releases, they are fairly current:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/down.php?path=downloads%2Fothers%2Feko%2FBrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/

One pre-sp2 release caused lockups while another ran very stable, still in the testing stage I guess.

However, I would recommend waiting if your not comfortable with RedBoot or serial cables recovery.

-good luck..

-Simon

Hello, I've been trying to use the V24-preSP2 on a FON2100. The problem I'm having is that after a reboot or power off it always looses all the configuration...

Have you guys heard of that before?

I have no problems to configure it. I'm making it go client mode on a WPA prot router (works fine I think with both AES and TKIP), gets DHCP address correctly, works fine and can browse the interface from it until the next reboot.

Do you think it is a hardware problem or is this some sort of bug where it won't save the configuration correctly and reset itself back to defaults?

I have even downloaded the configuration image, but when I try to restore it it always comes back with defaults (the first page I see is the one that wants you to change the default user and password).

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Simon
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes it has happened to me, hence use a FULL initialization of the flash area. It'll take about 5 minutes, and do it from RedBoot. Not sure why, but in the past a separate file kept configuration data, now it is stored "internally", but I suspect file read/write corruption... You may have "pulled" power during an operating system write, hence corruption. And future upgrades won't initialize/read the area properly.

try 30s reset and if that don't work, run "fis init -f"
on RedBoot. I have not been playing w/ my fonera for quite a while now... waiting for the final release I guess Wink
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 58, 59, 60  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 55 of 60
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: