WRT54G 1.1, WoL over Internet and Vista

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
mcnob
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 13:44    Post subject: WRT54G 1.1, WoL over Internet and Vista Reply with quote
Ok, I've pretty much reached the hair-tearing stage on this issue. I've set it up as per the Wiki with no luck, I've trawled the web for answers and tried numerous things in the process and although I can start my laptop from off over the local LAN (so I know WOL works), I still cannot get it to work over the Internet more than once after each tuning session. I've seen mention of a driver related to some software antivirus progs that might be an issue but other than that I know nothing about it.

I'll admit I'm generally quite virginal when it comes to router setup but I'm fairly sure I've tried everything. Is there a step-by-step WoL for noobs anywhere?

All input welcome......
Sponsor
Kingdomcome
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 14:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
It does sound like something strange is going on in that machine. If you have success from inside your LAN, a work around could be to enable remote management in dd-wrt and use the built in WoL.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 16:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
See, you're getting all technical already.... Laughing

I can give a bit more info now cos I'm not on the iPhone anymore.

I've got the MAC address right and within the router, I've forwarded port 7 (iWol on the iPhone uses it) initially to the private address of the laptop to be started but I also tried the broadcast IP as well (192.168.1.254) with no real change.

I just want to clarify really that all I really need to do is the following, if someone would be kind enough to confirm:

1. Tick all 3 boxes under power management tab of network card properties (Allow computer to turn off device to save power, allow device to wake computer, only allow management stations to wake computer)

2. Ensure WakeonLAN or similar option is enabled under the advanced tab of network card properties.

3. Enable WoL in DD-WRT console and ensure MAC, IP of local machine and port are correct.

4. Create port forwarding rule to relevant port as well as IP for computer you want started (even though it doesn't really make a difference.

5. There is a command line in the DD-WRT wiki that may or may not help but as I dunno what it does, can anyone clarify ?

OK, that's all I can think of so far so if anyone can add to that, I'd love to hear from you.

Does anyone know what this issue is that may relate to PASSTHRU drivers ?

Thanks.
mcnob
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 21:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry to bump but it's driving me potty now... Confused
soulstace
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
The commands in the wiki are important. Without them, the router does not know the IP/MAC of the machine you are trying to wake up. WOL functions differently over the internet than it does on a LAN. Over the LAN, the router just sends broadcasts and the computer with the MAC address will wake up. But on the internet, you cannot send broadcasts. Broadcasts will be stopped at the first router they hit.
mcnob
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 22:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
But what if you're instructing the router to send the broadcast address out. The way I understand it, it doesn't matter what IP address you put in cos a shutdown computer doesn't have an IP address in it's "off" state anyway. So....instructing the router to forward the broadcast IP (is that the one ending 254 or 255 anyway?) just sends it out to everything to make sure it hits the target you're after doesn't it ?

This is what my web research has led me to believe so far anyway. I really need to learn more about all this, especially commands. Confused
soulstace
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
mcnob wrote:
The way I understand it, it doesn't matter what IP address you put in cos a shutdown computer doesn't have an IP address in it's "off" state anyway.

That's true. But the shutdown PC does still have a MAC address. And by telling the router which MAC belongs to that IP, you can port forward to the computer's IP and it will work.

mcnob wrote:
So....instructing the router to forward the broadcast IP (is that the one ending 254 or 255 anyway?) just sends it out to everything to make sure it hits the target you're after doesn't it ?

255. That would be fine if dd-wrt actually supported it. But last I checked, adding broadcast IP to the port forwarding table didn't work. Not unless you change subnet mask to 255.255.255.128 then I think you can fool it.
mcnob
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 22:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sussed it:

This bit of the Wiki tripped me up and I put these commands in one line at a time (one by one !?!?!) originally so I decided to copy and paste them in as they are and change the MAC addresses only and hey presto, I then had 2 lines in the startup command field instead of the one:

Quote:
* Add a static ARP entry by typing these commands one by one, on the Web Interface (Administration -> Commands) and save with Save Startup:

ip neigh change 192.168.1.254 lladdr ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff nud permanent dev br0
ip neigh add 192.168.1.254 lladdr ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff nud permanent dev br0

(substitute ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff with the actual MAC address of the computer which you wish to boot remotely
likewise, replace 192.168.1.254 with the actual IP address of that computer)

I'm such a noob..... Laughing

Thanks muchly for your help though... Wink
soulstace
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 22:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
You're welcome. Smile I will change the wording in the wiki article now. Hopefully I can make it a little less confusing.
paradogz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:07    Post subject: Hello Reply with quote
Hello,

Sorry to dig this old thread but I have a question about Wake On Wan.

I can get my pc to start from LAN. no problem, when it comes to internet, it's another piece of cake.

I have a Sky router, i can't mess around with it, but I have a WAG54G that i can tourment as long as I want.

I understood the arp being flushed that's why I want to know how to do that :
Quote:

* Add a static ARP entry by typing these commands one by one, on the Web Interface (Administration -> Commands) and save with Save Startup:

ip neigh change 192.168.1.254 lladdr ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff nud permanent dev br0
ip neigh add 192.168.1.254 lladdr ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff nud permanent dev br0

Can you do that from remote control on WAG54G ?

Thanks a lot
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: