dd-wrt with AT&T U-Verse 2Wire gateway: I'm lost.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
bradwn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 21:17    Post subject: dd-wrt with AT&T U-Verse 2Wire gateway: I'm lost. Reply with quote
Can someone post a walkthrough on how to set up a dd-wrt router with an AT&T U-verse 2Wire RG?

I have an ASUS WL-520GU successfully flashed with v24-sp2. I am trying to connect this to my U-Verse RG so I can use the print server, and all the features of dd-wrt.

When I initially connected the router, the 2Wire RG detected it and asked me if I wanted to put it in DMZ. I thought that this had happened successfully, but I can't access the internet through the dd-wrt router, and the dd-wrt status page shows the router's ip address as my RG's internet ip. Is that right? Do I need to set up a static ip?

I would be very grateful if someone could walk me through this.
Sponsor
bradwn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 22:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anyone with U-Verse here?
capncook
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
from memory:

1) connect a machine to the dd-wrt router and set it to have an address of 192.168.2.1 (setup page, router ip, local ip address)

you have to do that because if it is 192.168.1.X the 2wire uverse unit will not play nice

apply settings, unit will restart

2) plug the WAN port from the dd-wrt to one of the LAN ports on the 2wire unit

3) go to 192.168.2.1 (dd-wrt) and see what address the 2wire unit gave it (192.168.1.X)

4) go to 192.168.1.254 (2wire) and go to the 'home network' page. look for the address from step 3 in the list and change firewall settings. put it in the DMZplus and save the settings.

the first time i did this with linksys firmware wrt54gl, it worked immediately. the second time with dd-wrt installed, when i opened a browser on a client, the 2wire asked me if i wanted to put the unit in the dmzplus, even tho i already had. there was a button "disable" on that page that seemed to confirm the dmzplus setting and immediately everything worked.
freonchill
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
i dont have u-verse, but i am wondering if its similar to the att dsl modems?

where you can put them in bridge mode and allow the router to do the pppoe and then handle everything without having to change anything major

1x WRT54G2 v1
2x BUFFALO WHR-G54S
2x BUFFALO WHR-G300N v2
1x BUFFLOW WHR-HP-G300N
1x La Fonera
FON Client Bridge tutorial
arnoldj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 14:12    Post subject: dd-wrt with AT&T U-Verse 2Wire gateway Reply with quote
What I have found to work is this.

1. While connected to the 2wire Residential Gateway go into the network settings and select a network other than the one you want to use on your DD-WRT.
2. After your 2 wire has done a warm restart and is now serving the new IPs you might want to disable the 2wire wireless functions.
3. Plug the WAN port of the DD-WRT box into the 2wire while your computer is still connected to the 2wire.
4. When an the DD-WRT shows up in the active system list in the 2wire go into the firewall setting and set the DD-WRT to be in the DMZ of the 2wire.

Now your DD-WRT will have the U-Verse IP and recieve all ports.

I found this working well with my home network and my TVs I have 3 receivers in my home and I connected them directly to the 2wire gateway and rebooted each to allow them to pickup the new IP of the 2wire. I have also found with this setup you can still use the gateway.2wire.net url to access the 2wire box.
mobrien118
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:09    Post subject: do I HAVE to DMZ? Reply with quote
I'm getting U-Verse in 2 days, and this has been a concern of mine for a WHILE (Since I had to schedule my install date 3 weeks from when I called).

It seems that DMZ will make MOST things work, but can anyone confirm that Dynamic DNS (No-IP in my case) still works? It seems like it could send the local IP to the Dynamic DNS service, depending on how it resolves the DNS address. Can anyone confirm this?

Second Q: Can I use a different modem with U-Verse. From what I have read, it seems like this is definitely NOT possible (I guess the "RG" does a bunch of other stuff, other than just act as an modem), but just wanted to ask.

Thanks,

--mobrien118

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 13:42    Post subject: Re: do I HAVE to DMZ? Reply with quote
mobrien118 wrote:
It seems that DMZ will make MOST things work, but can anyone confirm that Dynamic DNS (No-IP in my case) still works? It seems like it could send the local IP to the Dynamic DNS service, depending on how it resolves the DNS address. Can anyone confirm this?

the DMZ as described from 2wire passes the IP of the modem to the device in the DMZ as well as all ports not already defined in the firewall rules.

mobrien118 wrote:
Second Q: Can I use a different modem with U-Verse. From what I have read, it seems like this is definitely NOT possible (I guess the "RG" does a bunch of other stuff, other than just act as an modem), but just wanted to ask.

You are correct that you must use the modem that U-Verse provides it has more functionality then most modems, such as TV.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: