WOL enabled laptop turns itself on occasionally.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
mcnob
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 13:50    Post subject: WOL enabled laptop turns itself on occasionally. Reply with quote
I had some probs setting up WOL on a WRT54G in the first place but that was sorted with some assistance from the users here.

Hopefully, you can be just as helpful with the new, resulting issue. It's not a huge deal but annoying all the same. So the laptop turns itself on occasionally (not often) and I was wondering if it's possible to make the WOL functionality on the router a bit more picky about who it accepts wake requests from ?!?!?!?!?

Appreciate any tips
Sponsor
sharo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
What do you mean with "it's possible to make the WOL functionality on the router a bit more picky about who it accepts wake ". As far as i know WOL does not work over wireless, because the client is disconnected.
slimey
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 0:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
many newer laptop's have WOL capability for wlan and lan
sharo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
I agree, but the client has to be associated - this means that in router's status page the client has to be in the wifi clients list.
mcnob
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
I dunno where the wireless bit came from. The issue is with a laptop that is permanently wired to the router and turns itself on occasionally when it feels like it. I understand since that it may just be the laptop refreshing it's network state. Is it normal to do this daily though?
sharo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry, i misunderstood you. Check WOL daemon - it should be disabled. But this concerns you only if the laptop turns itself on at fixed time during the day. Maybe you should check the power settings in bios. Does it wake from off state or from standby?
mcnob
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 17:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's always powered right off when it does it. I never really put it into standby.
sharo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 20:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Maybe it's dhcp renewal?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: