DD-WRT Router Database

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Markus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
orange wrote:

What about introducing links to the latest devel versions along with the stable download links? I mean besides linking v24-sp1 for the fonera, it would be great to have a link to the latest v24-presp2 build as well - maybe as stable and unstable.

What do you think about it?

Just give me a while. I am currently finish all the entrys for sp1. The next step will be our beta releases of sp2.

For example look for the Cambria GW2358-4. There you already can swith between stable and beta.
Sponsor
Markus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:59    Post subject: Re: WNR834b Reply with quote
kkilps wrote:
The new catalog has a generic build as the proper build for Netgear WNR834bv2, but you need to have the NEWD builds from EKO in order to work. The generic build can brick you router.

May i ask where do you get the argument that our normal builds can brick this device?
orange
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 14:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Just give me a while. I am currently finish all the entrys for sp1. The next step will be our beta releases of sp2.

Awesome news! Just take your time cooking. Looking forward to it.

_B_
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 23:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
hey you guys here.

first of all thank you so much for all your work and efforts! i'm a long time ddwrt user and still am so happy about it. thanks a lot!

the step from the ever growing list of supported devices towards the database approach has good and less good effects.

everyone here i guess knows the feeling looking for THE device of choice and not finding it. browsing on 20 tabs opened at the same time, chasing the best price and availability at your favorite dealers website. X is available for a good price, but it lacks the usb slot. Z is not available but has the most ram and the best cpu speed. not supported by ddwrt? oh wtf...

so you will end up scrolling up and down the devicelist all the time.

what i really like about the databases input field is the ajax way of being. so you can dig around in the db very quickly and intuitively. since that is currently only beta status, it think you're on the right way. i didnt check if there is any documentaion about the usage of the prompt, but maybe some simple to extended examples at the right hand side would be nice to see the power of the prompt at first sight. (support of logical operators would then be pretty nice to build your own query eg "linksys && !(netgear)".)

what you could maybe add in little time, is the amount of data displayed in the listing of devices. some more coloumns for ethernet ports, usb, ram, cpu, ... would be great for a quick rating. and this is my major proposal for the further development.

sorry if this has been mentioned before. it's got late this evening...

so once again: thanks for the great work!

regards from frankfurt (germany)

sebastian
myrrhlin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:20    Post subject: WHR-G125 conflicting information Reply with quote
First: thank you so much for open-source firmware. I love its functionality and openness. I have used many varieties: dd-wrt, tomato, thibor, openwrt... and I _love_ all you guys.

You asked for feedback. Despite the barrier of registration, I did it, so I hope this is useful to you.

Someone said the WHR-G125 data was great. Well I've just acquired (another) one of these and went hunting for a firmware.

(1) the router database gives me a file "dd-wrt.v24_std_generic" which, i'm told above, is v24sp1 build 10549, 3,780,608 bytes in size. there is NO date information to know when it was built.

(2) then i go here:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/What_is_DD-WRT%3F#Which_V24_build_do_I_flash_onto_my_Broadcom_router
and i'm told to get a "normal" build, with normal linking to:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/down.php?path=downloads%2Fv24%2FBroadcom/
and I dig down to find a file with exactly the same name as the one in the router database, linked here:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/v24/Broadcom/Buffalo/WHR-G125/dd-wrt.v24_std_generic.bin
this one is dated may 24, 08, size 3,776,512 bytes. Seems to old to me. Probably not sp1 I think, and keep looking.

(3) Wandering a bit I find a directory that sounds better:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/down.php?path=downloads%2Fv24-sp1%2FConsumer%2FBuffalo%2FWHR-G125/
containing, again, "dd-wrt.v24_std_generic", dated oct 3, 08, size 3,760,128 bytes. Seems promising!

(4) then i find another directory which seems like a possibility (not sure how I would know):
http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/stable/dd-wrt.v24 SP1/Consumer/Buffalo/WHR-G125
and contains yet another file of the same name, linked here:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/stable/dd-wrt.v24%20SP1/Consumer/Buffalo/WHR-G125/dd-wrt.v24_std_generic.bin
but being dated july 27, 08, it's perhaps not the "sp1" i was looking for? size 3,760,128 bytes.

Meanwhile the Supported Devices page
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices#Buffalo
says version v24 2007-0516 was the (first?) version supporting this device, and links here
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Installation#WHR-G125_Specifics
which, despite telling me that I can use the v24 "final" builds, still proceeds to tell me about RC5, RC6, and RC7 builds which are -all- obsolete. Anyway, it tells me "Now that V24 Final is out, you can load the std_generic.bin file from the Buffalo WHR-G125 directory." I found quite a few of those! A link or more detailed description would be nice there too.

So, I might have guessed that #3 was the same as #1, since they both seem to be "sp1" in a more mature state. But #1 is called "build 10549", while I have no build number for #3. Meanwhile #3 is dated Oct 3, 08, while I have no date for #1. Well the proof is in the md5:
Code:
 1093c7b6b0823ccbf353c28c5ff2bda2 dd-wrt.v24_std_generic_1.bin
 e2291157869fd902ed106f8623ac71ef dd-wrt.v24_std_generic_2.bin
 390d4bf73540442c748434722b579335 dd-wrt.v24_std_generic_3.bin
 390d4bf73540442c748434722b579335 dd-wrt.v24_std_generic_4.bin

Surprise! #3 and #4 are the same (with different dates), and #1 (the router database file) doesn't match any of them. So where does it come from? One of the other directories (/others/eko?)? What's its mod date? What are the build numbers of the other files I found?

I don't know what to use...

Conclusion: build number is great for comparing, but i cant find it elsewhere to know if the other files are more/less recent. Mod dates would also be useful, but seem susceptible to change by copying (witness #3 and #4). Even a "build date" could be misleading. I couldn't find the file the router-database gave me elsewhere. So how do I know if that file is really the "correct" or currently best one?

Anyway, there's some feedback. Now i'm just gonna go flash the thing.

PS while i'm at it, i notice some places say to use the "mini" version for flash of 4mb, while several places specifically told me for the WHR-G125 to use the "normal/std" version. Perhaps some vendor/models require the mini even on 4mb flash hardware, while others don't? Anyway, the std versions for the WHR-G125 are pretty well under 4mb, so that's what i'm going with.

Happy bricking! Smile
mcmadpete
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
_B_ wrote:
i didnt check if there is any documentaion about the usage of the prompt, but maybe some simple to extended examples at the right hand side would be nice to see the power of the prompt at first sight. (support of logical operators would then be pretty nice to build your own query eg "linksys && !(netgear)".)

what you could maybe add in little time, is the amount of data displayed in the listing of devices. some more coloumns for ethernet ports, usb, ram, cpu, ... would be great for a quick rating. and this is my major proposal for the further development.

Hello Sebastian,

the idea of searching by hardware features to find a suitable hardware that runs dd-wrt was in our mind when we started building the DB. But we were not sure for what purpose people are using the supported device list - is it just checking if there routers are supported and how to install dd-wrt or someting else.

First goal of the router-db was giving the users a tool that allows them to quickly look up if their routers are supported and what files are required to install dd-wrt. At the current stage we are working on making not only the SP1 files available but the current Beta-versions, too.

When this is done we will extend the internal DB-structure to add more and consistent informations about the hardware. So the idea is that somebody can search for hardware capabilities (as you pointed out), for instance 'WLAN: N and Switch: Gigabit'. But for this another query input style will be available so that everybody can easily use it.

But anyway - thanks for the post, so we know that there is a demand for this hardware search and we will add it soon.

Greetings from Bensheim (Germany)
mcmadpete
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:41    Post subject: Re: WHR-G125 conflicting information Reply with quote
myrrhlin wrote:
...while i'm at it, i notice some places say to use the "mini" version for flash of 4mb, while several places specifically told me for the WHR-G125 to use the "normal/std" version. Perhaps some vendor/models require the mini even on 4mb flash hardware, while others don't? Anyway, the std versions for the WHR-G125 are pretty well under 4mb, so that's what i'm going with.

Ok, what you are describing is exactly one of the reasons why we are building the router-db. This "...somebody saying..." and "...another link pointing at..." is what's so confusing for the users - and believe me, it's a lot of work for us now to check all these informations, remarks etc. to give the DD-WRT users a reliable data base.

Mentioning the files date is a good point (but it will be the build date) - we'll add it to the file list.
SpitFire
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:46    Post subject: the RB532 Reply with quote
Mikrotik Rb532 is supported by the dd-wrt and can be found from the old list, in the new search it is not.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:27    Post subject: Re: the RB532 Reply with quote
SpitFire wrote:
Mikrotik Rb532 is supported by the dd-wrt and can be found from the old list, in the new search it is not.

There once was a build in the old v23 tree, but the current v24 does not support mikotik hardware anymore.
bassettg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:18    Post subject: Database Search Alternatives Reply with quote
I would like to support what _B_ said about alternate ways to search the database.

I am also trying to buy hardware and would like to search the database for devices that, for example, have at least 4MB of flash. Or perhaps support the "mega" build.

The methods used by eBay, Best Buy, Digitec (CH), and others for searches with lots of criteria seem to work reasonably well.

Thanks in any case for the work to date. I was astonished that I was able to take a dumb Linksys AP (WAP-54G) and turn it into an amazing device, even with the tiny build. But now I want more, much more... Can you say IPV6? Very Happy

Greetings from Basel, Switzerland
stupots
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:32    Post subject: Re: WNR834b Reply with quote
Markus,

Markus wrote:
May i ask where do you get the argument that our normal builds can brick this device?

I've just posted on this thread what has worked for me on v2 hardware:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=258872#258872

The wnr834bBv2_2_1_13_2_1_13_ww.chk that I downloaded via the beta DB on 3rd Feb 16:52 GMT bricked my router (not sure what time you updated the file on the DB?!?)

Regards,
Stuart
nitram01
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 14:33    Post subject: Supported Hardware database Reply with quote
Hi,

Like the Supported Hardware database lookup.

I searched database for a wrtu54g-tm received an answer of 0 routers found. I beleive this router could handle DD-WRT because there are forum post about it.

That being said the database has been valueable in helping identify supported router QUICKLY.
knightmb
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 21:23    Post subject: WRT54G v8 Download Link Incorrect Reply with quote
Great so far, some feedback on a bug I found.

WRT54G v8 Routers

The download link gives you v24 SP2, which I didn't notice until after I loaded it. v24 SP2 for the v8 has a bug where after loading, the DHCP server does not work for LAN/WLAN. If you assign your computer a static IP, you can get back in, didn't get much further after that because I knew I had the wrong release. Loaded v24 SP1, from the "Downloads" area and everything worked fine.

Cool
mcmadpete
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 17:21    Post subject: Re: WRT54G v8 Download Link Incorrect Reply with quote
knightmb wrote:

WRT54G v8 Routers

The download link gives you v24 SP2, which I didn't notice until after I loaded it. v24 SP2 for the v8 has a bug where after loading, the DHCP server does not work for LAN/WLAN. If you assign your computer a static IP, you can get back in, didn't get much further after that because I knew I had the wrong release. Loaded v24 SP1, from the "Downloads" area and everything worked fine.

Cool

We did change something so that the latest stable version is selected by default. Only when you change the version manually you can access the Beta-Version(s). Can you confirm this?
knightmb
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 17:26    Post subject: Re: WRT54G v8 Download Link Incorrect Reply with quote
mcmadpete wrote:
knightmb wrote:

WRT54G v8 Routers

Cool

We did change something so that the latest stable version is selected by default. Only when you change the version manually you can access the Beta-Version(s). Can you confirm this?

I just checked, they seem switched. If v24 sp1 is selected, you get the beta. If the beta is selected, you get the v24 sp1 release. Question
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: