QOS-HTB vs. HFSC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
RonV
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 19:20    Post subject: QOS-HTB vs. HFSC Reply with quote
I have been trying to make a decision on which packet scheduler would be the best choice with V.23 SP2. I have been running HTB under SP1 and I only have a few rules dealing with VOIP and Bittorrent.

I have switched between the two to try to compare how fast the bandwidth queues are adjusted and the network performance.

I did find with HFSC I get a big more throughput but VOIP seems to take longer to be given the bandwidth.

Under HTB the throughput is throttled back a bit more but VOIP seems to get the bandwidth it needs quickly.

What packet scheduler is everyone else using and what were the reasons for choosing it?

Thanks

Sponsor
malves
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 0:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Speaking only for myself I use HTB. It feels more reliable and stable. I ran HFSC for a period and found my QOS very slow to respond at times as well and it also caused my DNS to stop responding a few times for some unknown reason. When I went back to HTB it stopped the problem. Here are the definitions and descriptions for both:

* HFSC - Hierarchical Fair Service Curve. Queues attached to an interface build a tree, thus each queue can have further child queues. Each queue can have a priority and a bandwidth assigned. Priority mainly controls the time packets take to get sent out, while bandwidth has primarily effects on throughput.

* HTB - Hierarchical Token Bucket, it is a faster replacement for the CBQ qdisc in Linux. HTB helps in controlling the use of the outbound bandwidth on a given link. HTB allows you to use one physical link to simulate several slower links and to send different kinds of traffic on different simulated links. In both cases, you have to specify how to divide the physical link into simulated links and how to decide which simulated link to use for a given packet to be sent. In other words, HTB is useful for limiting a client's download/upload rates, thereby preventing his monopolization of the available bandwidth.

RonV
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 0:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have been using HTB since V23 SP1 and its been stable and pretty quick to respoond. But one thing I did notice is that the bandwidth never matches the total outbound that I have set for it. I know its only a few percentage points.

On HFSC it does take the bandwidth all the way to the uplink limit but again when a VOIP call starts it can take some time for applications like bittorrant and file transfers to back down.

I am also trying to take an account that I do VPN into the home router to shell into my PBX and terminal into some of my workstations. HFSC seems to have some problems allocating bandwidth for this purpose.

At this time I think I will stay with HTB.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: