Does disabling SSID broadcast work?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 15:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Donny wrote:
Might have some news on this, but haven't read the whole thread.

I read this, and then tested my 11650 version...turned ssid off and then went to check and found it was still appearing in my osx machine. So, I thought turning ssid off is not working.

Anyway, I left it for a day and went to try my ipod. It said that there was no network available (was previously configured to connect to my network). At first I thought the darn Ipod was broken, because I still had a connection with my laptop. I tried resetting the ipod, etc. Then I remembered that I had turned ssid broadcast off, so I turned it back on and poof...it found the network.

I know that Apple had a problem connecting to non broadcasting networks. But turning off ssid is definitely doing something.

Well...the laptop will find the SSID (even if it is disabled) unless you delete the adapter profile for that SSID. If you delete it...then it shouldn't find it...at least that is how its supposed to work.

Maybe there is a delay regarding the SSID broadcast disable. I don't know how often the nas process gets restarted (I think thats the process that controls it)..someone correct me if I am wrong ...(and I know you will)

I'll try disabling one of my Repeater SSID's and leave it for awhile....I'll report back.

testing 11667.

redhawk

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 16:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK...its been over an hour...it is still broadcasting the SSID of the virtual.

If I apply the work-around...the change takes place immediately.

redhawk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 16:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
(I think thats the process that controls it)..someone correct me if I am wrong ...(and I know you will)

We would IF we could....it's just so darn hard! Laughing

I was running OSX on my computer and what I did to check if the ssid was broadcasting was just refreshed the broadcasting networks and found that it was there. I didn't try to connect to it again...I know it would do that automatically, (but I also didn't try again to see if I could still find the network on my computer if I refreshed, when I noticed this this morning.)

I too wondered if it took some time to stop broadcasting for some reason.

This certainly doesn't fix the problem, but it might offer insight that hopefully will help to result in a solution.

Peacock Thread Sticky- Just read it! (Anyone using SP1 will be taken out back and shot)
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
JN
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any more news on a real fix for this?
soulstace
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
nope. redhawk's trac ticket didn't even get a response. Confused
nstnthi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 0:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just keeping this thread alive to see if there has been any new progress.
LarryBell
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 16:52    Post subject: My problems match Barryware's Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
Maybe I am not understanding correctly. You guys are talking about a virtual and I was talking about the physical. I just paid a quick visit at lunch time to my V5.

In wireless settings, the basic setup page, there is an option to enable or disable ssid broadcast.

I disabled it, save, apply settings. The router rebooted but it did not affect the "uptime".

Fired up my wireless laptop and the network was not listed in available wireless networks. I could connect to it by specifying the ssid.

Shut down the laptop, changed the router to enable the ssid broadcast, save, apply, the router rebooted again.

Fired the laptop back up, looked at available wireless networks and it was again seen.

Then I disabled it again, disconnected the laptop from it, looked at available wireless networks, and it was gone.

======================

I'm sorry I didn't find this thread earlier. Except for his problem of "uptime" not changing upon reboot, and my not knowing how he is connecting to a wireless network not listed in the available network list by specifying the SSID, Barryware's problems EXACTLY state my problems with Eko's svn 11793 and Brain Slayers 11898 versions on a WRT600n version 1.0 with NEWD Mega versions, in AP bridged mode.
On Eko's svn 10404 (or so) I could connect to my physical (or any number of my virtual) interfaces when the SSID WAS or WAS NOT being broadcast (of course presuming I had defined them on my laptop). While I never actually tested it, I presume that when I had any of the interfaces set to SSID disabled, the SSID was in fact not broadcasting for that interface. With SSID set for disable, those interfaces still showed as available on my list of preferred networks that I had defined.

HOWEVER, after upgrading to Eko svn11793 (same with BS 11898), I can only 'see' the interface in my list of availalbe networks while the interface SSID broadcast is set to enable. As soon as I change the SSID to 'disable' on any of the interfaces, either physical or virtual, then 'save' then 'apply', it IMMEDIATELY disappears from my list of available networks and I can no longer connect to it. I have them all defined to connect even if the SSID is NOT being broadcast.

IF I re-enable the SSID broadcast, I can again 'see' and connect to the interface I just enabled (after the 'save' and 'apply' of course). I can do this to any of my interfaces independantly (physical or virtual). It is like if you 'disable' the SSID broadcast for an interface, the firmware is effectivly removing the interface, or turning off the 'radio' for that interface.

So either the SSID broadcast issue still isn't resolved (related to ticket #922), or this is a new issue in my opinion. Since I had not seen this tread before last night, I presumed it was a new issue introduced in svn 11793 that no one had noticed or complained about.

Sorry for the long post.
hpsenicka
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 17:52    Post subject: Re: My problems match Barryware's Reply with quote
LarryBell wrote:

I'm sorry I didn't find this thread earlier. Except for his problem of "uptime" not changing upon reboot, and my not knowing how he is connecting to a wireless network not listed in the available network list by specifying the SSID, Barryware's problems EXACTLY state my problems with Eko's svn 11793 and Brain Slayers 11898 versions on a WRT600n version 1.0 with NEWD Mega versions, in AP bridged mode.
On Eko's svn 10404 (or so) I could connect to my physical (or any number of my virtual) interfaces when the SSID WAS or WAS NOT being broadcast (of course presuming I had defined them on my laptop). While I never actually tested it, I presume that when I had any of the interfaces set to SSID disabled, the SSID was in fact not broadcasting for that interface. With SSID set for disable, those interfaces still showed as available on my list of preferred networks that I had defined.

HOWEVER, after upgrading to Eko svn11793 (same with BS 11898), I can only 'see' the interface in my list of availalbe networks while the interface SSID broadcast is set to enable. As soon as I change the SSID to 'disable' on any of the interfaces, either physical or virtual, then 'save' then 'apply', it IMMEDIATELY disappears from my list of available networks and I can no longer connect to it. I have them all defined to connect even if the SSID is NOT being broadcast.

IF I re-enable the SSID broadcast, I can again 'see' and connect to the interface I just enabled (after the 'save' and 'apply' of course). I can do this to any of my interfaces independantly (physical or virtual). It is like if you 'disable' the SSID broadcast for an interface, the firmware is effectivly removing the interface, or turning off the 'radio' for that interface.

So either the SSID broadcast issue still isn't resolved (related to ticket #922), or this is a new issue in my opinion. Since I had not seen this tread before last night, I presumed it was a new issue introduced in svn 11793 that no one had noticed or complained about.

Sorry for the long post.

I suspect your problem may be unique, and not an inherent flaw in the firmware. I have several Linksys devices (mostly WRT54GL) running svn11793, and all of them have SSID broadcast disabled.

Disabling SSID broadcast will make the interface effectively disappear for anyone scanning for available networks, but does not prevent the interface from being accessible.

It seems to me that your problem is a client config issue or a user error.

If you have previously defined a connection profile for your SSID, it will work whether the SSID is broadcating or not.

WRT54G v6, v8
WRT54GS v5
WRH54G
Macgyver
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 23:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have had SSID disabled ALWAYS and it is indeed disabled on both interfaces of WRT600N.
If you have your connection set up so it will connect even if the network is not broadcasting, it will appear that your SSID is broadcasting, but really it is not. Easy way to test this is by having SSID disabled, then delete the profile that you have for that particular SSID, THEN try to connect to it...it won't be there 100%.
If you are really concerned with SSID disabled, keep in mind that for your wireless adapter to connect to that disabled SSID, that the adapter asks for that particular SSID...kinda like a HELLO??? and then the router whispers..psssst I am here but don't tell anyone
I know it has always worked at least with every build I have tried, because when I add new wireless devices, I enable the SSID because it is not showing (for PS3 or Wii, wireless printer, laptops, etc...)

Hardware that works for me:
RT-N66U MerlinWRT 3.0.0.4.374.33_beta3b
E3000 WDS Kong v21661
soulstace
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 23:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
The WRT600N has two radios, does it not?

I think most people were talking about one radio broadcasting two or more SSIDs, so that is a different story.
hpsenicka
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 23:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
My WRT54GLs are configured with 2 SSID's.... both are non-broadcasting.
WRT54G v6, v8
WRT54GS v5
WRH54G
soulstace
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
So it works or doesn't it? Why is this thread 7 pages long if there is no problem?
hpsenicka
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
soulstace wrote:
So it works or doesn't it? Why is this thread 7 pages long if there is no problem?

Good question!

Well, the first 6 pages of this thread are more than a month old, discussing possible issues with older builds that are now considered obsolete.

I'm not experiencing any of these issues with svn11793.

WRT54G v6, v8
WRT54GS v5
WRH54G
LarryBell
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
It seems I am not making myself clear here. Maybe my American explanation doesn’t translate well. Very Happy . And please remember that just because it says DD-WRT Novice under my name, that is only an indication of the number of times I have posted here, and not my level of knowledge.

Please return to page 5 of this thread to re-read Barryware’s post on Feb 20 that says when the SSID broadcast is disabled on his physical interface (wl0), that interface disappears from his list of available wireless networks on his laptop. Re-enabling the SSID Broadcast again makes the interface reappear in the list of available networks.

I stated that Barryware’s problem is the same problem I am having since upgrading from svn 10404 to svn 11793 and later.

Hpsenicka, you told me: “I suspect your problem may be unique, and not an inherent flaw in the firmware. I have several Linksys devices (mostly WRT54GL) running svn11793, and all of them have SSID broadcast disabled.” But on page 5 you replied to Barryware’s original post “Barryware... your experience with physical SSID's mirrors mine exactly... with every build I have tried. As for virtual SSID's .. I haven't a clue... never tried one.”

I don’t understand why you would think MY problem is unique, or it was configuration or user error when YOU had the same issue? The ONLY changes I made from the time that the whole enable/disable SSID broadcast worked or not was when I upgraded the ROUTER FIRMWARE from 10404 to 11793 and later. I wrote down router configurations before upgrading on purpose so I could make sure I got the router reconfigured as it was before. And I didn’t make ANY change to the settings on the laptop connection settings.

Macgyver: Thanks for your explanation, but I am aware that even with SSID broadcast disabled, the router and network adapter can hold a “private conversation” due to using the same SSID, encryption method (WPA2) and encryption key. I have been disabling the SSID broadcast for years, even with the encryption just to keep the casual neighbor, or drive by hacker from (hopefully) seeing that I have a wireless network to possibly break into. BTW, I also use MAC filtering to only allow MY equipment access to the network.

Soulstace: Yes, the WRT600n has TWO radios. Physical interfaces wl0 and wl1 use different radios. I do not use wl1 as I do not (yet) have an A or N wireless adapter. For what ever reason, I do have 3 virtual interfaces set up on wl0 though. But the same problem applies to the virtual interfaces as well as the physical one. I mention this problem here as it DOES seem to be the same problem others have experienced, though they were using the routers in Repeater mode and I do not. And the thread mentions ticket 922 that doesn’t seem to have been acknowledged or resolved.

Maybe almost everyone has SSID broadcast enabled and thus doesn’t notice a problem. But I know it worked correctly in 10404, and now it doesn’t. And everyone should remember that some problems that show up in one model or brand of router do not necessarily show up in another. I believe the USB and security LED issue comes to mind? Also some problems show up in one version of a build, but not others. Because I have a problem with a WRT600n and others don’t have the problem on their WRT54Gs doesn’t mean I screwed up. Or if the mini version of 11793 works fine and the NEWD Mega build does not, still doesn’t mean I screwed up.

In the next couple of days, I think I will try to roll back to 10404 and even BS build from Feb 28 (11697?) to verify my complaint. I didn’t use 11697, but everyone seems to say it is a great build.

I’m just trying to indicate that I believe there is still an unaddressed problem with the SSID broadcast in the newest releases that has not been resolved.
hpsenicka
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 13:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
LarryBell wrote:

Please return to page 5 of this thread to re-read Barryware’s post on Feb 20 that says when the SSID broadcast is disabled on his physical interface (wl0), that interface disappears from his list of available wireless networks on his laptop. Re-enabling the SSID Broadcast again makes the interface reappear in the list of available networks.

I stated that Barryware’s problem is the same problem I am having since upgrading from svn 10404 to svn 11793 and later.

Hpsenicka, you told me: “I suspect your problem may be unique, and not an inherent flaw in the firmware. I have several Linksys devices (mostly WRT54GL) running svn11793, and all of them have SSID broadcast disabled.” But on page 5 you replied to Barryware’s original post “Barryware... your experience with physical SSID's mirrors mine exactly... with every build I have tried. As for virtual SSID's .. I haven't a clue... never tried one.”

I don’t understand why you would think MY problem is unique, or it was configuration or user error when YOU had the same issue? The ONLY changes I made from the time that the whole enable/disable SSID broadcast worked or not was when I upgraded the ROUTER FIRMWARE from 10404 to 11793 and later. I wrote down router configurations before upgrading on purpose so I could make sure I got the router reconfigured as it was before. And I didn’t make ANY change to the settings on the laptop connection settings.

The behaviour that Barryware and I experienced is not a problem at all... IMHO it is the intended behaviour of this feature.

When I disable SSID broadcast, I do not expect to be able to find it in a scan of available networks!

I don't understand why you are describing this as a problem. What am I missing?

And as for virtual SSID's, I began using those in March, and have had no issues.

Edit: note that I am discussing AP mode only. Apparently there is still an open TRAC ticket about an issue with Repeater and Repeater Bridge modes.

WRT54G v6, v8
WRT54GS v5
WRH54G
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 7 of 9
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: