Asus WL-500W not responding

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 23:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
It sounds like your router is booting but you can just not find it. Your led's are acting normally.

There are several freeware utilities that my help you locate the device. Maybe there was a typo and your router really does not have the ip you think it has. Maybe .50 instead of .5

I'm not in front of my XP rig right now and I don't have the utilities installed on my vista rig. The names of the programs escape me right now.

Someone will chime in in regards to a utility to find you router.

Edit: DON'T set a static IP on your rig... Maybe the router will assign your rig an IP and you will have a hint as to its IP address.

Last edited by barryware on Wed Feb 25, 2009 23:43; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
pock
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 23:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
I followed the linux install wiki for dd-wrt. I did use the temporary asus DD-WRT firmware, and than I upgraded to the recommended image for this hardware. The temp firmware was dd-wrt.v24_mini_asus.trx

I dont know if this is progress or not.. but I start pinging and I unplug the device and plug it back in... then I get for just one line, and then it goes back to th

64 bytes from 192.168.1.5 imcp_seq=30 ttl=100 tiime=3.03 ms

As for IP settings

Notebook =
IP: 192.168.1.2
255.255.255.0 with the default gateway set to 192.168.1.1

The router, is either the changed IP 192.168.1.5 or its orignal 192.168.1.1
Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 23:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you have followed the process, and that is the only thing plugged in, then you have found your router and it doesn't have firmware on it. Follow the process at note 11 of the peacock thread to put the firmware on your router.

However, use the 192.168.1.5 address. Use the Newd_mini.bin in the svn11296 folder.

You might just try a hard reset (which you haven't ever done if the router is at 192.168.1.5) and then wait and power cycle it... see whether you get ping responses of ttl=64 then.

Your router IS at 192.168.1.5. Remove the gateway from your static setup on your laptop...leave it blank for now.

I'm going out for a run for a while. If Barryware is still stuck at work, you are in better hands than mine... I EXPECT TO HEAR THAT YOU HAVE A WORKING ROUTER BY THE TIME I GET BACK!

Peacock Thread Sticky- Just read it! (Anyone using SP1 will be taken out back and shot)
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
pock
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 23:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm going to keep typing away at it here.. but regardless of the outcome, the community support has been great and even if I have to buy another router tonight, I'm not finished with Dd-wrt! :D

Pock
Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 0:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
(I haven't left yet.) Your router is NOT bricked...you won't need another one.

If the hard reset/powercycle doesn't work, try to flash that mini build with thet Asus firmware upgrade utility. Not sure if you can get it in the downloads section here, or have to get it from the Asus site. It will require you to put the router in maintenance mode before flashing.

Peacock Thread Sticky- Just read it! (Anyone using SP1 will be taken out back and shot)
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
pock
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 0:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here is an output of the ping.. This might help with a mental picture.. The hardware errors are when it is unpluged.. when I plug it back in I briefly get the ttl=100 reply.

Pinging 192.168.1.5 with 32 bytes of data:
Destination host unreachable.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Hardware error.
Hardware error.
Hardware error.
Reply from 192.168.1.5: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=100
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

As for flashing, it doesn't respond to pings long enough to flash..? The software I used before was per the wiki, clear the nvram with wl500g-clear-nvram.trx then I did the recovery, wl500g-recover.trx then I loaded the temp firmware, the mini_asus.trx

after that, I loaded the dd-wrt.v24_mega_generic.bin from the mini asus firmware upgrade page.

I tried the 30/30/30 thing.. I held the restore down for 30 seconds, pluging, held for 30, pluged back in held for 30 and released..I have no button that says "reset" only restore and ezsetup so I'm assuming the restore = reset button.
pock
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 0:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
you suggested this one?
dd-wrt.v24-11296_NEWD_mini_asus.trx
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 0:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Somewhere in the peacock sticky is a tftp proceedure.

Here is the thing... Timing is everything. For that mili-bleem that your router accepts a ping, if you can get the tftp utility timed just right, you should be able to tftp the firmware back.

Seems like you have resolved "what's my IP" issue.

Use the tftp utility found on the forum in tornado's download section.

Get it ready so all you need to do is hit the enter key to launch.

Static IP on your rig = 192.168.1.20, sub 255.255.255.0, gateway = 192.168.1.5

In the utility:

host = 192.168.1.5
sub = 255.255.255.0
password = blank
retrys = 99

unplug the router (power)

hit the enter key to launch the utility.

As quickly as you can, plug in the router.

If all goes well, you will get a few errors, then with a bit of luck, the firmware should flash.

You may want to use a mini build.. It won't taks as long to flash but I guess it won't matter.

When you get a success message, leave the router alone for a few minutes. Then power cycle.

Let keep our fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 0:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
pock wrote:
you suggested this one?
dd-wrt.v24-11296_NEWD_mini_asus.trx

Donno if that is needed as dd-wrt was already on the router when it crashed.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 0:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, should I use my orginal mini build then? dd-wrt.v24_mini_asus.trx? It isn't my intention to flood with dumb questions, I just don't want to guess on software and end up destroying it Razz
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 0:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
pock wrote:
Ok, should I use my orginal mini build then? dd-wrt.v24_mini_asus.trx? It isn't my intention to flood with dumb questions, I just don't want to guess on software and end up destroying it Razz

Your router is in a funny condition (strange, not funny). I unbrick lots of routers. I have no hands on with your exact router so I don't want to give you bad advice.

Flashing the asus.trx can't hurt. However, those specific builds are for the first time flash. Once they are on the device, then any generic build can be flashed.

Not knowing the exact state of your router but knowing that dd-wrt was on and running, if it were me, I'd flash a generic mini build. However I am a bit of a risk taker.

I would suspect, you could go with the trx file first but you may get an invalid code error (or something like that). If that happens, then go with a generic build.

In the mean time, I will drink a sacrificial beer in your honer and wait to hear what happened.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 0:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
You might need more than 1 beer!

Im trying the flash thing, but it seems it doesn't stay stable long enough to do anything. Neutral
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 0:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
pock wrote:
You might need more than 1 beer!

Im trying the flash thing, but it seems it doesn't stay stable long enough to do anything. Neutral

Does it start to flash and then crap out?

Timing is everything... Launch the utility (not the command line), plug in the device and stand back.

Do you have a switch or a hub? I read a thread that you could try to put the switch or the hub in between the router and the rig. Reason being, that the rig won't have to negotiate with the lan port of the router and saves time (milliseconds). I never tried it, but it makes sense.

Another thing you could try is to set your NIC to 10mbs.

Don't be scared... I'll get another beer now (sacrificial of course).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think it starts but then loses connection with the router, cause the Erasing Flash thing comes up.. but then it just retries and retries, I will try the NIC at 10mpbs I do have a HP procurve 4000m I could put inbetween the laptop and the router. I'll try the NIC settings nad let you know how that goes..

I might need a beer

Pock
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
pock wrote:
I think it starts but then loses connection with the router, cause the Erasing Flash thing comes up.. but then it just retries and retries, I will try the NIC at 10mpbs I do have a HP procurve 4000m I could put inbetween the laptop and the router. I'll try the NIC settings nad let you know how that goes..

I might need a beer

Pock

I NEVER recommend pin shorting butt Razz This would be a last resort. First try the power on holding the reset button (not a 30/30/30 in this case), and see if the asus recovery mode comes up.

Read the thread and try everything except the pin short for now. I NEVER recommend a pin short. Some do.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=44375&highlight=

It seems you are not the only one. This device looks like it has been around a couple of years when looking at the dates of the threads & links.

Navigation

Jump to: