New ar430w, can't connect with wireless security

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
andrewddwrt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 23:42    Post subject: New ar430w, can't connect with wireless security Reply with quote
I have two ar430w routers. One has the original factory firmware and has worked reliably for months, using WPA2 encryption with my XP laptop.

New ar430w. Put DD-WRT on it.

Two downloads are available for it from the DD-WRT hardware database, as of now: "v24 SP1 [Stable] Build 10020" and "v24 preSP2 [Beta] Build 11522."

I tried the SP1/Stable build first. It did not work at all - the router would keep rebooting, and I could neither access it nor ping it, after repeated power cycles and two attempts to install it.

preSP2/Beta installs fine. I am able to connect to LAN with an ethernet cable and also via unencrypted wireless to administer it via the web, 192.168.1.1 . I'm using basically the default settings - as an access point.

But no wireless security mode will allow me to connect with my XP laptop. WEP, WPA personal, and WPA2 personal all fail. Since I have the latest drivers for my laptop's Intel wireless card and it works great with the other ar430w/factory firmware and WPA2, I know my laptop is not the issue.

Another note: my original ar430w using WPA2 shows as "WPA2" according to XP's wireless list, but the ar430w using DD-WRT set to WPA2 does not show as WPA2 or WPA according to XP. XP does not think it is using WPA at all.

Any hints on tweaking the wireless security with preSP2 to work? I am very new to DD-WRT, have read some of the tutorials and FAQs but did not see anything that addressed this problem. Thank you!
Sponsor
Tomasito
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, I had similar problems with my DIR-300 (Same router with other brand).

Try doing a 30/30/30 BEFORE and AFTER every firmware upgrade. It may be even requiere a second 30/30/30 reset after a firmware upgrade.

If you like, you can check my thread about my DIR-300 WPA2 issue: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=47895

PS: I am currently using this image (preSP2, 21 feb build): ftp://www.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/210209/dir300/dir300-firmware.bin, but you might want to check the very last release wich is from yesterday (28 feb) from here: ftp://www.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/280209/dir300/

Cya!
andrewddwrt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 22:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for your reply! I did try the February 28 build for DIR-300 and it had the same problem with WPA and WPA2.

I think I will try again in a couple of weeks when the release is more stable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: