USB based JTAG ??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
dellsweig
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 07 Jun 2006
Posts: 1476
Location: New York, USA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 15:07    Post subject: USB based JTAG ?? Reply with quote
Does anyone know of a USB based JTAG out there for sale??

new machine..... USB only......
Sponsor
freonchill
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 17 Jul 2006
Posts: 2056

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 15:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.usbjtag.com/
_________________
2x WRT54G v5, 2x WRT54G v2
1x WRT54G-TM
1x WRT54GL
2x BUFFALO WHR-G54S
1x La Fonera
FON Client Bridge tutorial
LOM
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 28 Dec 2008
Posts: 7047

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 15:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Amontech Switzerland, JTAG-KEY
barryware
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 26 Jan 2008
Posts: 12825
Location: Behind The Reset Button

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 15:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
They are becomming more popular and easier to find. Still a bit pricey though.



http://www.keil.com/ulink/

_________________
[Moderator Deleted] Shocked
freonchill
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 17 Jul 2006
Posts: 2056

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 15:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
we need to design a $1 jtag!
_________________
2x WRT54G v5, 2x WRT54G v2
1x WRT54G-TM
1x WRT54GL
2x BUFFALO WHR-G54S
1x La Fonera
FON Client Bridge tutorial
dellsweig
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 07 Jun 2006
Posts: 1476
Location: New York, USA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 15:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
They are becomming more popular and easier to find. Still a bit pricey though.



http://www.keil.com/ulink/


Does our tornado based jtag software work with these??

Also - found a couple that only have 6 pin headers - is that an issue

http://www.digilentinc.com/Products/Catalog.cfm?Nav1=Products&Nav2=Cables&Cat=Cable


Last edited by dellsweig on Wed Mar 25, 2009 17:15; edited 2 times in total
barryware
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 26 Jan 2008
Posts: 12825
Location: Behind The Reset Button

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 15:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
has anyone tried a usb to parallel adapter?

I have one around somewhere.. Probably the giveio.sys wont work with a converter.

_________________
[Moderator Deleted] Shocked
dellsweig
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 07 Jun 2006
Posts: 1476
Location: New York, USA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 17:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
dellsweig wrote:
barryware wrote:
They are becomming more popular and easier to find. Still a bit pricey though.



http://www.keil.com/ulink/


Does our tornado based jtag software work with these??

Also - found a couple that only have 6 pin headers - is that an issue

http://www.digilentinc.com/Products/Catalog.cfm?Nav1=Products&Nav2=Cables&Cat=Cable


Anyone??

I would order this today but need to make sure it will work with the current jtag based debrick code as well as work with the 2X6 header configuration in our routers

http://www.digilentinc.com/Products/Catalog.cfm?Nav1=Products&Nav2=Cables&Cat=Cable
barryware
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 26 Jan 2008
Posts: 12825
Location: Behind The Reset Button

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 17:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
dellsweig wrote:

Anyone??

I would order this today but need to make sure it will work with the current jtag based debrick code as well as work with the 2X6 header configuration in our routers

http://www.digilentinc.com/Products/Catalog.cfm?Nav1=Products&Nav2=Cables&Cat=Cable


I don't know of any of our members that have such a device.. Looks like you are the pioneer on this one Razz

_________________
[Moderator Deleted] Shocked
dellsweig
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 07 Jun 2006
Posts: 1476
Location: New York, USA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 17:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
dellsweig wrote:
dellsweig wrote:
barryware wrote:
They are becomming more popular and easier to find. Still a bit pricey though.



http://www.keil.com/ulink/


Does our tornado based jtag software work with these??

Also - found a couple that only have 6 pin headers - is that an issue

http://www.digilentinc.com/Products/Catalog.cfm?Nav1=Products&Nav2=Cables&Cat=Cable


Anyone??

I would order this today but need to make sure it will work with the current jtag based debrick code as well as work with the 2X6 header configuration in our routers

http://www.digilentinc.com/Products/Catalog.cfm?Nav1=Products&Nav2=Cables&Cat=Cable


Well - I found the answer to the header block question - the WRT54G models have a 2X6 header block but only one side is used so the single 6 pin connector on this device should work (providing pins are the same )

I emailed tornado to see if he knows if the software will have any issue with this device.

I am ordering one now



ScreenHunter_01 Mar. 25 13.27.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  25.58 KB
 Viewed:  19911 Time(s)

ScreenHunter_01 Mar. 25 13.27.jpg




Last edited by dellsweig on Wed Mar 25, 2009 18:06; edited 1 time in total
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 04 Jan 2007
Posts: 10909
Location: Wherever the wind blows- North America

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 17:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Last I heard is Tornado is working on it...but right now TJTAG does NOT work with USB devices.

redhawk

_________________
I currently test dd-wrt on Asus, Buffalo, Linksys, and Netgear. Too many to list.

Looking for more test units (newer models) for the project...got a brick?...PM me to make a donation. (USA) A donation is not a debricking service....it is a way to "Give back" to the dd-wrt project.

I do NOT provide personal assistance through chat or phone....so please don't ask.
dellsweig
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 07 Jun 2006
Posts: 1476
Location: New York, USA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 17:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
Last I heard is Tornado is working on it...but right now TJTAG does NOT work with USB devices.

redhawk


Well - if he needs a guinea pig - I will gladly work with him on getting this working.. I sent him an email - will keep everyone posted - this is a nice clean way of doing a jtag - no paralell interface needed.....
barryware
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 26 Jan 2008
Posts: 12825
Location: Behind The Reset Button

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
dellsweig wrote:
redhawk0 wrote:
Last I heard is Tornado is working on it...but right now TJTAG does NOT work with USB devices.

redhawk


Well - if he needs a guinea pig - I will gladly work with him on getting this working.. I sent him an email - will keep everyone posted - this is a nice clean way of doing a jtag - no paralell interface needed.....


And the bonus is it can be a much longer cable.

_________________
[Moderator Deleted] Shocked
dellsweig
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 07 Jun 2006
Posts: 1476
Location: New York, USA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 21:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
dellsweig wrote:
redhawk0 wrote:
Last I heard is Tornado is working on it...but right now TJTAG does NOT work with USB devices.

redhawk


Well - if he needs a guinea pig - I will gladly work with him on getting this working.. I sent him an email - will keep everyone posted - this is a nice clean way of doing a jtag - no paralell interface needed.....


And the bonus is it can be a much longer cable.


Will let everyone know when I hear back from tornado regarding a USB compatible version of JTAG. I ordered the USB version of the cable - the price was right.
tcharron
DD-WRT User


Joined: 12 Aug 2007
Posts: 112

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 20:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
I hope that a solution with this can be found, but I don't think it will be the silver bullet you're hoping for.

In my limited experience, USB devices all have drivers that are unique. If a device is (for example) replicating a parallel port capability, then the driver will probably replicate what is needed from a software perspective for parallel port access. This provides a lot of compatibility for existing applications, as well as developers using existing tools to build new applications.

With a dedicated USB device (like the one above), chances are that there is no pre-existing code for it, and that any developer wanting to write software that works with it will need to deal with the provided drivers rather than the OS.

This dosn't make it a impossible, but it does seem to me to mean that there is less likelihood of a generic solution.

I still think that with PCI based parallel ports costing about $10, they are the cheaper way to go for someone who doesn't have a built-in parallel port on their computer.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum