USB based JTAG ??

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Tornado
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello all,

I think we need usb jtag support in Tjtag, As tcharron and LOM have pointed out, there are a few issues. First, no really standard, everyone make there own drivers, etc..

Like LOM pointed out, it would be best to find a cable supported by OpenOCD or Urjtag, and possibly the AVR project, since to source is open, we may be able to borrow from it.

The Blackcat device looks interesting, I will have to look at it more closely.

dellsweig,
If I were you I would buy at least ont of the 6 pin MTE cables and or make one, so that you can easily connect to the correct pins on boards that have a strange or different type pinout. Also, send me the example source and info on the adapter that you bought so I can look over it. These MTE cables are good for the parallel port adapter as well.

The only USB Based jtag I have used is from:
http://www.usbjtag.com/

The author and a forum member sent me the adapter and software free of charge to test. He is a knowledgable and nice person. I have used this adapter on Windows 7 beta 64bit and his 64bit driver, and after some configuration, I was able to achieve some impressive flashing speeds, although this was because of his programming, not the usb adapter.

So, we need to find an adapter like that metioned above...or make our own, capable of being constructed by hobbiest like myself. It would make sence for me to shell out some bucks for a good adapter, but not for most people or users that only do this once or twice.

Also, without having the device, it makes it very time consuming trying to write for it.

My preferred parallel jtag adapter:
TIAO Parallel adapter

Tjtag website - http://tjtag.com

Compiling DD-WRT on:
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3926.667 Mhz

Aptosid X64 - Debian SID X64
Ubuntu 10.10 X64 - Arch X64
Sponsor
dellsweig
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 13:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tornado wrote:
Hello all,

I think we need usb jtag support in Tjtag, As tcharron and LOM have pointed out, there are a few issues. First, no really standard, everyone make there own drivers, etc..

Like LOM pointed out, it would be best to find a cable supported by OpenOCD or Urjtag, and possibly the AVR project, since to source is open, we may be able to borrow from it.

dellsweig,
If I were you I would buy at least ont of the 6 pin MTE cables and or make one, so that you can easily connect to the correct pins on boards that have a strange or different type pinout. Also, send me the example source and info on the adapter that you bought so I can look over it. These MTE cables are good for the parallel port adapter as well.

The author and a forum member sent me the adapter and software free of charge to test. He is a knowledgable and nice person. I have used this adapter on Windows 7 beta 64bit and his 64bit driver, and after some configuration, I was able to achieve some impressive flashing speeds, although this was because of his programming, not the usb adapter.

So, we need to find an adapter like that metioned above...or make our own, capable of being constructed by hobbiest like myself. It would make sence for me to shell out some bucks for a good adapter, but not for most people or users that only do this once or twice.

Also, without having the device, it makes it very time consuming trying to write for it.

Tornado

First - I have already made the cable adapoter for the 6 pin MTE. No big deal.

Secondly - I would be glad to send you the software that came with teh adapter - and for that matter would have no problem loaning you the adapter to do dev work - it would be worthwhile for everyone...

PM me or email me - you should have my home email.

Let me know what I can do to help with the process

Dan
dellsweig
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 14:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
dellsweig wrote:
Tornado wrote:
Hello all,

dellsweig,

Tornado

Secondly - I would be glad to send you the software that came with teh adapter - and for that matter would have no problem loaning you the adapter to do dev work - it would be worthwhile for everyone...

Dan

Additional info regarding the Dilgent USB Jtag adapter -

http://www.soft32.com/download_181806.html

Looks there are freeware drivers out there - apparently thse work with the Linksys cable modems - no idea if that translates to the Linksys routers
HyperVerbal
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
You can probably program the flash chip in your Linksys router with the cable modem software by setting up address ranges manually but I haven't seen the software in action so it is hard to give a definite answer.

It would be nice if Tornado decided to include USB devices in tjtag and selected a device like this which
can be had cheap.

I'd be willing to send my Bricked Netgear Wnr834bv2 and my BlackCAT for development if they send it back to me working... I just don't have the money to buy a Jtag or build one and mess with all that... though i want to bad but the money is not there right now.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
dellsweig wrote:

Dan

Check these out.. I am going to use these on my jtag as well as serial console. Gotta pay attention to the wire colors (or whatever), but you can hook to anything.. Pin by pin. Just ordered up a bunch.

http://www.connectworld.net/cgi-bin/dataw/HD1X01F

http://www.connectworld.net/cgi-bin/dataw/HDPINF

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 21:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, this is usbjtag from www.usbjtag.com.
I am willing to add more routers to the support list. The JTAG theory is the same and even if you do not use USB JTAG NT as long as you understand the theory you still can use open source JTAG and modify the source to fit your needs.
So far I have JTAGed most of the linksys routers (all MIPS EJTAG) and some Netgear routers.

Many had asked the programming speed, it all depends on the type of the flash, for flash without page write (most 2M flash), the programming speed is about 150KB/s. For large flash (8M) the programming speed had gone to 350KB/s. This means to program a 8M flash will take less than 30 seconds. (exclude the erase time which is about one minute).

If you only need to program the CFE (I never do this is the JTAG is faster than the TFTP), then it is about 1-2 seconds.
dellsweig
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 21:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
usbjtag wrote:
I am willing to add more routers to the support list. The JTAG theory is the same and even if you do not use USB JTAG NT as long as you understand the theory you still can use open source JTAG and modify the source to fit your needs.
So far I have JTAGed most of the linksys routers (all MIPS EJTAG) and some Netgear routers.

Many had asked the programming speed, it all depends on the type of the flash, for flash without page write (most 2M flash), the programming speed is about 150KB/s. For large flash (8M) the programming speed had gone to 350KB/s. This means to program a 8M flash will take less than 30 seconds. (exclude the erase time which is about one minute).

If you only need to program the CFE (I never do this is the JTAG is faster than the TFTP), then it is about 1-2 seconds.

Are you saying these work as is - just plug and play - same command output and prompts as the ejtag app tornado did??
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 21:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
usbjtag wrote:

usbjtag...I do appreciate your willingness to help us out here...but that doesn't change the fact that you want still want $60 (on sale)for the unit...which is a bit pricey for the amount of use by the majority of our users....heck we can buy a new router (or 2) for that price.

Is there a lower cost solution to USB...that seems to be the point of this thread....users want a cost effective solution.

redhawk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
When I started I had one old blackcat cable and I did not even finished one usage and it stop using it forever (It took more than 40 minutes to program the 2M flash and computer was at 99% usage).

I need speed and I do anything to get speed (Lost the flexibility, even the CPLD was optimized for EJTAG speed).

If speed is not an issue the normal pjtag is good enough. The FTDI chip is also good solution and relative fast (USB of course). But if you want full control then you are losing some speed for that.

I will recommend to use FTDI for the purpose and cost effective JTAG.

Just went to
http://www.keil.com/ulink2/specs.asp

And found this
Performance
JTAG Clock <= 10MHz
JTAG RTCK Support
(Return Clock)
Memory R/W
(Bytes/sec) ≈ 28K
Flash R/W
(Bytes/sec) ≈ 25K
Single-Step (Fast)
(Instructions/sec) ≈ 50

Well USB JTAG NT can to Memory R at speed 460KB/s (EJTAG 2.6) and W at speed 650KB/s
Not to mention the flash speed.
Shawn360
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
usbjtag wrote:
When I started I had one old blackcat cable and I did not even finished one usage and it stop using it forever (It took more than 40 minutes to program the 2M flash and computer was at 99% usage).

I need speed and I do anything to get speed (Lost the flexibility, even the CPLD was optimized for EJTAG speed).

If speed is not an issue the normal pjtag is good enough. The FTDI chip is also good solution and relative fast (USB of course). But if you want full control then you are losing some speed for that.

Just went to

And found this
Performance
JTAG Clock <= 10MHz
JTAG RTCK Support
(Return Clock)
Memory R/W
(Bytes/sec) ≈ 28K
Flash R/W
(Bytes/sec) ≈ 25K
Single-Step (Fast)
(Instructions/sec) ≈ 50

Well USB JTAG NT can to Memory R at speed 460KB/s (EJTAG 2.6) and W at speed 650KB/s
"recommend to use FTDI for the purpose and cost effective JTAG". Do you have a diagram on how to use this and what drivers so Tornado can add support to his program?
Your product looks good but as said it's way to expense for what we want to use it for at that price you better off just buying a new router after all most people will only use it once.
usbjtag
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 22:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
No I do not have the diagram. But I have used this chip before.
Putting them together and make it a usable JTAG needs a lot of work based on my experience with my product.
HyperVerbal
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
usbjtag wrote:

Just went to

And found this
Performance
JTAG Clock <= 10MHz
JTAG RTCK Support
(Return Clock)
Memory R/W
(Bytes/sec) ≈ 28K
Flash R/W
(Bytes/sec) ≈ 25K
Single-Step (Fast)
(Instructions/sec) ≈ 50

How does the USB JTAG NT compare to the JTAG they have at http://www.jtagtest.com?... I was not able to find speeds but it does have the versatility from what i can see... that and the test program to verify. Smile
usbjtag
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
The JTAG on http://www.jtagtest.com is used for chip testing. USB JTAG NT is used for program the flash based on MIPS core. It will support more CPUs in the future. It has SPI flash support (Not using JTAG).
HyperVerbal
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 22:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
usbjtag wrote:
The JTAG on http://www.jtagtest.com is used for chip testing. USB JTAG NT is used for program the flash based on MIPS core. It will support more CPUs in the future. It has SPI flash support (Not using JTAG).

oh cool, so i guess its right up our ally... so this will support the Linksys, Buffalo and Netgear routers i'd like to explore with JTAG? Well yeah to a point but others is what i'm talking about. I just need to justify my tax return being spent.
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 0:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
dellsweig wrote:

Are you saying these work as is - just plug and play - same command output and prompts as the ejtag app tornado did??

I suggest you do as I did -- go to his forum, register and download the demo videos of Linksys router programming.
You can also download his JTAG program if you want to check out the menus and buttons.

From what I have seen (I'm quite a bit impressed) his program has the same functions as Tornado's, the main difference being the GUI with tabs and buttons for easy click selection.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: