WRT300 V1.1 - Jtag port confirmation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 23:44    Post subject: WRT300 V1.1 - Jtag port confirmation Reply with quote
Greetings...

I just bought a wrt300n v1.1 refurb. Probably one that someone here bricked and brought it back Razz

I fired it up to make sure is is not DOA and it works.

Next step is to take it apart. Very Happy

Before I mess with it, it is my practice to back it up via jtag. In reading some old posts in regards to support for this device, I read that the jtag port was a tiny 12 pin port. In the pic, that would be JP1.

I also read that JP2 was confirmed to be the jtag port. However, JP2 is a 5 pin port on the normal 0.100 spacing. I believe that JP2 would be the serial port.

JP3 on the other hand, looks like a normal linksys jtag port. It is on 0.100 spacing, pins 2-12 are ground, and pins 1-11 have SMC resisters present.

I'm asking cause JP3 holes are filled with solder so it is a bit of work to clean'em up to get the header put in so I don't want to do that work to find out JP2 (the 5 pin) is really the jtag header (which also needs cleaning up).

Any confirmation would be appreciated.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 23:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
JP3 is most likely your JTAG. JP2 is serial. JP1????

[EDIT] - it could also be that you have 2 JTAG ports...one is for the flash chip...the other is for the radio chip....I remember Eko saying that there are 2 JTAGs on some units. You can program the radio separately....I guess....don't know how or why though.

redhawk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 23:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Red... Are you sure or are you putting 2 + 2 together (like me)? Following the traces, it looks like it is going to a broadcom 4321. I read somewhere that is the radio processor.

Donno... That's why I'm asking.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 0:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Red... This is one of the old threads that say JP1 is the jtag port.. However, it's hard to follow..
That's a little f$cking port... I assume the pins are the same, just tiny. Maybe I won't worry about it till I brick it Razz

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24912&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=wrt300&start=135

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mr. Green

Last edited by barryware on Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:56; edited 2 times in total
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
Thanks Red... Are you sure or are you putting 2 + 2 together (like me)? Following the traces, it looks like it is going to a broadcom 4321. I read somewhere that is the radio processor.

Donno... That's why I'm asking.

No...I am not 100% sure...and judging from that thread the JP1 is the Flash chip JTAG. The printout of JTAG dialog on JP1 is pretty convincing.

I would say that I had it backwards....JP1 is Flash JTAG...and JP3 is for the radio chip.

I say...lets get a header on there...and get a printout of the dialog....to be sure.

redhawk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
$hit... I don't have any of those headers.. Maybe I'll solder in pins.

I could order a header or 10, but the damn shipping is more than the parts. I gotta measure the centers of the holes so I know what to get.

I got it running dd-wrt. The install was painless so maybe I won't worry about it for now.

It's a nice router.. The only thing that would make it 100& would be to have removable antenna's but they are fixed.

Getting it apart was a bitch.. It took a minute or two to figure it out without breaking anything.

The wife is gone all next week so I got something to do now.

Incase anyone is interested... E-Cost.com has these for 39 bucks. They are refurb's but it came in a linksys box with a big refurb sticker on it. So it is factory serviced, not used (you know what I mean).

I wonder which member of this community bricked it and returned it. Razz

Navigation

Jump to: