Download quotas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
zaxatron
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:32    Post subject: Download quotas Reply with quote
Hi

I am new in this forum and have just upgraded my wrt54g v5 to dd-wrt micro version successfully.

My question is this:

I would like to configure a download quota to one of the ethernet ports in the back so that the user that is connected to it will get a certain amount of download quota.

This user downloads a lot of p2p stuff and it is using all my bandwidth before the end of the month causing my adsl service to slow down to 64kbps. I have used opendns to block people but they complain a lot when this happens. Since they are contributing to pay the internet bill I would like to allocate a certain amount per user or computer.

Can this shaping be applied to wireless as well?

Thanks and regards

Zaxatron
Sponsor
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
The wrt54g v5 only has 8mb ram and 2mb flash which are both terrible for QoS. I suggest using the script generator and only use a few ip based rules to avoid loading any kernel modules. Using rules that require kernel modules to load will eat up your ram and often causes crashes once connections start to rise. Trying to fit too many rules into nvram will force you to reset everything if it ever reboots.
NXIL
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:46    Post subject: Paid version? Reply with quote
I think the commercial/paid version lets you allocate bandwidth.

Since everyone is contributing, how about upgrading the service to a better tier with no bandwidth use limitation?

And, for your heavy users: how about having them chip in more each month towards the bill?

SP1: it's a problem.
Blazian
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
You could always use Access Restrictions to block P2P applications specifically instead of blocking people completely from using the web. Also you can set it up where they can only do P2P at certain times of the day or certain days period. I believe to get exactly what you want though you would probably have to buy the special version, not sure though. Wink
WRT54G v5 BS micro 14684(RB)
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Access Restrictions have the same problem as QoS on an 8MB ram device. It causes the same kernel modules to load that similar QoS rules would. ie. if you choose to restrict torrents it loads the ipt_ipp2p kernel module as it would if you used QoS to slow torrents.
zaxatron
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the prompt replies.

Unfortunately here in Australia, unlimited broadband is a dream for home users.

If you can get it they will charge you $150 per month. Currently I am paying $70 per month for a 40GB download quota.

I understand you can charge people more money but the issue is not the money entirely. When you are slowed down it sucks and I have to put up with it for a week before it resets again.

I would like to buy another older linksys router with more memory but i cannot find them to buy.

Is there any open source router support for netgears?
NXIL
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 14:33    Post subject: Bandwidth bandits Reply with quote
Dear Zax,
Quote:

Is there any open source router support for netgears?

A couple: go to this page

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv3/dd-wrt/hardware.html

and type in "Netgear", it will list the supported (a few) and unsupported (lots) models.

But, it seems for you that the router is not the limiting factor, it's the incoming 'pipe', combined with the gluttonous user.

$70/month per 40gb/mo = $1.75/GB

$150/month per ∞ GB = much less $.

Possible solutions:

--Tell the bandwidth hog he/she needs to get their own internet connection; boot them off the collective.

--Tell the bandwidth hog he/she needs to pay $100/month, so you can upgrade to unlimited (or split the cost of that $150/mo connnection in a way that makes sense for all of you.).

--Have all users agree: no P2P, limit downloads.

How many users are sharing that one connection?

NX

SP1: it's a problem.
zaxatron
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 22:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi and thanks again for your precious support.

There are a few providers here in Australia that provide unlimited broadband but mainly for business.

Those providers that offer all you can eat have very poor performance and latencies because here in OZ we do not have yet an optical fibre network to link exchanges , users etc. We still rely heavily on copper wire. We are unlike the US and Europe. Out government was wanking itself while the other countries were build the optical fibre infrastructure. Now they say they want to spend 4 billion dollars but it will take 8 years to build.

Anyway I do not mind if there is some P2P but must be reasonable. I know I can use access restrictions but it is very hard to track programs like utorrent that use encryption and change ports dynamically.

Do you people know of a router that will do packet analysis to see if it is P2P traffic and shape accordingly?

Regards

Zax
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 22:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any router with dd-wrt can but ones with 8MB ram are highly likely to crash if you do. Look at the supported devices wiki page and pick one that has at least 16MB ram and preferably 4MB or more flash.
Damolp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 0:45    Post subject: Download Quotas Reply with quote
I too live in AUS and find it annoying that we only have fibre to the node in most areas. I use the Asus WL-500 routers mainly a WL-500W currently and it has 32mb of RAM and 8mb of Flash and they are available in most DSE's in AUS.

http://staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=wl-500g&spos=1
http://staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=wl-500w&spos=1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: