Help needed Jtag'ing Linksys WRT54GS v4 please!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
tcharron
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 22:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
The loaddrv.exe step has nothing to do with the parallel port or pci configuration. Loaddrv registers the giveio.sys driver so that it is ready for the jtag step later. The giveio.sys driver does not run at the time that you hit "install", so the error you are seeing is from the loaddrv.exe application itself, not the giveio.sys.

So, Loaddrv.exe is trying to register a new service. What operating system are you running? I don't know if loaddrv works with win95/win98. It definitely would not work with win31.

Is it possible that you are running under a userid that does not have the appropriate authority to register a new service?
Sponsor
hajj_3
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 23:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
im running xp pro sp3 and running with full admin privaleges.
mstombs
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Loadrv is quirky, you don't have to copy the sys files to the system directory, I usually click install then activate and it says "already activated".

You do not need Loadrv and giveio.sys under Linux, and it seems to just work with a PCI multi-IO card I have - you still have to free the port from the printer driver "sudo rmmod lp" on my 64 bit Ubuntu. So maybe that's a route with your dinosaur PC?

I'm surprised the windows version of tjtag doesn't build in the necessary driver support. I tracked down what I believe are the original sources of Loadrv and Giveio.sys here

http://www.routertech.org/viewtopic.php?p=32643#32643

and I don't have to dig the files out of my archive the links still seem to work...

Quote:
It seems that loadrv.exe was written by Paula Tomlinson, described in her May 1995 article in Windows/DOS Developer's Journal (now Windows Developer's Journal), archived here:-

ftp://ftp.cuj.com/sourcecode/wd/1995/may95.zip

Giveio.sys is by Dale Roberts, described in a Dr. Dobbs Journal May 1996 article "Direct Port I/O and Windows NT"

Article and Source code here:-

http://www.ddj.com/architect/184409876?pgno=3

Both were originally for Windows NT!

Last edited by mstombs on Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:00; edited 2 times in total
hajj_3
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
interesting links, any programmers fancy re-writing the app? Rolling Eyes maybe tcharron could add the code into his wrt54g.exe app so that we would only have to use his app for everything, would be amazing:)

Last edited by hajj_3 on Fri Jun 05, 2009 22:41; edited 1 time in total
hajj_3
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 17:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
mstombs, you said you could use ubuntu to jtag a router using a pci parallel card, anyone got a link with further information, i've got ubuntu 9.04 x64 which i can use as a live cd or if needed i could install it.

Maybe a linux guide could be added to the wiki that was updated with detailed windows information a few weeks ago.

thanks.
tcharron
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
The reason that loaddrv and giveio.sys are needed is because user applications are prevented from doing "bad things" to the computer. For this reason, it is not straightforward to write an application that doesn't need giveio/loaddrv.

It's easier to send your router to someone who can get their configuration working than to rewrite the tools.
mstombs
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 0:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
hajj_3 wrote:
mstombs, you said you could use ubuntu to jtag a router using a pci parallel card, anyone got a link with further information, i've got ubuntu 9.04 x64 which i can use as a live cd or if needed i could install it.

Maybe a linux guide could be added to the wiki that was updated with detailed windows information a few weeks ago.

thanks.

The only thing I had to do to get program tjtagv2 and the 64 bit version of tjtag3 downloaded from here

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/down.php?path=downloads%2Fothers%2Ftornado%2Fjtag/

to work on ubuntu 9.04 64 bit was to disable the printer driver that had attached itself to the parallel port

Code:
sudo rmmod lp

I suggest the fact that Tornado supplies a 64 bit Linux binary it works for others too!

The PCI parallel port card is one of these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360154590974
hajj_3
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
hi guys, i've borrowed a friend's desktop which has a parallel port, i've run loaddrv.exe and loaded and started the driver now.

When i do the following in command prompt it says it cant connect:

c:\wrt54g.exe -probeonly /noemw

this is using tornado v3.0 RC1, i've tried with v2 aswell. The power cable to the router isn't plugged in when i'm doing the command, does it need to be plugged in? Its either that or i need to re-solder.

I'm not sure what u mean by:

"Prior to issuing a jtag command, get the utility ready to launch.. Plug in the router (power), and quickly hit the enter key to launch the utility."

do you mean plug in the power cable then quickly run: "c:\wrt54g.exe -probeonly /noemw" ?

thanks guys.
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
hajj_3 wrote:
hi guys, i've borrowed a friend's desktop which has a parallel port, i've run loaddrv.exe and loaded and started the driver now.

When i do the following in command prompt it says it cant connect:

c:\wrt54g.exe -probeonly /noemw

this is using tornado v3.0 RC1, i've tried with v2 aswell. The power cable to the router isn't plugged in when i'm doing the command, does it need to be plugged in? Its either that or i need to re-solder.

I'm not sure what u mean by:

"Prior to issuing a jtag command, get the utility ready to launch.. Plug in the router (power), and quickly hit the enter key to launch the utility."

do you mean plug in the power cable then quickly run: "c:\wrt54g.exe -probeonly /noemw" ?

thanks guys.

Your router must be powered up.
WRT54G.exe is not tornados jtag program use tjtag2 or tjtag3.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
One more thing...you say it is a GSv4 unit. That unit requires a special header to load. (once you get to the point of loading firmware)....try this build when you get the nvram and kernel cleared.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/06-19-09-r12319/broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_mini_wrt54gsv4.bin

As for not being able to run the loaddrv without errors. Maybe the crap on that CD isn't good. I never trust anything that doesn't come directly from the project....you never know what someone else edited in to it and then called it "enhanced" either.

This is a known good giveio.sys driver. (attached)

redhawk

giveio.zip
 Description:
giveio.sys

Download
 Filename:  giveio.zip
 Filesize:  1.77 KB
 Downloaded:  1066 Time(s)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
yeah i renamed the .exe to wrt54g.exe. It worked btw, i managed to erase those things.

Can i leave the header soldered onto the router and it still work fine or do i have to de-solder it now?

just need to figure out what settings i need in tftp.exe to load the firmware onto the router and the procedure for doing it with plugging in and out etc.

Last edited by hajj_3 on Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:09; edited 1 time in total
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
hajj_3 wrote:
yeah i renamed the .exe to wrt54g.exe. It worked btw, i managed to erase those things.

Can i leave the header soldered onto the router and it still work fine or do i have to de-solder it now?

great...leave it soldered in.

Now use the tftp utility to load the firmware I pointed to above.

redhawk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
do i need to install a micro version first?

do i have to install official linksys version first.

would be great if you could paste me which steps are needed, i'm on the home run now, not much left to do:)
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
hajj_3 wrote:
do i need to install a micro version first?

do i have to install official linksys version first.

would be great if you could paste me which steps are needed, i'm on the home run now, not much left to do:)

I already linked you to the FW you need. You do not need micro first, you don't need to reinstall Linky FW.

Follow the Peacock Sticky step #11 for tftp instructions.

redhawk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks guys, my router is now fixed:)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: