I can't get bwlog working...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
flammable
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
I suppose that could have been why my stats zeroed out after I unplugged my router and modem. Maybe it just doesn't function with v24.
Sponsor
kingmoocow
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
flammable wrote:
I suppose that could have been why my stats zeroed out after I unplugged my router and modem. Maybe it just doesn't function with v24.

I guess it's just as well - the built in looks to be pretty good, I just liked the idea of it backing up to FTP just in case so I don't lose the data.
davenovak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 21:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
I too am using dd-wrt v24 and keep getting a 0 byte file copied to my FTP site. So long as my router stays up, WRTbwlog does seem to report the correct traffic bandwidth, but now all is lost if the router needs to be rebooted. With Comcast now monitoring "excessive usage", it would be good to know where I stand.

Has anybody resolved this issue? Any hints for me to fix this myself?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.
kingmoocow
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Has anybody resolved this issue? Any hints for me to fix this myself?

This thread is pretty dead, I'm thinking. I never did find a way to make bwlog work on v24. A slightly less powerful version is already built in to v24 tough -- Status Tab, then WAN tab. What you get on this tab is daily and monthly inbound usage and outbound usage, all stored in NVRam (so no need for crazy ftp setups). It's lacking a few things that I liked from BWlog - it doesn't do threshold alerts, and it doesn't have a 'combined' bandwidth used, but you can easily add the in and out together to get your total used. This seems to be working for me.
pcmike
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
There appears to be a problem with tar (among other COMMON linux utilities) in V24 that results in files not being archived properly. The scripts in WRTbwlog are properly invoking all commands properly, but the utilities are not working. Checkout this example:

Code:

root@mercury:/tmp/bwlog# ls -l traffic.cgi; tar -czf blah.tgz traffic.cgi; ls -l blah.tgz
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         6331 Jun 17  2006 traffic.cgi
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root            0 Dec  1 00:49 blah.tgz

As you can see the file traffic.cgi clearly has SIZE as reported by ls, but when I attempt to archive it with tar the resulting file has ZERO size. I wish someone from the DD-WRT would help us fix this problem.

kingmoocow wrote:
@lybrand:
I had this same issue with v24 until I used this version mentioned earlier in the thread:
http://www.krikkit.net/download/wrtbwlog_cust_exp.tgz

Now it works great, except I'm getting the BWData.tgz as a 0byte file for backups -- verified it's -0b on the router as well, not just on the FTP, so it's not the FTP's fault... Can't figure out why it's 0b - it's logging BW usage data, so it seems that /something/ should be in there.
pcmike
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alright guys... I got backups and everything working as it relates to WRTbwlog and V24 (mega) on a Linksys WRT54GS. I have not tested this package on anything but the aforementioned device. The problem with the package provided previously in this thread (when it comes to V24 (mega)) is that tar compression is broken. For some odd reason you're not able to tar something and gzip it all on the same command line. I went ahead and modified the backup.sh so that the file would first be archived (tar'd) and then compressed (gzip'd) and then renamed properly. It may not be elegant, but it now works properly. Also while fixing this I also fixed a "2 >" towards the bottom that shouldn't have had the space.. so now if you manually execute backup.sh there is no "2: not found" output. Anyhow, I credit all these findings to a user on IRC that goes by the nick of trees*, if it wasn't for him I'd still be slightly lost.

I'm attaching a fully working copy of WRTbwlog to this post, enjoy!

wrtbwlog_fixed.tgz
 Description:
Completely working WRTbwlog fixed for V24 (mega) on a Linksys WRT54GS.

Download
 Filename:  wrtbwlog_fixed.tgz
 Filesize:  91.92 KB
 Downloaded:  1442 Time(s)

ve2mrx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 21:39    Post subject: some updates for bwlog on v24 (should be OK for v23 too!) Reply with quote
pcmike wrote:
Alright guys... I got backups and everything working as it relates to WRTbwlog and V24 (mega) on a Linksys WRT54GS. ... The problem with the package provided previously in this thread (when it comes to V24 (mega)) is that tar compression is broken. For some odd reason you're not able to tar something and gzip it all on the same command line. I went ahead and modified the backup.sh so that the file would first be archived (tar'd) and then compressed (gzip'd) and then renamed properly. It may not be elegant, but it now works properly. ... Anyhow, I credit all these findings to a user on IRC that goes by the nick of trees*, if it wasn't for him I'd still be slightly lost.

I'm attaching a fully working copy of WRTbwlog to this post, enjoy!

Thanks for the tip about Tar + Gzip!

I added to your mods those I already cooked up for other issues I had.

I had modified the custom.sh so the site password configured and saved in .htaccess would survive a reboot of the router.

Also, some files like bwdata.tgz where not cleaned up after use and where bloating the /tmp/bwlog folder (so, router RAM) and where uselessly backed up in a wrtbwlog_cust.tgz when made. Now, those files are removed after copying to their final destinations.

Martin

2008-12-21c_v24fixed_wrtbwlog_cust.tgz
 Description:
my completed version, rename to wrtbwlog_cust.tgz

Download
 Filename:  2008-12-21c_v24fixed_wrtbwlog_cust.tgz
 Filesize:  92.32 KB
 Downloaded:  1505 Time(s)

kvad
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 14:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Trying to get this working on dd-wrt.v24-11650_NEWD_std-nokaid_usb.bin. Did everything as wiki page advises. Http demon starts ok and log jobs are running as far as I can tell. But when I go to 192.168.1.1:8000 I see empty page. Literally - the source for webpage is empty. Any suggestions?
kenR
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 0:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi guys, sorry to bring up and old subject. I've installed these last two versions one v24 mega and they both are asking for a password when I go to any of the bwlog status screens . It's not the password for the router or other common default passwords I know, so what is it?

Thank you,
themdg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 23:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
kenR wrote:
Hi guys, sorry to bring up and old subject. I've installed these last two versions one v24 mega and they both are asking for a password when I go to any of the bwlog status screens . It's not the password for the router or other common default passwords I know, so what is it?

Hi kenR. I was trying to find this same thing today. It looks like the root passwd is stored (encrypted) in /tmp/bwlog/.htpasswd. If you replace it with the routers root passwd (also encrypted) from /.htpasswd you should be able to log in.

Anyone know how to make port 8000 accessible from off site? I tried a port 8000 forward to 192.168.1.1, but no dice.
kenR
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
That solved my problem, Thank You.

Ken
ve2mrx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 16:32    Post subject: Oops! forgot to remove password! Reply with quote
Hi guys!

You're right, I forgot to remove the .htaccess file before uploading the file a long time ago... So, it would have asked for a password Embarassed

Sorry for not realizing this earlier, but my visits are sporadic here, I don't mess that much with my working setups Smile

2008-12-21d_v24fixed_wrtbwlog_cust.tgz
 Description:
Password removed. No other changes. Please report if works, might be bad.

Download
 Filename:  2008-12-21d_v24fixed_wrtbwlog_cust.tgz
 Filesize:  90.65 KB
 Downloaded:  1368 Time(s)

siafu
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm trying to run bwlog on a WRT160NL. When I try to run mini_httpd, I get the following error:
Code:

./mini_httpd: line 1: syntax error: "(" unexpected

I receive this error using either of the two bwlog packages referenced in the DD-WRT wiki, or with the latest package provided above.

I assume this error is related to the binary version of mini_httpd being compiled for different linux kernel versions (e.g. 2.4 instead of 2.6)?

Does anyone know where I could get a binary of mini_httpd that runs on the WRT160NL?

Also, I notice on the WRL160NL that wl is wl_atheros. Will this throw off any of the data collection scripts?

WZR-HP-AG300H & DIR-412 (Nairobi - Kenya)
WRT54GS v3 (Bunia - DRC)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: