WHR-HP-G54 and v24-sp2 = wireless bridge mode not working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
weirdg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 21:15    Post subject: WHR-HP-G54 and v24-sp2 = wireless bridge mode not working Reply with quote
Hi,

I have the following setup:
- Buffalo WHR-HP-G54(wireless bridge)
- Siemen Gigaset SE567 ADSL Modem/Wireless router(host router)
- DD-WRT v24-sp2

I used the tutorial posted here:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Bridge

I can get the entire setup working just fine with DD-WRT v24-sp1, but when I try to copy the entire setup using v24-sp2 it fails to connect to the host router. For the time being I've gone back to v24-sp1, since it guaranteed to work for me.

I know v24-sp2 is still in the beta phase, but has anyone else been able to successfully setup their WHR-HP-G54 as a wireless bridge? If so, is there something missing from the tutorial that needs to be set?

Please advise.

Thanks,
WG
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 22:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dump SP1. Read the announcements at the top of the forum before going any further.

You appear to be copying config files to a different build. That's a no no. What type of bridge are you trying to create?

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
weirdg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 22:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm not copying files between different builds, I'm manually configuring the router using the settings mentioned in the tutorials.

What are the differences between the following builds?
dd-wrt.v24-12307_NEWD_std
dd-wrt.v24-12307_VINT_std
dd-wrt.v24_std_generic(brainslayer)

I'm trying to created a wireless bridge with my WHR-HP-G54.

Siemens Gigaset SE567 --> WHR-HP-G54 --> Playstation 3 and Media Center

The PS3 and media center are connected by ethernet.

WG
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 22:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
There are four different ways of creating a bridge, all of which are explained in the peacock thread. All of them work fine with all builds after SP1, if you configure them properly, but they are different and require different configuration.

You want client bridge, I believe.

Whether you need vint or newd is also explained in the peacock thread. You want newd.

The differences between 12307 and BS builds would take too long to explain....use either 11296 or 12307. Again, that is also in...(guess where)

So....read the peacock carefully.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
weirdg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 23:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the help Murrkf. It's greatly appreciated. I'm reading through the Peacock thread now. Hopefully everything works when I do the upgrade to dd-wrt.v24-12307_NEWD_std.

WG
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
weirdg wrote:
Thanks for the help Murrkf. It's greatly appreciated. I'm reading through the Peacock thread now. Hopefully everything works when I do the upgrade to dd-wrt.v24-12307_NEWD_std.

WG

I am sure it will. Wink

weirdg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
No dice.

I loaded dd-wrt.v24-12307_NEWD_std on my WHR-HP-G54 and then did a hard reset(30-30-30), and it won't connect to my host router(Siemens Gigaset SE657). I'm trying to use the WHR-HP-G54 in bridge mode. I following the bridging tutorial exactly as shown.

The same process worked fine when I was using v24-sp1, but doesn't with v24-sp2. The Wireless-G light on my router keeps blinking when I try to connect to the host router.

Any ideas?
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Encryption problems? Tried unencrypted?

Location: Galati - RO / Kishinev - MD / Geneva - CH / Tarragona - E

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, here I do use the WHR-HP-G54 for our WIFI link to the main provider, and we do host servers using the repeater function using the 12307 micro-plus NEWD without any trouble.

I am pretty sure you have a mistake in your configuration.

Try using an unencrypted link and a fixed IP for your bridge, then try with encryption. WEP, WPA, etc.

Also, do the same using the DHCP of your main AP. It could be an issue from this point of view, and that it does not provide the IP, or the DHCP is out of free IPs. Check that.

Michel.

All Senao EOC-2610 V1.10 Std 15362 BS
1x UBNT Bullet 2 - RP 18dB Panel - 11Mbps - 13Km link
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 13:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yup. You've done something incorrectly. Which bridge type did you configure and which instructions did you folllow.
weirdg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 15:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've the a hard reset(30-30-30) a few times now, and I still end up with the same results. The guide I've been following is this one:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Bridge

I know I'm configuring the my client router properly, because the same settings work just fine with v24-sp1, and on my Linksys WRT54G2 DD-WRT v24-sp2 10/30/08 micro. I used the guide above successfully in all instances except with my WHR-HP-G54 and v24-sp2. Is there a step missing from the guide? Please advise.

WG
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Don't use those instructions. Use these:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged

I presume you want a client bridged router, with no wireless clients, on the same subnet as the primary router?

weirdg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 16:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
Don't use those instructions. Use these:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged

I presume you want a client bridged router, with no wireless clients, on the same subnet as the primary router?

Ya, my PS3 and media center should connect to the bridge using a cable. The bridge should connect to my host router wirelessly.

I gave that tutorial a try too, but I still couldn't get my bridge to connect to the host router, that's why I reverted back to the other tutorial. I noticed a new build was released today, so maybe I'll wipe everything clean again and try with that version.

BTW, just should you know the wireless mode is set to wireless-G, with 128-bit WEP encryption, and the transmission rate is 54 Mbps. I've tried to match the settings as closely to my host router as possible.

10.0.0.252(Host Router)
10.0.0.253(WHR-HP-G54 wireless bridge)
10.0.0.254(WRT54GV2 wireless bridge)
The IPs i'm using are different, but that should give you an idea.

If I can't get it to work tonight, then I'll try switching to 128-bit WPA encryption, and set the transmission rate to auto.

WG
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 17:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is not a build issue. Get it sorted out before you change builds.

However, you might have provided the answer....did you set the transmission to 54 instead of auto? That will not work. People believe that setting it to 54 will keep it at 54. But, if the signal cannot support that rate, you will get NO signal. Set it to auto, and let the router handle the speed.

Try no encryption and get that working first.

BTW...I did some heavy editing on that wireless bridge guide...in case you look back at it and find it changed. There was some weird stuff there. I only ran SP1 for a few days, so some of what I saw didn't make sense to me.

weirdg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 17:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
This is not a build issue. Get it sorted out before you change builds.

However, you might have provided the answer....did you set the transmission to 54 instead of auto? That will not work. People believe that setting it to 54 will keep it at 54. But, if the signal cannot support that rate, you will get NO signal. Set it to auto, and let the router handle the speed.

Try no encryption and get that working first.

BTW...I did some heavy editing on that wireless bridge guide...in case you look back at it and find it changed. There was some weird stuff there. I only ran SP1 for a few days, so some of what I saw didn't make sense to me.

Thanks for the tip Murrkf. I will try setting my transmission rate to auto. Hopefully that fixes the problem. It work fine with v24-sp1, but I guess not with v24-sp2.

I also used a shared authentication. Should I set that to auto too? or can I leave it on shared? I'll try to get it working without any encryption first.

WG
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: