WRT54GL - DDNS Problem [Solved]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Glorymajor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 19:20    Post subject: WRT54GL - DDNS Problem [Solved] Reply with quote
Hello guys!

I am having a problem with DDNS here.

My hardware:

WRT54GL V1.1 (SN CL7C...)
DD-WRT v24-SP2 VPN (dd-wrt.v24-11296_NEWD_openvpn.bin)

The problem is that everytime the router tries to contact the DynDNS server, I just got the following message on the DDNS Status Screen: "Connecting to server".

My connection is PPPoE with dynamic IP. So, everytime my IP changes, my DDNS doesnt uptade it! I already tried to re-flash the firmware to Standard and back again to VPN. Didnt solved problem.

Tried to configure DDNS service as Custom and point DYNDNS Server to updates.dnsomatic.com. That didnt worked too. =(

Well guys, I dont know what I could possible do next... I would appreciate some help.

####################################################

EDIT

Posting solution here for those with hurry. Razz

I finally found the solution!!!!

I think I found a bug too Sad

I tested on my dad´s router, and for my surprise, his DynDNS wanst working anymore! (its the same account, with 2 hosts) That only left one variable... The DynDNS site/service. Off course, those things dont stop, so, it could only be my password. I remembered that I changed my password after I moved from my last home to the new one, and when I installed my new Router I got this problem on my hands.

So, yes... The problem was my password (Before any of you ask... YES! I double, triple, you name it......... checked if I wasnt typing correctly, I could log in on the site via browser, but not via DD-WRT).

What I did, was to change my password on DynDNS. My previous password had Upper and Lower letters, special characters and more than 8 digits. I changed to something simpler... Confused (less than 8 chars, only lowercase letters, no special chars). So, I think DD-WRT doesnt support "secure passwords" for DDNS service :(

The service is configured as below

Here is what I was waiting to see! Finally! Very Happy

######################################
DDNS Service = DynDNS.org
User Name = myusername
Password = mypassword
Host Name = somename.homeip.net
Type = Dynamic
Wildcard = no

Options
Force Update Interval = 1

DDNS Status

Sun Aug 2 02:57:46 2009: INADYN: Started 'INADYN Advanced version 1.96-ADV' - dynamic DNS updater.
Sun Aug 2 02:57:47 2009: I:INADYN: IP address for alias 'my.alias.here' needs update to 'my.ip.here'
Sun Aug 2 02:57:47 2009: I:INADYN: Alias 'my.alias.here' to IP 'my ip here' updated successfully.

Works like a charm now!

Hope this helps anyone who got the same god damn problem. Cool

Last edited by Glorymajor on Sun Aug 02, 2009 23:06; edited 3 times in total
Sponsor
smfrank
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
More than likely, you need to upgrade your firmware to something other than sp1. See the two stickies at the top of the forum:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=52043

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
Glorymajor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 20:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
smfrank wrote:
More than likely, you need to upgrade your firmware to something other than sp1. See the two stickies at the top of the forum:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=52043

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486

Ok! I am gonna try to install the beta firmwares and I will post later if that solved my problem. Tks in advance!
Glorymajor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 23:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
I upgraded the firmware to dd-wrt.v24-11296_NEWD_openvpn.

I followed the steps by letter of those posts. Did the 30-30-30 reset and stuff.

I still got the same error on DDNS (DDNS Status = Connecting to server). Does anyone got any ideas?
crashfly
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 23:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Verify that you are connecting to the correct service, and are using the appropriate name/password.

One step that that I have seen overlooked is the naming of the router also. If you have the registered domain name of 'somename.homeip.net' then your router needs to have the host name set to 'somename' and the domain name set to 'homeip.net' under your basic router settings. If this is not done, the service typically does not update at all.

Try Dropbox for syncing files - get 2.5gb online for free by signing up.

Read! Peacock thread
*PLEASE* upgrade PAST v24SP1 or no support.
Glorymajor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
crashfly wrote:
Verify that you are connecting to the correct service, and are using the appropriate name/password.

One step that that I have seen overlooked is the naming of the router also. If you have the registered domain name of 'somename.homeip.net' then your router needs to have the host name set to 'somename' and the domain name set to 'homeip.net' under your basic router settings. If this is not done, the service typically does not update at all.

I did the modifications. Put the router name as "somename" and domain as "homeip.net" (just to exemplify, thats not the actual name and domain name of my router). The DDNS service that I am using it is DynDNS.org. I am gonna copy and paste the info thats on my DDNS screen.

User Name = myusername
Password = mypassword
Type = Dynamic
Wildcard = no

Options

DDNS Status
Connecting to server

That still didnt solve my problem. I am still getting the "Connecting to server" message, and the DDNS doesnt update itself. I double checked if i wasnt typing anything wrong (username, password, hostname...)

I have another WRT54GL which I flashed with v24-SP2 and got the same problem... =/ So, I think its safe to say thats not a hardware problem.
Glorymajor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does anyone got any ideas??? I still cant update DDNS via DD-WRT... Sad
gaganwalia
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
i have a similar problem, but dyndns works from my 600N router. problem is with no-ip that is not getting updated, it is showing the wrong ip address from 3 days ago.
cevinbrown
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 20:35    Post subject: Re: WRT54GL - DDNS Problem Reply with quote
Glorymajor wrote:
Hello guys!

My hardware:

The problem is that everytime the router tries to contact the DynDNS server, I just got the following message on the DDNS Status Screen: "Connecting to server".

My connection is PPPoE with dynamic IP. So, everytime my IP changes, my DDNS doesnt uptade it! I already tried to re-flash the firmware to Standard and back again to VPN. Didnt solved problem.

Tried to configure DDNS service as Custom and point DYNDNS Server to updates.dnsomatic.com. That didnt worked too. =(

Well guys, I dont know what I could possible do next... I would appreciate some help.

I was having the same problem updating DynDNS although the error was not the same. Many people in this forum have reported having update problems with DynDNS and other services. I fixed my problem by setting the Time settings correctly in Setup. Under Time Settings, enable NTP Client, set the appropriate time zone, set the daylight days in your region (Google it), and use time.nist.gov.

Hope this helps!
Glorymajor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
cevinbrown wrote:
Glorymajor wrote:
Hello guys!

My hardware:

I was having the same problem updating DynDNS although the error was not the same. Many people in this forum have reported having update problems with DynDNS and other services. I fixed my problem by setting the Time settings correctly in Setup. Under Time Settings, enable NTP Client, set the appropriate time zone, set the daylight days in your region (Google it), and use time.nist.gov.

Hope this helps!

Tks for the reply.

I tried that too. No effect. :(

The router keeps me telling "Connecting to server" on the DDNS page and thats it...

If anyone know how to fix it, please help!
crashfly
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 23:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
The first time I saw this problem was on a linksys router that did not have the correct name set for it (the name *and* domain). The second time I saw the issue was on my own router and it was because I did not have my name and password set up correctly after a firmware upgrade.

Do realize, there are more than just the name, domain, user name and password options you have to set up. If *any* differ from what you have listed in your zones on dyndns.com, then you will not get it to update. (This includes wildcards and type [static, dynamic, or custom]).

Also, there may be some "issues" with the dyndns servers as of late. I have been getting random errors when trying to update the ip address every two days.

Try Dropbox for syncing files - get 2.5gb online for free by signing up.

Read! Peacock thread
*PLEASE* upgrade PAST v24SP1 or no support.
Glorymajor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
crashfly wrote:
The first time I saw this problem was on a linksys router that did not have the correct name set for it (the name *and* domain). The second time I saw the issue was on my own router and it was because I did not have my name and password set up correctly after a firmware upgrade.

Do realize, there are more than just the name, domain, user name and password options you have to set up. If *any* differ from what you have listed in your zones on dyndns.com, then you will not get it to update. (This includes wildcards and type [static, dynamic, or custom]).

Also, there may be some "issues" with the dyndns servers as of late. I have been getting random errors when trying to update the ip address every two days.

Even so, you should get an error message, right???

I just get "Connecting to Server", nothing more.
I should get some response like "INADY bla bla bla..."

I am gonna try and test my another Router thats on my father´s home. Back then, I got DynDNS up and running... I already tested with another WRT54GL and I got the same error. If this 3rd router doesnt work, I will know that its something with my ISP.

I dont know, but I think its the PPPoE to blame... Its the only thing that changed since I moved to this house. I used another ISP (cable) and I just left the router in DHCP mode for WAN. Now this new ISP is ADSL with PPPoE, so I need to put my username and password for WAN connection. I really dont know if that is the problem, but Its the only thing that I can think right now.
dpp3530
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 13:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've seen a lot of posts about DynDNS not working. I belive it's a known bug.

The workaround I ended up using was to get myself a DNS-O-MATIC account. If you already use OpenDNS, you already have an account. The other benefit is that you can update multiple Dynamic DNS services (in my case DynDNS and OpenDNS).

Go to www.dnsomatic.com and configure your services. It supports most common ones. Then configure the router as below.

DDNS Service: Custom
DYNDNS Server: updates.dnsomatic.com
User Name: your dns-o-matic username
Password: your dns-o-matic password
Host Name: all.dnsomatic.com
URL: /nic/update?

Linksys WRT1900AC
DD-WRT v3.0 STD
Glorymajor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 18:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
dpp3530 wrote:
I've seen a lot of posts about DynDNS not working. I belive it's a known bug.

The workaround I ended up using was to get myself a DNS-O-MATIC account. If you already use OpenDNS, you already have an account. The other benefit is that you can update multiple Dynamic DNS services (in my case DynDNS and OpenDNS).

Go to www.dnsomatic.com and configure your services. It supports most common ones. Then configure the router as below.

DDNS Service: Custom
DYNDNS Server: updates.dnsomatic.com
User Name: your dns-o-matic username
Password: your dns-o-matic password
Host Name: all.dnsomatic.com
URL: /nic/update?

As I stated on the first post, that was the first thing that I tried. And still, getting only the "Connecting to Server" message. Thank you for the reply though.
Glorymajor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
I finally found the solution!!!!

I think I found a bug too Sad

I tested on my dad´s router, and for my surprise, his DynDNS wanst working anymore! (its the same account, with 2 hosts) That only left one variable... The DynDNS site/service. Off course, those things dont stop, so, it could only be my password. I remembered that I changed my password after I moved from my last home to the new one, and when I installed my new Router I got this problem on my hands.

So, yes... The problem was my password (Before any of you ask... YES! I double, triple, you name it......... checked if I wasnt typing correctly, I could log in on the site via browser, but not via DD-WRT).

What I did, was to change my password on DynDNS. My previous password had Upper and Lower letters, special characters and more than 8 digits. I changed to something simpler... Confused (less than 8 chars, only lowercase letters, no special chars). So, I think DD-WRT doesnt support "secure passwords" for DDNS service :(

The service is configured as below

Here is what I was waiting to see! Finally! Very Happy

User Name = myusername
Password = mypassword
Type = Dynamic
Wildcard = no

Options

DDNS Status

Sun Aug 2 02:57:46 2009: INADYN: Started 'INADYN Advanced version 1.96-ADV' - dynamic DNS updater.
Sun Aug 2 02:57:47 2009: I:INADYN: IP address for alias 'my.alias.here' needs update to 'my.ip.here'
Sun Aug 2 02:57:47 2009: I:INADYN: Alias 'my.alias.here' to IP 'my ip here' updated successfully.

Works like a charm now!

Hope this helps anyone who got the same god damn problem. Cool
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: