How Stable is your Signal?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
dellsweig
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
My 2 cents (I am almost out of cents Razz )

You never know but I would think that engineering a device by limiting it's power supply (available current) would be a 1/2 a$$ed way of doing it. Again you never know but I don't think that is what the engineers had in mind.

The PS's could be a bit undersized as a cost cutting method. Just big enough but no "head room" available.

If your audio amp does not have the balls to drive your speakers... what happens? You get clipping & distortion, no "punch", etc. Not exactly the same as powering a router but a pretty close analogy.

Actually - that is a great analogy... Think about this - most of us have seen that increasing the power output degrades the signal (increases noise). My WRT310N works better at 40Mw than at the 70Mw I used to run my WRT54GL at.

Could this simply be the same "clipping" phenomenon barryware describes?? Could be....

What also concerns me is the discussion that the switch chipset uses the most power. This could explain some of the LAN/WAn performance issues many have noted in the past months.

Well - for 20 bucks - I have a couple of these coming.

Even if a fan (either external or internal) becomes necessary - I think that would be a small price to pay fopr a properly performing piece of electronics
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
My 2 cents (I am almost out of sense Razz )

I corrected your spelling....

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
greekstile
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
My 2 cents (I am almost out of cents Razz )

You never know but I would think that engineering a device by limiting it's power supply (available current) would be a 1/2 a$$ed way of doing it. Again you never know but I don't think that is what the engineers had in mind.

The PS's could be a bit undersized as a cost cutting method. Just big enough but no "head room" available.

If your audio amp does not have the balls to drive your speakers... what happens? You get clipping & distortion, no "punch", etc. Not exactly the same as powering a router but a pretty close analogy.

Makes perfect sense. For example, the broadcom chipset in the WRT600N is rated higher than the 2A power supply (5A I believe) can provide. I'm sure cost is a factor. The other being, in stock configuration (stock firmware), things such as Tx power really can't be adjusted higher. So why provide power you won't be able to utilize?

Most of us load third party firmware to get more out of our routers. This is no different.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
In your best Intrest
Your voltage can be +5% to +10% Over Or Under what is needed.
And
Remember + 5% to 10% you shuld have Over the needed Max current draw . to stay on the safe side.

Last edited by Radioman193 on Wed Jul 01, 2009 20:32; edited 3 times in total
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 20:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
barryware wrote:
My 2 cents (I am almost out of sense Razz )

I corrected your spelling....

Thanks Mom... Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
think this shuld ba a "Sticky:" ?
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
The info you have posted is good stuff. You should cut & past the good stuff into the wiki..

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 20:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not Shure in how to do this if a "Mod" can do this im cool with it
Cool

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 20:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Radioman193 wrote:
Not Shure in how to do this if a "Mod" can do this im cool with it
Cool

I'e never "created" a new wiki entry. I have done a bit of editing. Possibly ask one of the mods to create the entry so it is in the right spot, then you do the adding & editing..

I wanted to make a new entry into the "supported devices" grid. I was afraid I would screw it up so one of the mods made the entry, and I added/edited the information.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just received my 12V 5A power supply units. I will be hooking them up to my WRT600N's and reporting back with results later this evening, or tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
greekstile wrote:
I just received my 12V 5A power supply units. I will be hooking them up to my WRT600N's and reporting back with results later this evening, or tomorrow.

Cant wait!!!!! Get to it!!!!
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 23:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
I'e never "created" a new wiki entry. I have done a bit of editing. Possibly ask one of the mods to create the entry so it is in the right spot, then you do the adding & editing.

I got Donny to do it....

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Power_Supply_Info

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
greekstile
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 0:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, so far have done a bit of testing with one of my 600N's. It looks like the signal is more consistent, but not perfectly straight lined, especially on the 5GHz band. 2.4GHz is nearly flat, wtih the occasional blip. Either way, certainly more consistent than stock power supply.

But, I am not really able to realize higher signal by increasing mW on both bands. I pretty much plateau around 70 mW with both bands. I would have expected to be able to push it and get a stronger signal at higher mW. I went up to 251mW via the web interface and up to 1000mW via command line.

I certainly think more testing is in order. Using 12360 WRT610N build, the 2.4 GHz Tx power seems to react sometimes when I apply changes to the 5GHz radio. So it's hard to tell what is actually happening sometimes.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 0:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
greekstile wrote:
Ok, so far have done a bit of testing with one of my 600N's. It looks like the signal is more consistent, but not perfectly straight lined, especially on the 5GHz band. 2.4GHz is nearly flat, wtih the occasional blip. Either way, certainly more consistent than stock power supply.

But, I am not really able to realize higher signal by increasing mW on both bands. I pretty much plateau around 70 mW with both bands. I would have expected to be able to push it and get a stronger signal at higher mW. I went up to 251mW via the web interface and up to 1000mW via command line.

I certainly think more testing is in order. Using 12360 WRT610N build, the 2.4 GHz Tx power seems to react sometimes when I apply changes to the 5GHz radio. So it's hard to tell what is actually happening sometimes.

Please pass on any heat related observations...
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Someone's gotta try the "5 amp'er" on a 610. The devs have indicated that the 610 reboot problems may be due to an inadequate PS.

I don't have a 610.. If someone wants to donate one to me, I'll be more than happy to spend the 20 bucks on a big PS Razz

Navigation

Jump to: