WRT610N - Status (read first post)

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 171, 172, 173  Next
emilio_rozas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
The differences between Eko and Braislayer's builds are described in this post: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=45891. Basically, Brainslayer's build has a few more stuff tcpdump (debugging) & asterisk (voip)[/url]

Best Regarts
Sponsor
owagner
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Changed: Differences between builds. Please note that Eko's builds do in fact contain tcpdump nowadays.

Best Regards,
Olli

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
PhobMX wrote:
I got the latest version of the firmware and flashed my 3 days old WRT610N.

I didn´t set any non-standard config for wireless, only different SSID for each radio. My router reboots every 2 hours or so with w|0 on (5.4GHz). I turned it off and everything is fine now.

I also noticed the wireless Wifi modes are swapped for w|0 and w|1. ie. Wireless N and wireless A options are available for w|1 which according to my testing is the 2.4GHz radio which isn't right. So w|o has only b/g/n options and it should have a as well.

All other features appear to work just fine, keep the good work!

wl0 is the 2.4Ghz radio and wl1 is the 5Ghz radio...
owagner
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Changed: After checking with Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector and various transmit power settings, it appears that those settings indeed work as advertised for both for the 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz radios, at least with 12427.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 15:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
jtrosky wrote:
FYI, I telnet'd into my 610n and started a ping (just pinging the gateway) and so far, it seems to have stopped the reboot issue...

I did this because I noticed that the 610n seemed to reboot as soon as I did a refresh of the status page (uptime would go to 0 minutes) after letting the router sit idle for a while...

Almost seems that inactivity is what is causing the issue...

Of course, I'm only talking 5 hours of uptime, but I've never gotten that far before I started the ping...

I'll report back after further testing...

Well, so much for the activity theory... After about 17 hours of uptime (and pinging), the router finally rebooted... Oh well, it was worth a shot! Rolling Eyes
socal87
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
PhobMX wrote:

I didn´t set any non-standard config for wireless, only different SSID for each radio. My router reboots every 2 hours or so with w|0 on (5.4GHz). I turned it off and everything is fine now.

I also noticed the wireless Wifi modes are swapped for w|0 and w|1. ie. Wireless N and wireless A options are available for w|1 which according to my testing is the 2.4GHz radio which isn't right. So w|o has only b/g/n options and it should have a as well.

I tried something similar, except I disabled wl1. It seems wl0 is indeed the 2.4GHz radio, as my wireless survey utility reports it as BGN. Interestingly enough, if I set wl1 to N Only too, it shows up as the same. The primary channel is always 2.4GHz, and I need to do a little more experimenting (NA-Only mode) to see if it'll operate solely in the 5GHz band, or both.

Router has been up since I disabled wl1, had a torrent going, so far so good. Disabled wl0 and switched to wl1, we'll see how long this stays up.

Anyone know how stable this thing is on stock firmware? For my purposes I may just use the Linksys firmware for the sake of stability until someone figures out what's causing the issues with this platform.

I had a thought...perhaps MIMO has not been correctly implemented, or perhaps there's a communication issue between the two radio drivers and it could be causing a loop of sorts (particularly if you're using the same frequency for both) ?
jtrosky
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 17:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
socal87 wrote:
PhobMX wrote:

I tried something similar, except I disabled wl1. It seems wl0 is indeed the 2.4GHz radio, as my wireless survey utility reports it as BGN. Interestingly enough, if I set wl1 to N Only too, it shows up as the same. The primary channel is always 2.4GHz, and I need to do a little more experimenting (NA-Only mode) to see if it'll operate solely in the 5GHz band, or both.

Router has been up since I disabled wl1, had a torrent going, so far so good. Disabled wl0 and switched to wl1, we'll see how long this stays up.

Anyone know how stable this thing is on stock firmware? For my purposes I may just use the Linksys firmware for the sake of stability until someone figures out what's causing the issues with this platform.

I had a thought...perhaps MIMO has not been correctly implemented, or perhaps there's a communication issue between the two radio drivers and it could be causing a loop of sorts (particularly if you're using the same frequency for both) ?

My understanding is that wl0 is a 2.4Ghz only radio and wl1 can do either 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz. So, you can have two separate 2.4Ghz wirless networks going at the same time...

I personally use the 5Ghz radio (in CB mode) and it works fine (no reboots) as long as wl0 is off.

It has been reported that the latest Linksys firmware works fine (no reboots)...
socal87
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 17:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
jtrosky wrote:
socal87 wrote:
PhobMX wrote:

My understanding is that wl0 is a 2.4Ghz only radio and wl1 can do either 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz. So, you can have two separate 2.4Ghz wirless networks going at the same time...

I personally use the 5Ghz radio (in CB mode) and it works fine (no reboots) as long as wl0 is off.

It has been reported that the latest Linksys firmware works fine (no reboots)...

Found a bit of a bug. I don't know if this is consistent across builds but at least in my situation it's present. Wireless band settings for wl1 are a bit buggy. If set to N-only it only functions in BG mode. If set to NA-only it only functions in A mode. Might be something sticking when I change the bands, I'm not sure, because I got it to work in NA mode before...

Got it to work in BGN by setting it to Mixed. However cannot change the channel in N mode (important for me since I have several neighbors on 6 and 11) unless channel width is set to either 20 or 40MHz. If in 20, it does not function in N mode. However, setting to 40MHz seems to allow setting of channel, and all three bands work.

Just switched from Mixed to NA Only, and it seems that it's working in true NA mode (5GHz, 20 & 40MHz). Seems to keep roaming channels though, going to try manual setting.

Anyone else have an issue with the radio not operating in the selected mode?

Edit: I don't have a very sophisticated tool, but it does indeed seem as though N mode in the DD-WRT implementation is only 2.4GHz with MIMO. "True" N can use both 2.4 and 5GHz channels for multiple streams, but that does not seem to be the case here.

Last edited by socal87 on Sun Jul 05, 2009 17:51; edited 1 time in total
socal87
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Also trying to figure out MAC of br0 for ipv6 addressing. LAN mac is :EA:40, wl0 is :EA:42, wl1 is :EA:43. Would it be 41?
owagner
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 18:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
"brctl show" is your friend (see the bridge id)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
owagner - So you don't have the reboot issue on your 610n's with CFE .16/7?? Do you have both radios enabled? If so, what modes are they operating in? I also have CFE .16/7 but have not been able to get an uptime near what you are seeing...

Thanks!
PhobMX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 18:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
jtrosky wrote:
socal87 wrote:
PhobMX wrote:

I´d really appreciate if you guys could point me out how are you testing w|0 is 2.4GHz and w|1 is 2.4/5GHz. My tests are definitely showing the opposite. My wireless card is the intel 4965AGN which if you guys don't know, will only work up to 270Mbps if 5GHz freq with 40MHz chnl width is used. This is intel forcing such thing via the driver.

This is how I do it:
1- Name both radios differently to keep things simple.
2-All settings for both radios are set to Mixed/Auto.
3- If I connect to w|0 I'll only get up to 130Mbs with auto settings, this is a known issue for my card. If I force 40MHz channel width, my connection speed catapults up to 300-270mbps (minimum of 165mbps if I move to my room). This was measured using win vista's wireless adapter status window.
4- I connect to w|1 with auto settings, again only 130mbps. Then I force 40MHz chan width and still only 130mpbs. I've even tried N-Only mood and still the same results.

Can anybody explain this?
jtrosky
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
PhobMX wrote:

I´d really appreciate if you guys could point me out how are you testing w|0 is 2.4GHz and w|1 is 2.4/5GHz. My tests are definitely showing the opposite. My wireless card is the intel 4965AGN which if you guys don't know, will only work up to 270Mbps if 5GHz freq with 40MHz chnl width is used. This is intel forcing such thing via the driver.

This is how I do it:
1- Name both radios differently to keep things simple.
2-All settings for both radios are set to Mixed/Auto.
3- If I connect to w|0 I'll only get up to 130Mbs with auto settings, this is a known issue for my card. If I force 40MHz channel width, my connection speed catapults up to 300-270mbps (minimum of 165mbps if I move to my room). This was measured using win vista's wireless adapter status window.
4- I connect to w|1 with auto settings, again only 130mbps. Then I force 40MHz chan width and still only 130mpbs. I've even tried N-Only mood and still the same results.

Can anybody explain this?

In my case, it's quite easy to tell.. I'm using a Dlink DIR-825 as my host AP and I'm using the 610n in client bridge mode. First of all, I only have the NA-Only option on the wl1 interface. NA only means to use the A frequency (5Ghz) on the N-Band. There is no NA-Only mode on wl0, so 5Ghz in not possible on wl0.

Are you seeing a "NA-Only" option on wl0???

Also, on the Dlink host AP, it clearly shows the 610n connecting via 5ghz (it show the frequency).
owagner
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 18:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
jtrosky wrote:
owagner - So you don't have the reboot issue on your 610n's with CFE .16/7??

Well, I'm not 100% sure. Very obviously the two CFE.16 devices are seeing a much higher uptime than the CFE.12 one, but I'm only monitoring this for a few days so far and I'm not certain that the other devices don't reboot at all.

The wireless configuration is the same on all 3 devices:

Basis config:

wl0:
- Wireless Mode: AP
- Wireless Network Mode: Mixed
- Wireless Network Name (SSID): 7 chars
- Wireless Channel: 1
- Channel Width: 20 Mhz
- Wireless SSID Broadcast: Enable
- Sensitivity Range: 2000
- Network Configuration: Bridged

wl1:
- Wireless Mode: AP
- Wireless Network Mode: NA-Only
- Wireless Network Name (SSID): 7 chars, same was wl0
- Wireless Channel: 64
- Channel Width: 40 Mhz
- Wireless SSID Broadcast: Enable
- Sensitivity Range: 2000
- Network Configuration: Bridged

Wireless Security:

wl0+wl1:
Security Mode: WPA2 Personal
WPA Algorithm: AES
WPA Shared Key: yes
Key renewal Interval: 3600

Advanced Settings:

wl0:
All default except
Frame Burst: Enable
TX Power: 130

wl1:
All default except
Frame Burst: Enable
TX Power: 133

None of the devices acts as an Internet gateway, so everything related to that (Internet connection, Firewall etc.) is disabled. JFFS2 is enabled on all 3 devices.

The 5 Ghz band is hardly used, since I only have a single dual-band capable client.

Also, the following individual configurations have been done:

-- ap-bad has USB 1.1 enabled and has a USB hub with 3 devices connected: An USB audio module, a PL2303 USB-to-Serial converter and a FTDI USB-to-Serial converter. It runs an esound daemon, wmr928d and remserial
-- ap-wzn has ther Internet port connected to a Siemens S685IP phone with a small routed subnet on it's own.
-- ap-ssn has USB 1.1 enabled and acts as a print server using p910nd. It also has the Internet port connected to a Grandstream SIP phone with a small routed subnet on it's own.

Best Regards,
Olli

Last edited by owagner on Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:09; edited 1 time in total
merlyn3d
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
owagner wrote:
jtrosky wrote:
owagner - So you don't have the reboot issue on your 610n's with CFE .16/7??

Well, I'm not 100% sure. Very obviously the two CFE.16 devices are seeing a much higher uptime than the CFE.12 one, but I'm only monitoring this for a few days so far and I'm not certain that the other devices don't reboot at all.

The wireless configuration is the same on all 3 devices:

-- both radios are used. Both are serving the same SSID. Both have "WPA2 Personal" security with "AES" encryption activated.
-- the 2.4 Ghz radio is set to "Mixed" mode with "20 Mhz" channel width
-- the 5 Ghz radio is set to "NA-Only" with "40 Mhz" channel width
-- TX power is set between 130 and 140mW

None of the devices acts as an Internet gateway, so everything related to that (Internet connection, Firewall etc.) is disabled. JFFS2 is enabled on all 3 devices.

The 5 Ghz band is hardly used, since I only have a single dual-band capable client.

Also, the following individual configurations have been done:

-- ap-bad has USB 1.1 enabled and has a USB hub with 3 devices connected: An USB audio module, a PL2303 USB-to-Serial converter and a FTDI USB-to-Serial converter. It runs an esound daemon, wmr928d and remserial
-- ap-wzn has ther Internet port connected to a Siemens S685IP phone with a small routed subnet on it's own.
-- ap-ssn has USB 1.1 enabled and acts as a print server using p910nd. It also has the Internet port connected to a Grandstream SIP phone with a small routed subnet on it's own.

Best Regards,
Olli

I can't say anything definitive, but my new WRT610n is a CFE.16, my old one (that got returned a few months back) must have been a 12. This one has exhibited far fewer random reboots than the last one I had with DD-WRT. As I write, my uptime is ~9 hrs, and I've seen it stay up for almost 24 hours. My configuration is below:

wl0: 2.4GHz mixed mode | ch 9 20MHz | 71mW | WPA2-AES
wl1: 5GHz NA-only | ch 149+151 40MHz | 71mW | WPA2-AES

I definitely notice that when I copy large copies (~8-9GB) over wl1, I get dropouts or reboots about 2-3 times during the duration of the copy, but without a lot of stress it seems pretty stable (at least much more so than my last wrt610n).
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 171, 172, 173  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 6 of 173
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: