How Stable is your Signal?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
phusion1337
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
dellsweig wrote:
dellsweig wrote:
greekstile wrote:
Blazian wrote:
Thanks for making your Pictures smaller. I'm tired of scrolling side to side to see all of this. Very Happy Shocked Laughing

Dude, get a bigger monitor! Wink

well - my 12V 5A power supplies came yesterday....

Turns out the connector (size and polarity) is a perfect match so no cutting and soldering for me!! (wrt310N)

Immediately, I picked up a 10% improvement in my overall signal between my WRT310N AP and WRT310N CB - from 40% to 44-46%. My signal strength increased and my noise number decreased.

During file transfers I no longer see any chopiness in the dd-wrt or the IPERF graphs. Almost perfect straight lines.

Both units are running fine - no extra heat has been noticed.

This is the supply I bought:
http://www.12vadapters.com/adapter/power-supply/12v/5-amp-5a.html

I did not have any reboot issues before so I cant comment on this.

More information

I tried increasing my transmit power on my WRT310N's from the 40Mw I had been using back to the default of 70Mw.

Note: I had been using 40Mw as this gave me the most stable connection. Signal was not that strong but it gave the best throughput - I assume due to the cleaner signal.

With both my AP and CB ( both wrt310n's) set at 70Mw - I am getting the best signal strength I have ever seen as well as the best SNR and signal numbers I have ever seen with this device. The units are running slightly warmer (to the touch) but I dont see cause for concern here.

My guess is the radio is now able to generate a clean signal (no clipping or distortion) at the higher settings.

Another note: The stock PSU that came with the WRT310N was 1.0A

At this point I would highly reccomend to anyone to try a better power supply

I'm going to give this a try. I actually have a PS with these exact specs that came with one of my old Via MiniITX boxes. Hopefully I don't get any dropouts Smile I'll let you all know!

1 X WNDR3300 - 12387-mini (main router/AP)
3 X WRT310N V1 - 12319-mini (RB)
1 X WRT300N V1 - 10011-mini (RB)
1 X WRT54GS V6 - 10012-mini (RB)
1 X WRT54GL V1.1 - 12288-mini (RB)
Sponsor
dellsweig
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
phusion1337 wrote:
dellsweig wrote:
dellsweig wrote:
greekstile wrote:
Blazian wrote:
Thanks for making your Pictures smaller. I'm tired of scrolling side to side to see all of this. Very Happy Shocked Laughing

Dude, get a bigger monitor! Wink

well - my 12V 5A power supplies came yesterday....

Turns out the connector (size and polarity) is a perfect match so no cutting and soldering for me!! (wrt310N)

Immediately, I picked up a 10% improvement in my overall signal between my WRT310N AP and WRT310N CB - from 40% to 44-46%. My signal strength increased and my noise number decreased.

During file transfers I no longer see any chopiness in the dd-wrt or the IPERF graphs. Almost perfect straight lines.

Both units are running fine - no extra heat has been noticed.

This is the supply I bought:
http://www.12vadapters.com/adapter/power-supply/12v/5-amp-5a.html

I did not have any reboot issues before so I cant comment on this.

More information

I tried increasing my transmit power on my WRT310N's from the 40Mw I had been using back to the default of 70Mw.

Note: I had been using 40Mw as this gave me the most stable connection. Signal was not that strong but it gave the best throughput - I assume due to the cleaner signal.

With both my AP and CB ( both wrt310n's) set at 70Mw - I am getting the best signal strength I have ever seen as well as the best SNR and signal numbers I have ever seen with this device. The units are running slightly warmer (to the touch) but I dont see cause for concern here.

My guess is the radio is now able to generate a clean signal (no clipping or distortion) at the higher settings.

Another note: The stock PSU that came with the WRT310N was 1.0A

At this point I would highly reccomend to anyone to try a better power supply

I'm going to give this a try. I actually have a PS with these exact specs that came with one of my old Via MiniITX boxes. Hopefully I don't get any dropouts Smile I'll let you all know!

Update:

My WRT310N's have been up 2 1/2 days now with the new power supplies and the increased transmit power.

NO ISSUES at all - signal has been rock solid, no drops. Wireless signal looks real nice on the graphs. No heat issues at all.

Has anyone tried a new PS on a system that had been randomly dropping wireless or rebooting??
phusion1337
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 15:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had replaced the PS last night with a 5 amp PS. The signal overall seemed a bit better. Unfortunately when I woke up this morning, I was unable to ping my main router/AP, or the internet.

When I looked on my 310n RB's status page it said I still had a signal, but was unable to ping my gateway :(

This was using SP1 by the way. I had thought these problems were non existent in SP1 but it seems I was wrong. I'm going to put a SP2 build back sometime later today and see if the new PS, in conjunction with this offers better results with staying online.

I have an alternate 310n I'm not using at the moment that I will also try just to see if it's the unit itself.

dellsweig
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 15:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
phusion1337 wrote:
I had replaced the PS last night with a 5 amp PS. The signal overall seemed a bit better. Unfortunately when I woke up this morning, I was unable to ping my main router/AP, or the internet.

When I looked on my 310n RB's status page it said I still had a signal, but was unable to ping my gateway :(

This was using SP1 by the way. I had thought these problems were non existent in SP1 but it seems I was wrong. I'm going to put a SP2 build back sometime later today and see if the new PS, in conjunction with this offers better results with staying online.

I have an alternate 310n I'm not using at the moment that I will also try just to see if it's the unit itself.

Apples to apples is a good test.

Most folks on this forum are using current sp2 builds - personally, I have the latest BS build running on all my boxes.
phusion1337
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
dellsweig wrote:
phusion1337 wrote:

Most folks on this forum are using current sp2 builds - personally, I have the latest BS build running on all my boxes.

Yes I was having a bit of trouble with the SP2 builds, so reverted to SP1. Going to try SP2 again with the new PS a bit later today. What build are you currently running? I'd like to try whatever you're having current success with. Last I tried on the 310 was BS 12318, which is the latest in the Peacock thread. Are you running something a bit more bleeding edge?

dellsweig
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 17:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
phusion1337 wrote:
dellsweig wrote:
phusion1337 wrote:

Yes I was having a bit of trouble with the SP2 builds, so reverted to SP1. Going to try SP2 again with the new PS a bit later today. What build are you currently running? I'd like to try whatever you're having current success with. Last I tried on the 310 was BS 12318, which is the latest in the Peacock thread. Are you running something a bit more bleeding edge?

here you go

ScreenHunter_01 Jul. 06 13.12.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  19.42 KB
 Viewed:  13492 Time(s)

ScreenHunter_01 Jul. 06 13.12.jpg

phusion1337
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 17:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Got it. Just upgraded. 30/30/30 before and after. One thing I forgot to ask, are you using TKIP? I'm using WPA2/TKIP. If I get a drop off with the upgrade I'm going to switch it with another unit that I have sitting idle.

dellsweig
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 17:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
phusion1337 wrote:
Got it. Just upgraded. 30/30/30 before and after. One thing I forgot to ask, are you using TKIP? I'm using WPA2/TKIP. If I get a drop off with the upgrade I'm going to switch it with another unit that I have sitting idle.

I am using wpa2 AES_TKIP
phusion1337
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Unfortunately I am seeing the same results with the 5A PS and SP2 (dropouts.) It's odd, the device is pingable, just not the gateway. If I reconnect in the GUI it's fine (but who wants to do that?)

I'm going to attempt to swap out the unit with a spare to see if that changes anything.

dellsweig
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
phusion1337 wrote:
Unfortunately I am seeing the same results with the 5A PS and SP2 (dropouts.) It's odd, the device is pingable, just not the gateway. If I reconnect in the GUI it's fine (but who wants to do that?)

I'm going to attempt to swap out the unit with a spare to see if that changes anything.

My test configuration is

WRT310N (AP) ----> WRT310n (CB) --> hardwired pc

I run N only, 40Mhz , wpa2 aes/tkip, 70Mw. I get rcok solid 270Mbps.

I ran a ping plotter graph from the pc to the AP - 24 hours no missed pings (ping every 10 seconds)

Both WRT310N's have the 5a power supply.

IPERF graphs and wireless monitor graphs show no drops in the wireless as well
jtrosky
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
@phusion - They are the EXACT same problems I had with my 310n in CB mode... I actually just quit using it and switched to a USB adapter instead and it works perfectly (and faster, believe it or not)! No more disconnects!

Linksys is REALLY going downhill lately... I was just over on the Linksys forums and it seems the linksys stock firmware has many issues as well, especially on the 310n and 610n.

I wish my D-Link DIR-825 router was supported by DD-WRT - that router is soooo much better than the 610n!

Hell, the linksys routers don't even support jumbo frames either...
Shoreguy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 18:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
FWIW, This should be a sticky...just below the peacock thread...I know its wiki'd, but the more exposure the better!

I just moved to a new house, and was having a bear of a time reaching my media center pc and ps3 at the other end of the house. 2 WRT310N's in AP and RB and I still fluctuated between 10-22% signal strength.

I purchased (2) 12V 5A powersupplies from page 1, http://www.12vadapters.com/adapter/power-supply/12v/5-amp-5a.html
Plugged 'em in, upped my tx to 100mW and am now enjoying solid, stable 68-77% signal strength from that $40 investment at the mcpc and ps3. I was seriously contemplating another 310N...

@ Radioman193 ...owe you a case of your favorite and you can kiss my wife (on the cheek) Laughing !

@ Dellsweig ...owe you a case of your favorite for pointing me to this thread Very Happy !

(now to cat6 the office so I can toss the 2nd 310N to the other end of the house and bump to N AP/Client)

Motorola SB6121

e4200v1
dellsweig
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 19:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Shoreguy wrote:
FWIW, This should be a sticky...just below the peacock thread...I know its wiki'd, but the more exposure the better!

I just moved to a new house, and was having a bear of a time reaching my media center pc and ps3 at the other end of the house. 2 WRT310N's in AP and RB and I still fluctuated between 10-22% signal strength.

I purchased (2) 12V 5A powersupplies from page 1, http://www.12vadapters.com/adapter/power-supply/12v/5-amp-5a.html
Plugged 'em in, upped my tx to 100mW and am now enjoying solid, stable 68-77% signal strength from that $40 investment at the mcpc and ps3. I was seriously contemplating another 310N...

@ Radioman193 ...owe you a case of your favorite and you can kiss my wife (on the cheek) Laughing !

@ Dellsweig ...owe you a case of your favorite for pointing me to this thread Very Happy !

(now to cat6 the office so I can toss the 2nd 310N to the other end of the house and bump to N AP/Client)

Shoreguy

Are you seeing any heat issues running the 310N's at 100Mw??
Deckard_9732
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 19:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Question What was your tX power setting prior and what were your Signal - Noise - SNR - Signal Quality before installing the new 5A power supply.

I purchased one and it does absolutely nothing for my signal. Matter of Fact is was worse Rolling Eyes

WZR1750DHP 31160 @1000 5 GHz Main AP AC
WZR1750DHP 31160 @1000 5 GHz CB AC
WZR1750DHP 31160 @1000 2.4 GHz WAP N-Only
dellsweig
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 19:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Deckard_9732 wrote:
Question What was your tX power setting prior and what were your Signal - Noise - SNR - Signal Quality before installing the new 5A power supply.

I purchased one and it does absolutely nothing for my signal. Matter of Fact is was worse Rolling Eyes

My personal tests with the 310N were done at 40Mw - before and after for the wireless and used IPERF to measure the WLAN to LAN transfers.

I was unable to boost my power to 70Mw with the stock supply as the signal just got too bad - with the new supply I have no issues at all running 70Mw
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 14, 15, 16  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 6 of 16
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: