WHR-G300N Dropping WAN Connection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Nich74656
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 15:06    Post subject: WHR-G300N Dropping WAN Connection Reply with quote
I have a Buffalo WHR-G300N flashed with DD-WRT and a 20Mbps Internet connection from Charter. I've tried the 3/03/09, 6/27/09 and 7/01/09 firmware builds for this router and each exhibits the same solitary problem.

When I boot my cable modem and then the router, the router syncs, grabs an IP address via DHCP and is in business. However, each night the router loses the connection, and the next morning -- although the wireless network is still accessible -- the Internet connection is lost with an IP reading of 0.0.0.0. Rebooting the cable modem and then the router corrects the problem, but then the next morning like clockwork: no Internet connection.

Until five days ago I used the Buffalo WHR-G54S with DD-WRT and it worked for two years without a hitch, so I know it's not an Internet provider problem. Other than this, all seems well.

Any ideas what could be wrong or how to correct this issue?

Thanks!
Sponsor
Alexq66
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 23:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Nich74656

I also have the same problem on my WHR-G300N,
I am having this problem for more than 3 weeks, i am new in this kind of stuff so i think it could be some setting i have wrong
My router was flashed with 12188 build that is the version recommended on the router database, in the last weeks i try many options on the router settings but i was unable to fix the problem ...

Today i went wild and flashed with the latest version 12427 (01/07/09), but in less than 2 hour after the flash again the same problem
I can connect to the router via wifi to 192.168.1.1 but unable to connect to my cable-modem or Internet,
Usually i can reestablish the connection switching the power off/on only on the router, i don't touch in the cable modem.

The frequency of the problem is variable, sometimes the router is up all day other times i have to reboot 4-5 times a day, witch is really annoying Sad
In your case Nich74656 seems that the router only loses the connection at night ?

If there is a way to bypass the problem like a watchdog that reboots automatically the router in case he lost the internet connection, that will be a big help until anyone knows a definitive solution

I share the internet conection via Wifi to 1 computer and 1 laptop and sometimes 1 Playstationportable.

Thanks for any help.
ffchung
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have Same Problem with Linksys WRT-310N.

It look like have package lost between Router and the WAN.

(When got the IP , and try to ping on Route to WAN Gateway, it about 90% packet lost)
Alexq66
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 18:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi ffchung.
My recent attempts to resolve this problem:

1- disable the firewall in the router, since then switching the power off/on router to reestablish the connection became much lower, maybe 2 times this past week. Recently i became to play online and notice that every 1 hour the connection was lost by ~4seconds and resume normality on is one, then i notice than this small break on connection happens every time that the counter in DD-WRT ControlPanel STATUS->WAN DHCP lease time reach 1hour and then reset to 2hour and starts conting again until reach 1 hour and break again and again ...

2- To try to solve this, i change the setting in DD-WRT ControlPanel SETUP->BASIC SETUPQ Wan Connection Type to Static IP and solve the cyclic one hour thing.

I cant say for sure that now my conection is 100%, this morning i have one break, but could be some glitch on my internet provider.
But is way much better

NOTE - I am a beginner/enthusiast i have very little understanding of this all thing, dont say go google it i already do that, i do the best i now, i try many others things but all of them make my scenario worst so i don't write them, i am sharing my experience so others can benefit from it.

If anyone want to help don't hesitate i will thanks any help i can get.
DoesItMatter
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
What types of internet services are you all running?

Are you all on cable internet?

You could try leaving your cablemodem unplugged for about 20-30 mins to completely blank it.

Then try again and see if the connection stays.

Otherwise, call you internet provider and have them flush the MAC address cache.

your ISP does store prior MAC used IP addresses so that they can track you if they have to ;)

Have them flush it, explain you have a new router that is having trouble connecting and getting a valid IP address.

Also tell them hooking up directly to the modem does not assign you an IP <<-- that forces them to flush the MAC address cache.

Linksys EA8500 - OpenWRT IPQ806x Trunk R16375 5.4 Kernel

TP-Link Archer C7 V3 - OpenWRT Build R16290 5.4 Kernel
Linksys E3000 - FreshTomato Build MIPSR2 2021.2
Alexq66
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi DoesItMatter, thanks for the reply.

I have cable, i already try leaving the cable-modem off all night, and power on in the other day but no changes.

About flush the MAC address cache i will give it a try, thanks for this tip. 8)

But now recently seems that when i lost the connection, she doesn't resume connection automatically like before,
Then to fix it, i change back the 'STATIC IP' to 'Automatic Configuration - DHCP' and wait until internet is working again, then i go to DD-WRT ControlPanel STATUS->WAN and take note of all this numbers IP,Subnet,Gateway,Dns1,Dns2,Dns3, then i go again to DD-WRT ControlPanel SETUP->BASIC SETUPQ Wan Connection Type and change to STATIC IP and enter the numbers that i take note before and that solve it, for today i guess,

Maybe the break of connection have something to do with the IP numbers, i notice that there's a change in IP Address from xxx.xxx.209.73 to xxx.xxx.211.2 (in the x's there is the same number, i don't write the full number because some hacker can use it to F***Up my computer, and i don't need any help in that i alone can F***UP the computer very well Sad )

Maybe if i chose another type of conection that was no need of that numbers ?
In the comboBox i have to choose from:
Disable, Static IP, Automatic Configuration - DHCP, PPPoE, PPTP, L2TP, HeartBeat Signal.

My Cable-modem as conected to Router like:

CableTv |----------------| LanCable |-------| Wi-fi |-----|
-------->|Cable-modem|----------->|Router|.,)) )).| PC |
CableTv |----------------| LanCable |-------| Wi-fi |-----|

My Cable-modem is: ARRIS Touchstone Telephony Modem
My Router is: Buffalo WHR-G300N with DD-WRT v24-sp2 build 12427 (maybe try new build ?)

Any guess ?Confused:

Thanks for any help.
DoesItMatter
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have the exact same Arris telephony modem.

When you unplug the modem, you also take out the battery on the bottom, right?

If you don't remove the battery, the modem retains all settings.

It almost sounds like you need to call your cable modem provide and let them know you're having trouble getting an IP address.

Let them know you powered off the device, pulled out the battery, and let it sit for about an hour while you ate dinner, etc, make up a story.

Then say you plugged the computer directly into the cable modem, but its still having trouble assigning it an IP address.

So... try this

1) unplug any ethernet cables from the Arris

2) unplug the power from the Arris

3) Remove the battery from the bottom of the Arris.

4) Leave it off for about 15 minutes, just to make sure it completely blanks it

5) plug the arris back in, and then put the battery back into the bottom.

6) give the arris about 5 minutes to download a fresh config file from cable provider

7) hookup your WHR-G300N router and see how stable it is

----------

I've just recently upgraded to Brainslayers Build 12533 for the WHR-G300N - its supposed to fix the vulnerability listed on front page - recommended upgrade!

Linksys EA8500 - OpenWRT IPQ806x Trunk R16375 5.4 Kernel

TP-Link Archer C7 V3 - OpenWRT Build R16290 5.4 Kernel
Linksys E3000 - FreshTomato Build MIPSR2 2021.2
Alexq66
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Battery Shocked ,Oops well that explain that green light Bellow the letters BATTERY, when i pull the power cord.

Many thanks DoesItMatter i will try this tonight after my brother go to sleep (he is some kind of addicted on Messenger and i don't have dead wishes)

Thanks DoesItMatter Very Happy now i am seeing some new hope.

You know my Computer is all PnP, i Plug everything hit the power button aNd Pray that will work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: