Unbricking WRT54G - Bricked Through Web Interface

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
teprac
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 19:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0

I actually copied and pasted the entire link and found your instructions. (I tried to remove the picture I uploaded)

It looks like the same instructions I've been following. As I stated, I'm on a learning curve and that could be the problem.

Also, the v24 micro_generic you recommended, is that the build you recommend for Client and Repeater Bridge Mode?

Thanks.
Sponsor
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 20:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
teprac wrote:
redhawk0

Also, the v24 micro_generic you recommended, is that the build you recommend for Client and Repeater Bridge Mode?

Thanks.

Yes....Client and Repeater are both available in all V24 builds. The driver for V24 allowed the addition of Repeater modes.

So you can run Client, Client Bridge, Repeater, and Repeater Bridge modes with V24....and is known working in the build I linked you to.

Did you ever have dd-wrt running...or did you brick it right from the start with the prep/killer files?

If you had dd-wrt running...then you can just follow the upgrade procedure and load a new build directly through the web gui...the prep/killer is a one time thing.

See the peacock thread (top of the forum) for proper flashing procedure.

redhawk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0

Yes I do have dd-wrt installed on all three routers I bricked.

I'm running build eko/V24_TNG/svn11296 on them now for the Client, Client Bridge, Repeater, and Repeater Bridge modes.

Is there an advantage with the eko-BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2.07-21-09-r12533_dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic build you recommended over the eko/V24_TNG/svn11296 build I'm running now?

Thanks.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 23:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
teprac wrote:
Is there an advantage with the eko-BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2.07-21-09-r12533_dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic build you recommended over the eko/V24_TNG/svn11296 build I'm running now?

Thanks.

One important advantage is that it fixes the exploit without the need for a separate script. These new builds have worked well. 11296 has good depth of testing and is still a good build for getting things going on/understanding configuration, but there really is no reason to not use the latest builds that I have seen.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
teprac
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf & redhawk0

You both have been extremely helpful.

Thank you. Very Happy Very Happy
bukva j
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow it started on, Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:06 pm and still is helping people in the forum. This is what makes a good post where people keep coming back to it and solving their issues.
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Another question for you guys...

The eko-BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2.07-21-09-r12533_dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic build is working well for the Client Bridge/Repeater Bridge, however I noticed there is a newer build.

Do you recommend I upgrade to the 12548 build?

Thanks.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 16:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
No need to. There are only 15 changes between those builds. If it's working, don't upgrade - the risk isn't worth the reward.

I do like the 12548 build though. But I did really Brick my router doing that upgrade! Wink (My fault...build is good)

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
teprac
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf

I like the rule if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I read the peacock thread about the exploits and became concerned, but it is working great so I thought I would ask.

Thank you very much for your help Very Happy Very Happy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: