Linksys 300N - Bricked due to no power cycle [Solved]

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:53    Post subject: Linksys 300N - Bricked due to no power cycle [Solved] Reply with quote
Copied from the 12548 build thread:

Put newd_mini.bin on my Linksys 300N. Did a hard reset prior. Loaded the build using the webgui. Waited until I got the password page. Saw that 12548 was showing at the top. Went in and changed the password. Did my second hard reset and the lights are now flashing. Ping response is a timeout, hardware error. Seems to be cycling. No lights. The port that is plugged in, and then all the lights. But ping response is that this is bricked.

I have tried power cycling, another 30/30/30, a 60/60/60...nothing.

I will start a new thread if I can't get it up.

The build did install. I saw 12548 on the webgui.

And yes, DHC....I'm heading to note 6 now.

I have tried power cycling...no ttle ping response. I am getting a Destination host unreachable error.

Lights continue to flash in a sequence. The LAN port I am plugged into is lit, and changes when I change the cable.

I have changed computers, changed cables, and disabled the firewall and security. Gotta lookup those restore mode tricks now.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."

Last edited by Murrkf on Thu Jul 30, 2009 19:31; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tried all the recovery methods. I cannot get the cycle to stop, even when I push the reset button.

Lan light that is plugged in stays lit, alone for 12 seconds. Then ALL the lights come on and the power light flashes three times, then the lan lighte relights and the power light flashes once. 12 seconds of the lan light again.

This router appears bricked.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
gosox
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you hold the reset button, unplug the power for 30, and plug back in?
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
gosox wrote:

Yup. I have hard reset it, power cycled it, 60/60/60 reset it. Held the reset and plugged it in for 5, plugged it in for 2 and held the reset for 5, tried with lan cables in, without them in, different computers, different cables, I get nothing but the same light repeating. It recognizes whatever port I plug it into, but still just redoes its thing over and over. I have it apart now....think I might be able to wire in the jtag connection....

phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
gosox wrote:

lol? Laughing

Sounds like it's time for jtag. Was it a NEWD2 build?

DHC_DarkShadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
phuzi0n wrote:
Was it a NEWD2 build?

That's what I am wondering. Have you checked the file size of the mini.bin you used?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Looser... You forgot the power cycle before the last 30/30/30.. Dipstick Razz (unless you installed newd-2).. I thought newd-2 worked on a V1.1 Question

I don't care where you are from... This is funny Laughing (J/K.. it's not but at the same time, it is..)

I'm kinda suprised you posted this one.. You must have known I'd be all over you.. Razz

Good flipping luck with that itty bitty jtag port.

You know the drill... erase nvram and see. I would just erase nvram & kernel and forget about "seeing".

I would use pogo pins on the jtag port or just lightly solder the wires to the holes. Don't bother installing a pin header.. If you decide to, install a socket (female) and not a pin header. Then, you can use solid cat5 wires to just slip into the socket.

BTW... You don't need resisters in your cable Razz

Good luck..

Last edited by barryware on Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:44; edited 3 times in total
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
I checked and double checked.....thought it might be newd_micro....but it was Newd_mini.bin.

This one, exactly:

dd-wrt.v24-12548_NEWD_mini.bin

I did get in initially, and the build was there.

I have tried, out of blind hope, tftp another build. No luck. The cable shows as connected, and then when all the lights go on, it is disconnected, and even using Barryware's method of 99 retries.

Good thing I keep a spare router under the bed....

Edit: I initially missed BW's abuse. I expected it, and I think he is right....no power cycle after the flash, prior to the 30-30-30. Can't believe that little mistake caused this big mess. It sure is hooped.

I think I will run small leads from that tiny port to a larger one. Will likely post pictures. BW, the jtag port is the one you can see without taking the screws out? Front left corner, next to the lights?

I don't want to take the screws out as I think I will toast the antenna leads if I try to remove the board.

barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
BW, the jtag port is the one you can see without taking the screws out? Front left corner, next to the lights?

I don't want to take the screws out as I think I will toast the antenna leads if I try to remove the board.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=50581

JP1 is the jtag port.. Pinout is the same as any other linksys. Pin 1 is the square pad (it is also marked pin 1 Razz )

Good luck & have fun... Nothing to it..

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
Good luck & have fun... Nothing to it..

I hates soldering..... Shocked

Thx. Will get to it in the am.

EDIT: HOLY CRAP! I thought JP3 was the "tiny header". There is a baby one too!

Wouldn't serial be easier???

barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
that would be jp2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 16:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Looks like I fixed this.....no solder!

Will post picts...

DHC_DarkShadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 16:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Pin Short? Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 16:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
DHC_DarkShadow wrote:
Pin Short? Laughing

Funny guy. Laughing

Pin shorting is like pimping your own daughter....you just don't DO that with things you love!

Will post picts. Still tftp the firmware on....

barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 16:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Now (assuming you recovered it), It would be good to see if you can duplicate it. Everything would need to be as it was though which might be impossible to do.

How dusty was your cable? Razz

Navigation

Jump to: