Setting Up WRT54G as Repeater

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
NetSpeedZ
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:18    Post subject: Setting Up WRT54G as Repeater Reply with quote
Followed the instructions from http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Universal_Wireless_Repeater to setup a WRT54G with DD-WRT v24-sp2 (01/01/09) micro - build 11296M NEWD Eko.

The WRT54G can attach to the host router and Internet access can be gained in Client Mode, however, as soon as the router is set to Repeater, the Wan IP disappears from the upper right hand corner and no internet access.

Is there a special setting required that the above link does not mention to get repeater mode to work correctly? Or is there a better tutorial that explains exactly what to do step by step - no guessing?
Sponsor
DHC_DarkShadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
You might have better luck here

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 15:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Appreciate the link. Followed all steps and I get the same exact result as the previously referenced link. I'm able to attach to the host router via Client Bridge Mode, however, as soon as I make the changes for Repeater Bridge mode, I can attach to the repeater SSID, however, no internet. Even setup static IP's, still nothing. I've found several tutorial's on line and none of them work in true wireless repeater mode. Only Client or Client Bridge mode works correctly.

DHC_DarkShadow wrote:
You might have better luck here

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge
HardReset
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 15:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
your supposed to do a hard reset and configure from scratch when switching modes like you are.

Did you?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 15:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try doing a Hard Reset and bypass CB mode and go straight to RB mode. Once you are done with all of your settings and hit Apply Settings. When it says Successful and router is rebooting, unplug ethernet from PC. Give the router 2 minutes then power cycle the router and let it boot up again. Now try to connect to the RB wirelessly. This is what I do hope it works flawlessly for you.
WRT54G v5 BS micro 14684(RB)

Last edited by Blazian on Fri Aug 07, 2009 15:35; edited 2 times in total
NetSpeedZ
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 15:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yep. Did that. Same result with the Client Mode working and the Repeater Mode not working.

HardReset wrote:
your supposed to do a hard reset and configure from scratch when switching modes like you are.

Did you?
HardReset
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Donno... I have a mix of clients, client bridges, and repeaters in my setup. Everything is working as I would expect. You gotta me missing something somewhere.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 15:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did every single step exactly has it reads; three times. Followed all troubleshooting steps. I would think that if I were doing something incorrect, I would not be able to get any of the modes to work properly. As stated before, Client Mode works every time. I even tested going to client mode to repeater mode without hard resetting. Works perfectly. I'm using it as I'm typing this entry.

HardReset wrote:
Donno... I have a mix of clients, client bridges, and repeaters in my setup. Everything is working as I would expect. You gotta me missing something somewhere.
Blazian
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 16:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Blazian wrote:
Try doing a Hard Reset and bypass CB mode and go straight to RB mode. Once you are done with all of your settings and hit Apply Settings. When it says Successful and router is rebooting, unplug ethernet from PC. Give the router 2 minutes then power cycle the router and let it boot up again. Now try to connect to the RB wirelessly. This is what I do hope it works flawlessly for you.

Did you try mine? And really make sure you are Disabling SPI Firewall and unchecking everything on the Security Tab except Filter Multicast.

WRT54G v5 BS micro 14684(RB)
NetSpeedZ
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 16:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the information, however, it didn't work. Your suggestion is missing some information, i.e., when do you perform this step; before or after defining the IP/Gateway and disabling the Firewall?

Although my avitar states I'm a DD-WRT novice, I'm a network engineer for wireless networks and not a novice at networking. There has to be some stupid little setting that needs to be defined or something that needs to be enabled/disabled. There is really no difference between Client mode and Repeater mode other then one has a wire and the other doesn't.

I'd even be willing to pay someone a reasonable fee to set a WRT54G router up as long as I can see exactly what needs to be done to get repeater mode to work properly.

Blazian wrote:
NetSpeedZ
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 16:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yep, tried your suggestion. Same exact result as I've been getting on and off for the past 6 months.

I never have problems attaching to a host router via Client Mode, however, as soon as switching to Repeater Mode, nothing except I'm able to attach to the SSID.

Blazian wrote:
Blazian wrote:

Did you try mine? And really make sure you are Disabling SPI Firewall and unchecking everything on the Security Tab except Filter Multicast.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 16:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
you need to do the "hard reset" before beginning the configuration. As said, when switching modes, you need to hard reset before you change the mode.

So if you are configuring a client and you see that it works and you now want the device to be a repeater, you must hard reset, then configure as a repeater. Don't configure as a client, then just switch modes to repeater..

Understand?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 16:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
And that's exactly what I've done (and actually written in a previous post to this thread), i.e., perform a hard reset and set up as a repeater. I get the same result.

Understand?

barryware wrote:
you need to do the "hard reset" before beginning the configuration. As said, when switching modes, you need to hard reset before you change the mode.

So if you are configuring a client and you see that it works and you now want the device to be a repeater, you must hard reset, then configure as a repeater. Don't configure as a client, then just switch modes to repeater..

Understand?
HardReset
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
which reperater mode are you exaclty trying to set up? The universal~ has been reported to be a bit flakey if I recall.

repeater
universal wireless repeater
repeater bridge

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers#Repeater_.2F_Repeater_Bridge

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've tried both Repeater and Repeater Bridge. Negative results on both.

The DD-WRT build I'm using does not have the 'universal wireless repeater' option.

HardReset wrote:
which reperater mode are you exaclty trying to set up? The universal~ has been reported to be a bit flakey if I recall.

repeater
universal wireless repeater
repeater bridge

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers#Repeater_.2F_Repeater_Bridge
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 3
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: