How to install DDWRT on WRT600N?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
rba12
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 0:47    Post subject: How to install DDWRT on WRT600N? Reply with quote
I've read the faq, the wiki, and the peacock thread. The wiki page for the WRT600N has a bad link for the firmware to use.

How do I install DDWRT on this unit? I downloaded the firmware for it from the main page (dd-wrt.v24_mini_generic.bin) but it gets to about 13% and the linksys firmware says "fail to upgrade firmware." I'm not sure what to do now and could use some help.
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 0:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Which, specific build (peacock note 7) did you try to flash?
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 0:56    Post subject: Re: How to install DDWRT on WRT600N? Reply with quote
rba12 wrote:
I've read the faq, the wiki, and the peacock thread. The wiki page for the WRT600N has a bad link for the firmware to use.

How do I install DDWRT on this unit? I downloaded the firmware for it from the main page (dd-wrt.v24_mini_generic.bin) but it gets to about 13% and the linksys firmware says "fail to upgrade firmware." I'm not sure what to do now and could use some help.

Carefully... No jtag on that device (yet).

Reset to defaults... Using the linksys gui, flash this build:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/08-31-09-r12759/broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_mini_wrt600n.bin

From there you can flash whatever you want.

AV & Firewall software off, reset the device to factory settings, flash through the gui, WAIT WAIT WAIT.. These big routers take a while to flash & boot.

Once booted...Wait an additional 5 minutes, Power cycle, hard reset (30/30/30), then configure.

Have fun..

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
Which, specific build (peacock note 7) did you try to flash?

Sorry for not mentioning that. I downloaded "v24 preSP2[Beta] Build 12533" which I found from going to http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv3/dd-wrt/hardware.html and typing in "wrt600", then clicking on the entry for 1.0.
rba12
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
@barryware: Thanks. I will try that and let you know the result.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
rba12 wrote:
@barryware: Thanks. I will try that and let you know the result.

Don't be scared.. Just don't do anything stupid.

Again....

AV & Firewall software off.. Reset the router to factory defaults.. Flash the build via the linksys gui..

WAIT, WAIT, WAIT.. The router will reboot, then wait another 5 minutes. (not necessary but better safe than sorry) then continue with the rest of the power cycles & resets..

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for your help. Those steps worked fine.

Do you know which build contains IPv6 support? I read the page at http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/IPv6_on_v24 and I'm using a newer build than the one he lists, but it doesn't have the option to enable radvd.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
rba12 wrote:
Thanks for your help. Those steps worked fine.

Do you know which build contains IPv6 support? I read the page at http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/IPv6_on_v24 and I'm using a newer build than the one he lists, but it doesn't have the option to enable radvd.

Donno exactly... According to this link on "file versions", anything above "mini" supports IPV6... However you gotta do all kinds of scripting which I think is ridiculous. Might have changed as of late but I don't think so...

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/What_is_DD-WRT%3F#File_Versions

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
One thing to note on the WRT600n, you may have to use tftp to get the firmware on it. (Just make sure the firmware is trailed for the 600n.) The reason I mention this, I finally got a friend of mine to convert over to DD-WRT, and using tftp was the only way he could get it on the router. Something squirrely about the WRT600n that does not always allow web gui upgrade.

Try Dropbox for syncing files - get 2.5gb online for free by signing up.

Read! Peacock thread
*PLEASE* upgrade PAST v24SP1 or no support.
churnd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 0:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware, thanks for those instructions. I just flashed my WRT600N and it worked great. It's good having an updated howto. If I had followed the older instructions on the wiki or tried to figure out the best way via the older forum posts, I would have surely bricked my router. Thanks again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: