WPA Assistant

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
CrazyHorse
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 20:04    Post subject: WPA Assistant Reply with quote
I've seen references to a program called WPA Assistant that provides WPA-PSK encryption services on Windows but the owners apparently have rolled it into their software. I'm trying to get hold of this program, it's called WPA Assistant. It's apparently a free download so I was wondering if anyone still has a copy of this program they could send to me? I'd be grateful.

Thank you.
Sponsor
JohnS@
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 20:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
ehm, afaik your device driver needs to support WPA encryption. a tool that can enable a pre XP OS to work with WPA would then be supplied by the manufacturer of your wlan device. if there is no WPA compatible driver around from the manufacturer or for the device in general from the chipset manufacturer you won't benefit from the tool because your device does not provide WPA encyption ...

correct me if I'm wrong but especially older 802.11b cards won't probably work with WPA because they do only support WEP encryption (firmware mods left aside).
rkloost
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 20:28    Post subject: Re: WPA Assistant Reply with quote
CrazyHorse wrote:
I've seen references to a program called WPA Assistant that provides WPA-PSK encryption services on Windows but the owners apparently have rolled it into their software. I'm trying to get hold of this program, it's called WPA Assistant. It's apparently a free download so I was wondering if anyone still has a copy of this program they could send to me? I'd be grateful.

Thank you.

Which OS are you running?

1xWRT54Gv2

In need of WRT54GS <= v3 EU/UK for firmware-debugging purposes. Buffalo's are welcome too! PM me if you have a spare one.
CrazyHorse
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 20:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
JohnS@ wrote:
ehm, afaik your device driver needs to support WPA encryption. a tool that can enable a pre XP OS to work with WPA would then be supplied by the manufacturer of your wlan device. if there is no WPA compatible driver around from the manufacturer or for the device in general from the chipset manufacturer you won't benefit from the tool because your device does not provide WPA encyption ...

correct me if I'm wrong but especially older 802.11b cards won't probably work with WPA because they do only support WEP encryption (firmware mods left aside).

Erm, my card *does* support WPA-PSK, I know this because it works under Windows XP, and on Windows 2000 with McAfee's wireless security tool, but I really want the WPA Assistant program. Someone must have a copy of this somewhere. It's free.
JohnS@
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
CrazyHorse wrote:
Someone must have a copy of this somewhere. It's free.

Sorry, but I have a hard time understanding what this has to do with the dd-wrt forum. If the tool is indeed free you should find it in google... or something like oldversions.com or the like. If it's not free (or not free anymore) this forum can't help you ... this is not a trading place for copyrighted software.
CrazyHorse
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
JohnS@ wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote:
Someone must have a copy of this somewhere. It's free.

Sorry, but I have a hard time understanding what this has to do with the dd-wrt forum. If the tool is indeed free you should find it in google... or something like oldversions.com or the like. If it's not free (or not free anymore) this forum can't help you ... this is not a trading place for copyrighted software.

What part of "free" did you not understand? And I thought, this being relevant to wireless networking, but yeah, I ought to have posted this elsewhere. Thank you.
tievolu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 21:43    Post subject: Re: WPA Assistant Reply with quote
CrazyHorse wrote:
I've seen references to a program called WPA Assistant that provides WPA-PSK encryption services on Windows but the owners apparently have rolled it into their software.

It's still free, even though it's been rolled into the other software. Download it from here, and read the instructions to install it in 'free' mode:

http://www.wirelesssecuritycorp.com/wsc/public/WPAAssistant.do
CrazyHorse
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:37    Post subject: Re: WPA Assistant Reply with quote
tievolu wrote:
It's still free, even though it's been rolled into the other software. Download it from here, and read the instructions to install it in 'free' mode:

http://www.wirelesssecuritycorp.com/wsc/public/WPAAssistant.do

Yeah, I know. It'd be nice to get hold of the orignal program though.
Eko
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Check PM.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: