WRT54G PowerSupply

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Search & Find, Sales & Offers
Goto page 1, 2  Next
JamesMore
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:55    Post subject: WRT54G PowerSupply Reply with quote
My WRT54G V1 CDF10 power supply just died and I wanted to know where I could get another one does any one have one that they are willing to part with in the US.
Sponsor
kjbuente
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
I bought a replacement power supply for several of my routers on eBay. I found that CCD/Security Cam power supplies are cheaper that ones that are for sale that are linksys brand. As long as you get the voltage, amps, and plug size the same it will work just fine.

A replacement 12V/0.5A linksys power supply was around $15+shipping

A CCD 12V/1A switching power supply was $5 shipped.

ALL FOR SALE!
JamesMore
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
I read lots of conflicting statements about the power supply some say that it has a DC/DC converter which converts the 12V down to 3.3V but looking on the pcb I dont see the AC1501-03 chip that is meant to convert and step down the power. but thanks for the hints I did see the the linksys power supplies where very expensive on ebay.
JamesMore
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 17:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
I could have kicked my self for not keeping the old power supply does any one know the plug/pin size.

I tried the power from a WAP54G and a WRT54G but both use 12volts and also the plug was too big.
kbraun
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Actually most linksys routers will run on anywhere from 5.5V to 18V, I have one running on a 6V power supply from a power screwdriver now until i can fix the OEM plug
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 15:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
JamesMore...if that is a WRT54G v1.0 unit...you need a 5V @ 2A supply for it...not 12V.

As a temporary solution...use an old PC power supply and tap into the 5V from it until you can get one off Ebay.

redhawk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am trying to find the power plug pin size I have tired just about every plug i have but most are too big so I am trying to find the correct size.

Thanks for the power rating I had pretty much read that was the case and also find a few people who had made the error of plugging in a 12v and frying the chips.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 14:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
JamesMore wrote:
I am trying to find the power plug pin size I have tired just about every plug i have but most are too big so I am trying to find the correct size.

Thanks for the power rating I had pretty much read that was the case and also find a few people who had made the error of plugging in a 12v and frying the chips.

Can you measure the old busted PS plug? I just replaced a PS on a 2 wire device. It was a much smaller plug then either a std linksys 12 volt, and even the 5V that are used on the wireless signal boosters.

They go by millimeters. Measure the outer barrel of the plug, then measure the inner hole, and the center pin on the device.

Until I got the 2wire PS, I snipped off the plug from the busted PS, and rigged it into a WSB PS using wire ties & hot glue so I would not have to do any cutting, splicing, or soldering cause it was only temporary till the replacement arrived.

I'll measure the 2wire plug when I get home & post the dimensions.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 19:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the hint I am kicking my self for not keeping the busted power supply my wife was on a clean up trip and wanted my junk gone Sad
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 19:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
JamesMore wrote:
Thanks for the hint I am kicking my self for not keeping the busted power supply my wife was on a clean up trip and wanted my junk gone Sad

I just thought of something.. If you beez 1/2 the ho that I am, you probably have some usb hubs either in your closet, or in service. Most if not all are 5V, 2A (500ma per usb port).

See if you have something that may fit.

I think the goal here is to figure out what size the plug is.. a 5V 2A ps isn't the problem.

If you find any plug that fits, you can then measure that plug.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's right I dont care about the voltage at the moment just looking for the correct plug size. Believe me I have tried about 40 plugs from phone charges to harddisk and usb caddies and nothing seems to fit. Will keep looking might just take it to the garage sales this weekend just to try and find some thing that fits.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'll measure that 2wire plug when I get home.. I am also told that a V1 plug is the same as the befw11-s4. I happen to have one of those in the closet. I'll measure that too.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 0:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
The 2wire plug measures 4.02mm (outside), 1.65mm inside.

You won't find a plug with those exact measurements. It would probably be a 4 x 1.5 or 4 x 1.75

Does that sound like it will fit your V1?

Maybe post in the broadcom forum.. I know there are V1 owners there. Possibly a dd-wrt brother will measure his plug.

BTW... The befw11-s4 even though 5V, fits the standard 12V plug of my other ls routers.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks barryware for all your time and help and testing

I did make a post to broadcom with out any luck, I try and find a plug this weekend at the garage sales other wise will look on ebay for a cheap non branded powersupply based on your info.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
I pm'd a guy that has a V1 is is sig and linked him to this thread. He seems like a good guy. I'll bet he'll measure his plug for you.

Navigation

Jump to: