Outdoor WRT54G Application

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
nickia
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 18:01    Post subject: Outdoor WRT54G Application Reply with quote
Hi,

I'm trying to setup an outdoor wifi receiving system to receive signal from 200m away. Currently I'm using a WRT54G as a repeater to receive the signal. I need to mount this router outdoor because it does not pick up any signal indoor due to the concrete wall. What I need now is to find a way to weatherproof this router under severe weather condition (-20 Celsius in Winter with Ice and Snow; +30 Celsius in Summer).

I've checked out NEMA enclosures but I'm not sure how it works. Do you I need to connect an external antenna to it? If yes, can someone point me to a place where I can purchase pre-finished antenna with cables? I bought a Yagi but couldn't get it to work.

Thanks.
Sponsor
nickia
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anyone?
socal87
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 22:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would strongly advise external antennas and a sealed enclosure. I'm sure there are plenty available. Routers don't play nice with water and ice...heat either, so it would need vents, maybe a fan. You want a repeater? You'll need two antennas. They don't need to be fancy, as you're only shooting 200m; you can use simple whips, it should work fine as long as there are no major obstructions.

>>>PEACOCK THREAD!<<<

I do NOT offer personal assistance.
Please do not PM me for help.

DaveMcLain
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 0:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
I placed a Linksys WAP54G inside of an outdoor enclosure in a similar setup for over a year without any trouble. I was sending a signal using a directional antenna and it worked very well. What I did was take the WAP along with me to Lowes' where I bought a plastic sealed outdoor electrical enclosure that fit it perfectly. I just drilled two holes one for the antenna wire and one for the cat 5 cable and sealed them with silicone. I powered it using a Linksys POE kit which worked great.

I was worried about it getting too hot in the summertime so for fun I took my wireless outdoor thermometer and placed it inside of the case. It never got more than a few degrees above ambient so all was well.

Mine was not in direct sun all day long but most of the day and that seemed to be the biggest factor temperature wise.
socal87
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
White glossy paint works wonders for temperature control, too.

That could work. Small plastic box, just drill holes...shit, you could stick the router's antennas (if it has external antennas) out the box through two holes and just seal it. Fairly clean, very simple, very easy, very cheap. You could use a damned Tupperware container.

>>>PEACOCK THREAD!<<<

dicksons
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
for several years we have run dozens of outdoor WRTs in keptel cg1000s http://www.yourbroadbandstore.com/product.php?pid=201838

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
dicksons wrote:
for several years we have run dozens of outdoor WRTs in keptel cg1000s http://www.yourbroadbandstore.com/product.php?pid=201838

7 bucks...Damn man, that's not bad. And they're lockable too.

>>>PEACOCK THREAD!<<<

nickia
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
If I use a plastic container, would it obstruct the wifi signal since I'm using the default antenna?
wouter
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Find a plastic box, with sealed cover that fits the router.
Mount the router with the backside / antenna side down, drill holes at the standard antenna locations and bring the antennas out through correct size cable glands (or simple rubber seals, or use silicone kit to seal it).
Mount the router such that a maximum length of antennas goes through the openings.
Add two additional cable seals at the bottom for the network cable and powersupply.
Cable seals at the bottom are for better watertightness.
Under not too cold situations the heat of the router and powersupply should be enough to keep everything within specs, in summer conditions it may get too warm inside (paint te box white and place in the shadow).

Wit a large enough plastic container you can even keep the antenna's inside.
Disturbance may be induced when you mount the box and router at a steel mast.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: