[SOLVED] Bountiful 1000mw Bricked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
djhowzer
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:51    Post subject: [SOLVED] Bountiful 1000mw Bricked Reply with quote
******!!WARNING!! ******

This thread is marked {solved} but is not intended to be a guide to unbrick your router. I did managed to unbrick mine, and I did document what I did to unbrick it, but I did not know at all the correct way to do it, and tried different methods to get back in, and that could cause a brick on a fresh install, or make it a bigger brick.

The flashing.txt file that I downloaded had different symbols fonts hence why the copy and past did not work.

I had most of my troubles with the load -r -b %{FREEMEMLO} ap61.rom command , and if you read my thread I suggest that you try another location to write the file to based off of a calculation, which is a very bad Idea, and is not correct,.. because doing that alone could brick your router even more if you write it in the wrong place. I only found this out when I did a fresh install on a different unit same model.

However if your router is in a recycle loop, this thread will show you how to get back to the redboot prompt. Once you get redboot back do not read anymore of this tread, and refer back to the flashing.txt

Most important Make sure you install redboot on the router before doing a reset. When you arrive to the prompt it will only be running a version of redboot in ram, and you will need to re flash redboot (ap61.rom) to the router so you will have permanent redboot access using the fis create redboot command -30000, only then will you be able to install dd-wrt, and break the reboot cycle.

Here is the original thread I created a few months back.

---------------------------------------------------

:cry: Hey there, after seeing that dd-wrt was available for this unit I could not wait to get it loaded. Kind of funny I found this out on the bountiful web sight (www.bountifulwifi.com) In there news section

I followed this link here
Code:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/down.php?path=downloads%2Fothers%2Feko%2FBrainSlayer-V24-preSP2%2F07-21-09-r12533%2Fbountiful-bwrg1000

Anyways long story short. I loaded the ap51.bin thro the firmware upgrade on the router, Which enabled me to get the redboot. Working. In telnet everything was working great until I got to this command

load -r -b %{FREEMEMLO} ap61.rom

This command in the read me confused me. You see I don't know telnet that great, but Have used it in the past once or twice, and worked my way thro it to get what I needed done.

By the way that command just how it looks does nothing in telnet but give you a error.

I could not tell if I needed the Brackets around the FREEMEMLO so I tried different combos with and with out the brackets and with and with out the %.

I got a invalid command error every time. This is where I should have stopped, but I thought I knew what I was doing. VERY BAD IDEA.

Then I did something stupid. I tried just typing load -r -b to see if that would generate some other kind of error to help me figure out the command structure better. Anyways It stayed there for ever acting like it was busy.

To make a already long story short my router now just reboots it self over and over. All the lights come on and flash, and the computer detects the router for a second then goes back to network cable unplugged. Then back again.

Sometimes I get a connected status ,but only for haft a second because the router keeps rebooting its self only a 5 to 8 second process. During this process the network lights on the pc only comes on for 2 seconds at a time every few seconds.

I have tried to telnet in and I get no response. I have tried a ping over and over, and the only response I get is hardware faler. Then host unreachable, or Time out.

I have even tried pinging it thro another router hoping it would account for the on off mode of the router, and the computer trying to keep up with network cable unplugged ect.

After all of this I can see that the only thing I can try is to jtag the unit. I have been searching this forum for hours trying to find some info on this unit, but not having any luck.

I have already taking the router apart, and it does appear to have a 12 PIN jtag port.

I really need some advice on how to build or where to buy the jtag cable, and If this unit can be unbricked. I spent $350 dollars on this unit, and I am still paying for it thro a lone.

Please Help

Last edited by djhowzer on Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:09; edited 3 times in total
Sponsor
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
add a serial ttl converter and give us a serial log. NO JTAG!
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for your quick reply Sash. It is going to take me some time to find a serial ttl converter. Kind of confused about how I am going to hook it up.

I am going to call all around town tomorrow and try to find one.

Any Idea about how to hook it up for the log ? I will give it my best shot at figuring it out while trying to read up on it, but might or might not need your help 18r on that.

I will be back,

Thanks
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
gimme a good pic of the pcb
&
RTFM/STFW
&

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 21:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sash I am having trouble trying to find that converter locally. Most of the computer shops around town are looking at me Like I am nuts. I am probably going to have to build one. Radio Shack is everywhere around this area.

By any chance do you know of any design I can use for this Router ? I have been searching on it and I am a bit confused if they are all the same, or not.

I have attached the picture that you have asked for, I hope it is not to big, but you said you wanted a good one. Please let me know if you want me to shrink it or not.

Thank You

Last edited by djhowzer on Wed Sep 23, 2009 0:32; edited 2 times in total
djhowzer
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 22:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thinking about buying this one off of ebay

Does any one know if I can use this one?

http://cgi.ebay.ph/PC-USB-Serial-to-RS232-Module-TTL-Converter-Adapter-NEW_W0QQitemZ270451081907QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_Networking_SM?hash=item3ef82402b3&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
Mordak
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 22:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
djhowzer wrote:
Thank you for your quick reply Sash. It is going to take me some time to find a serial ttl converter. Kind of confused about how I am going to hook it up.

I am going to call all around town tomorrow and try to find one.

Any Idea about how to hook it up for the log ? I will give it my best shot at figuring it out while trying to read up on it, but might or might not need your help 18r on that.

I will be back,

Thanks
There are many serial to serial and usb to serial ttl convertors on eBay I just bought 2. Here's the one's I bought: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360171719350 The usb ones work on Windows and Linux and probably MAC too but I can't confirm.

ASUS AC3200
Linksys WRT32X
Linksys WRT3200 ACM
djhowzer
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 0:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mordak thank you for the link. I was thinking about buying that one already but was not shure it would work or not.

I have placed my order, but looks like it is comeing form Hong Kong, so lol looks like I want have it for anoother month.

Sash I was wondering about the picture I uploaded to this thread. By anychance do you want me to take a picture from the bottom of the board to ? I cant see anything that gives me a clue to where to hook up the cables to.

In order for me to see I have to take it off of the router caseing, which is no big deal, but Dont want to if its not necessary. Thats your call if you want me to. It will be no problem.

Thanks again. Looking forward to seeing what we can do with this brick.
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
hmm..i dont see any serial header.
i think the header u see is jtag. but i will do some research

&
RTFM/STFW
&

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 16:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sash, thats to bad I ordered the other, my friend that I just talked to on the phone said he had a Jtag device he had to use to repair an old sat stb box. I don't know anything about it , but he is giving it to me today. When I get it I will have more info on it.

I will send a picture of it when I have it.

Again I cant stress how much I appreciat your help on this.
djhowzer
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok I am back, and I have the jtag cable, but I am not sure if It will work or not with this unit. My friend told me he use to use it for fixing sat boxes back in the day, and that it is a jtag cable.

It looks like it would work. Not to sure if it has the proper pin out or not. I don't think we need the adapter that came with it. Just the ribbon going to the computer.

I have also attached pictures of the bottom of the unit, and I overlapped the pictures together that way it would be easer to trace the circuit. Dont know if that will help or not, but its there.

From what I can tell there is only 2 leads coming form that Port. Looks like it is going to one of the chips, but dont we need like 4 to 6 for it to be used for flashing ?
djhowzer
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here are the pictures of the Jtag
djhowzer
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
just a few more

and here are the original pictures, you can zoom in on theses and see everything, but they are too big for the forum.

Code:
http://rapidshare.com/files/284304667/All_Pictures.zip.html
djhowzer
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have been doing some research my self, for a few hours now. I have Identified the chip on the board that thoes traces seem to be going to. Its a 25P32V6P Chip. I have tried finding the data sheets for it , but the only link I can find is this.

http://www.alldatasheet.com/view.jsp?Searchword=25P32V6P

I am a littel confused, on why I cant find a match with just thoes numbers. If I Google 25P32V6P I can find many places to buy it, but there links for the data sheets goes back to that. I was hopeing I could find a pin lay out of this chip. I dont want to guess.

It was kind of hard for me to read the numbers off of it even with a magnifying glass.

Appearers to be ST
25P32VP
992J6v5
MYS529

Was wondering if anyone has ever flashed this chip, or know where I can find the right data sheet match up the pins for it.

From what I can guess (and guessing is not good for me) all of thoes chips in that list are flashed via serial.
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 13:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
u should stay away from jtaging cause u even dont know which area to flash to not to delet inportant stuff.

i even dont know which bootloader is running and if its has an emergency/recovery process

&
RTFM/STFW
&

Navigation

Jump to: