New kernel - 2.6 - What is it all about?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
greekstile
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 13:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just a suggestion, but perhaps a sticky thread about K26, or an addition to the peacock thread would be helpful.
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 13:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
greekstile wrote:
What's with all the conservatism around here? It's almost discouraging the process. We are all basically crash test dummies. We all take a calculated risk evertime we flash ANY build. That's how progress is made.

I'm not encouraging anyone to blindly flash their router. Especially older routers. What's the point? You won't gain anything with the 2.6 kernel. We each have different levels of copetency and understanding. You shouldn't flash any of these test builds, let alone highly experimental builds, if you aren't willing to take the associated risks.

My router, the 600N, is basically the same as the 610N. Aside from the RAM and different radio. If K26 is close to being supported on that router, the 600N should be close as well.

I could certainly hook up a serial console to my 600N if something went wrong. It's not my first time around the block. Having said that, I'm probably going to wait until we get the green light from Eko. I just don't have the time to experiment.

Anyway, you guys should lighten up, just a bit. As the Joker said, "Why so serious?"

Wink

I agree...however, there has been countless hours spent with the "less" competent individuals who brick there routers only because warnings were not posted clearly enough.

I'm not trying to squash progress either...and the more adventurist (pioneers) will be trying to flash the K26 on anything that has LED's anyway. I am not worried about them...they generally already know how to recover.

But its the other 20+ people that try it...one right after the other then posts on the forum whining about a bricked router that eats up all our forum resources for days trying to debrick them due to their ignorance in the matter...and ours for not supplying the warnings properly.

That's all I am trying to accomplish here...just trying to get the proper warnings out to the world.

redhawk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 13:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
greekstile wrote:
Just a suggestion, but perhaps a sticky thread about K26, or an addition to the peacock thread would be helpful.

I added it as a sticky for now....first post indicates to check page 3/4 for these warnings.

redhawk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 16:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
This slashdot developers article and the comments following are informative in relationship to the various differences in the 2.4 vs 2.6 linux kernel in embedded devices.

BrainSlayer Builds

DD-WRT Changelog RSS Feed
greekstile
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 16:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
autobot wrote:
This slashdot developers article and the comments following are informative in relationship to the various differences in the 2.4 vs 2.6 linux kernel in embedded devices.

Nice. There is some good info in those posts. It's pretty obvious, in reading through the posts, that one of the biggest benefits of 2.6 kernel is going to be better overall performance. It's just faster then the 2.4 kernel.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 19:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Also, if config_no_hz is enabled, power usage will go down. Not like routers are big power suckers, but I bet we could see a 1 to 2 watt drop.
elzar
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's about time... I really would appreciate a 2.6 kernel build of DD-WRT. I like to use my 610N as a network-fileserver. But all my HDs are crypted with Truecrypt and are using a NTFS filesystem.

Both "features" need the 2.6 kernel Smile
devil-strike
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have the 2,6 Kernel running on my WRT320N and must say is very stable now for now.

the only minor thing is that the lan to lan is littebit slower than original (2.4 kernel)linksys firmware
now i get avr: 59,893.78 KBps on dd-wrt this whas 79,633.88 KBps on linksys firmware.

Linksys E3200
SilverstarX
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is 2.6 kernel really required for NTFS support?

Are there any builds for the WL520GU? I wasn't able to find one.
autobot
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 0:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
SilverstarX wrote:

No and no. I'm not sure how good ntfs works but there are modules for it floating around in the forum.

BrainSlayer Builds

SilverstarX
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
autobot wrote:
SilverstarX wrote:

No and no. I'm not sure how good ntfs works but there are modules for it floating around in the forum.

Ok, thank you.
If you answer would have been "yes", I ask why here is nowhere mentioned that 2.6 is needed.

Well, on saturday I get the 520GU, which I should set up for my brother for printer and hdd sharing, so I'll test it.
elzar
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
read support shouldn't be a problem at all, but writing on ntfs devices could cause datacorruption or probably could crash the whole NTFS filesystem. the 2.6 kernel solved a lot problems with ntfs, at least thats what I "know" (or believe). I'm no "linux-guru", so correct me if I'm wrong, but accessing NTFS from Linux was very complicated for a long time..
SilverstarX
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
In the worst case I'll tell my brother he'll have to format his hdd to ext3, not my problem Very Happy
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 21:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
elzar wrote:
read support shouldn't be a problem at all, but writing on ntfs devices could cause datacorruption or probably could crash the whole NTFS filesystem. the 2.6 kernel solved a lot problems with ntfs, at least thats what I "know" (or believe). I'm no "linux-guru", so correct me if I'm wrong, but accessing NTFS from Linux was very complicated for a long time..

Yeah that's how I recall the history of the NTFS driver. In 2.4 it was very buggy and was only reliable at reading, then much later in k2.6 it got improved so much that distros now include it by default. I don't know if the improvements were ever backported to k2.4 though.

autobot
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had corruption on the old 2.4 kernels a few times writing to ntfs back in the day, I'm sure there are backports in the ntfs source in todays 2.4 from 2.6 but word to the wise is don't write. The ntfs filesystem has changed some over the years too so writing to a windows partition is a definite no no, if you needed to write to ntfs make sure and format it with something like gparted in linux. Don't format your windows partition with any linux software as windows doesn't like this.

BrainSlayer Builds

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 7
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: