DD-WRT: Wireless extender aka repeater

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
IgD
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 23:09    Post subject: DD-WRT: Wireless extender aka repeater Reply with quote
Hi there, my wireless network is just out of range. I have two Linksys WRT54G wireless routers. The first is connected to the internet via broadband connection. I installed DD-WRT on the second wireless router and would like to configure it as a wireless extender/repeater. This way I could connect to the extender and have it relay me to the main router.

Is there a definitive guide explaining how to do this? I don't see anything in the Wiki how to do it.

Thanks!
Sponsor
olmari
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 23:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
look for WDS, that is what you want. http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Configuration_HOWTOs#HOWTOs_for_basic_configuration_scenarios
IgD
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
The guide says you need to go into Wiress config -> WDS and add put each other's MAC into the table of the other router.

My main router uses the Linksys firmware. My client router is using DD-WRT. Is this step really necessary? Can I just connect the client to the server router without modifying the server router's configuration?
olmari
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, you could use your router as "Client Bridged mode" or "Client mode", but then you can't use your router as WLAN AP anymore, only wired ports...

Now I'm not sure about exact configuration of WDS as I don't use one, but I can imagine that you need to at least put your main router MAC address to clients dd-wrt WDS page (LAN mode). But why not putting DD-WRT onto main router also?
gergo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:52    Post subject: Re: DD-WRT: Wireless extender aka repeater Reply with quote
IgD wrote:
Hi there, my wireless network is just out of range. I have two Linksys WRT54G wireless routers. The first is connected to the internet via broadband connection. I installed DD-WRT on the second wireless router and would like to configure it as a wireless extender/repeater. This way I could connect to the extender and have it relay me to the main router.

Is there a definitive guide explaining how to do this? I don't see anything in the Wiki how to do it.

Thanks!

Or use v24, and it has a wireless repeater mode!

mikesa
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:57    Post subject: repeater setup Reply with quote
I've got 3 wrt54g's, one connected to broadband and 2 set up as repeaters. I've got a ver 2.2 and a ver 3 running dd-wrt v24, and a wrt54g ver5 running dd-wrt ver23 sp2 micro. The wrt54g ver2.2, (wlan 192.168.1.1), as my main with the other 2 as repeaters (wlanrepeater 192.168.1.2 and wlanrepeater2 192.168.1.3). It was simple and seemless using WDS with the Wireless MAC addresses of the 2 repeaters registered in the main router and the Wireless MAC of the main registered in each of the 2 repeaters. They are all setup as AP's and the main router set up as a DHCP Server and the 2 repeaters are DHCP Forwarders with the DHCP server being 192.168.1.1. I've got each wrt54g xmitting at 90mW. After setting them all up and successfully communicating and passing IPs. I installed 128 bit WEP. This has been working great for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: