Linksys WRE54G V1 Bricked?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
davidhtn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 23:07    Post subject: Linksys WRE54G V1 Bricked? Reply with quote
I have a Linksys WRE54G version 1, this is the wireless expander without a ethernet port.

It was running ddwrt micro just fine, and last week I decided it would be a good idea to update to the newest build.

in doing this, it has caused me to no longer be able to communicate with the unit.

I have attempted to do a hard reset about 50 times with no luck, holding the reset button 30 seconds, unplugging, continuing to hold reset 30 seconds, plugging in, continuing to hold reset 30 seconds, then letting it breath. it is not resetting the unit.

It still broadcasts the SSID set before the upgrade attempt, and I can connect to it, only to be disconnected, reconnected, then disconnected again, quickly.

I can not ping the routers ip's

it is in repeater mode, with a static ip set to 192.168.1.2 and another ip of 10.0.0.1 set to repeat my wifi network.

(this did work great before updating)

Also dhcp is no longer running, so i have had to manually set the ip's to attempt to ping, both on the router it is trying to repeat and when connected to it so briefly.

if you have any ideas, please let me know.
otherwise this is a $30 paperweight.
Sponsor
davidhtn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:29    Post subject: well? Reply with quote
anyone at all have any ideas?
autobot
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can you telnet into the wap?

BrainSlayer Builds

DD-WRT Changelog RSS Feed
davidhtn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can't stay connected to the wireless link long enough to do anything.
im not sure if wpa2 being enabled is part of the issue.

i just wish i could get it to really reset.
autobot
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is no magic answer here, looks as though your going to have to open it up and see about a serial or jtag connection.

BrainSlayer Builds

DD-WRT Changelog RSS Feed
banboo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 13:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
i have just done the same , have you recovered your WRE54g yet ?
tech_fox
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 13:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sad
Add another one to the list!!
I was flashing a WRE54G V1 and followed all the instructions. All was well until I flashed the latest DD-WRT listed in the database. Now I have a unit with the link light permanently blue (from power up) and no wireless signal what so ever. I have tried all sorts of reset options but nothing seems to change - no lights flicker and no wireless activity. With no wireless I cannot talk to it at all. The only answer would appear to be some sort of JTAG solution. Did anybody manage this.

The only conclusion I have made so far is DO NOT FLASH WITH THE DD-WRT VERSION LISTED IN THE DATABASE.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
jrble819
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
tech_fox wrote:
Sad
Add another one to the list!!
I was flashing a WRE54G V1 and followed all the instructions. All was well until I flashed the latest DD-WRT listed in the database. Now I have a unit with the link light permanently blue (from power up) and no wireless signal what so ever. I have tried all sorts of reset options but nothing seems to change - no lights flicker and no wireless activity. With no wireless I cannot talk to it at all. The only answer would appear to be some sort of JTAG solution. Did anybody manage this.

The only conclusion I have made so far is DO NOT FLASH WITH THE DD-WRT VERSION LISTED IN THE DATABASE.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have the same exact problem! Solid link light with no activity and no wifi and no access. Anyone solve this problem?!?
desiromeo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
looks like mine fell for the same trap....upgraded mine to the one recommended in the database...both lights stay on...crap...how can we fix this?
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am still investigating but so far things do not look promising. It is interesting you have two lights stuck on where as I and jrble819 only have one. I am not sure if this tells us anything.

desiromeo - do you still have a wireless signal?
desiromeo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 15:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Actually guys the link light stays on and the activity lights blinks. I am able to connect to the network and reach the web gui. Actually i think i might have gotten lucky and its not bricked...just havent checked if its repeating cuz i havent set it up as a repeater yet...

Heres a pic of the firmware im running...

Screen shot 2011-01-14 at 10.31.14 AM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  101.83 KB
 Viewed:  22905 Time(s)

Screen shot 2011-01-14 at 10.31.14 AM.png

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 17:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm jealous!

Lucky you. It would appear to have flashed OK. The version number is the latest 14896 build although the dates don't seem to correspond.

So it would appear that the latest build is OK to flash, so what is going wrong for the rest of us?

What did you do in terms of reset sequences? Was it the 30/30/30 one or something different?
desiromeo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 19:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Actually i upgraded to the new firmware right after i had done the initial 2 flashes. Believe it or not i actually did not do the 30/30/30 reset after putting on the first proper firmware and just went straight to the firmware upgrade to upgrade to the latest firmware...followed the rest of the steps...
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 20:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just so I am clear.

Did you do any form of reset after flashing with the latest Firmware?
desiromeo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 0:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
NO i did not and No type of reset before the flash to the latest firmware either...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: