UnBrick a WRT54G V6...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
nachotaco
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 22:24    Post subject: UnBrick a WRT54G V6... Reply with quote
Hello, I am new to the forum and was having trouble finding what I needed...so I decided to ask.

I have a WRT54G V6 that I bricked last night. I installed the micro version and decided that I did not like it and was reverting back to the VXWorks and bricked it during the process. Power light blinks and all other lights are solid... Crying or Very sad

I was going to try the 15 and 16 pin ground or just the 16 pin ground, but the problem is that unlike the tutorials my router does not have the corner pins numbered (1, 24,25, 48 ) so I don't know which is which. I also dont want to guess and fry the router.

I no one can help, I guess I will have to find someone to JTAG it or do it myself.

Thanks in advance
Sponsor
teku2k
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:10    Post subject: This might help... Reply with quote
This is from a wrt54gs v4 that I rescued from the trash. It should be more or less the same on yours.

From right to left... make contact between points 15 & 16 and power on... do this while pinging your router... if it works... yor will see the pings responding.

by the way... all the bricked routers I have seen... they just flash the power led. Never seen all leds on. But maybe it is because I work with GS not the G's...

debrick.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.8 MB
 Viewed:  23568 Time(s)

debrick.JPG

nachotaco
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 13:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well they are different from what I have seen. I have opened up a V5 G and the board was almost twice as big. This V6 is small and does not have the numbers on the outside of the flash chip as the rest of the boards do.

The pic you posted has the numbers around it and that is how you know which pins to jump. Mine does not, so I don't even know which one is pin 1 so I can start counting.
anectine17
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 13:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good......then you can't do that damn, nasty, worthless pin shorting "trick" !! Find another way. Build or buy a JTAG cable...find someone to do it for you......sell the router and put the $$ toward a new one. But whatever you do, don't go poking around in there and shorting pins!! Those that recommend it are irresponsible in my opinion. Sure....you'll fix one occasionally doing it, but more often than not the router is ruined permanently!! If you don't outright fry the flash chip, you'll mash the pins up beyond repair. Good luck with it!

Alden

Linksys E2000 w/15200 "Big"
Linksys WRT54G v.4
La Fonera 2100, fan-cooled
Linksys WRT54G v.3.1
Linksys WRT54G v.1.1
Linksys WRT54GS v.1
2x Linksys WRT54G v.2.2

Peacock Thread - READ THOROUGHLY
teku2k
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 13:59    Post subject: no need to see numbers...just count from right to left. Reply with quote
if yous doesn't have any numbers... don't worry...is the same. It's always 1 thru 24 from right to left... 24,23,22,21,20,19...etc... if you take a close look at the picture you can see that each 5 points you have a white mark on the board. Yours might might have the white marks... if you are still lost...send me a picture. I will mark the 2 points for you and send it back. teku2k@gmail.com
nachotaco
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well I found on another thread that the #1 pin has a circle next to it. I found the circle and went from there to try to ground pin 16 and then 15 +16 with no luck. My PC still does not detect anything at all is connected to my network card. Ping does not responde either.

There are also no white marks marking every 5 pins.

I also noticed that on the photo above, there is also a white circle on there, but it marks the corner with pin #24...

Anyone have any ideas?
Seth7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
peel the yellow sticker off... what flash chip is it??

look it up on alldatasheet . com

nachotaco
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Had time tonight to try it again. Sad Still no luck

I pulled the sticker back but the glue on it blured the numbers out.

There is a big M on it though. There are three rows starting with 29L, 206, and TAI respectively.

I think I will buy a new one in a few weeks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: