HOWTO: Flashing WHR-G300N

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
digixmax
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 23:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:

I flashed mine by tftp according, exactly to the updated wiki instructions, including using 12672. My MAC address in sysinfo matches the one on my label and ends in 24.

It appears that the Wireless MAC addresses are all unique, but the LAN and WAN MAC addresses are not.

Mine:
LAN: 00:1D:73:11:11:12
WAN: 00:1D:73:11:11:13
WiFi: 00:1D:73:D1:14:C8

What is perhaps more mystifying is that my current WiFi MAC is same as originally came with the Buffalo FW and identified on the label, but my LAN and WAN MAC addresses are different from the original values as I had recorded (00:1D:73:11:11:12 and 00:1D:73:11:11:11 respectively for LAN and WAN)!

1x WHR-G300N v1
1x WRT300N v1.1
1x RT-N16
1x WNR3500L
Sponsor
DoesItMatter
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Adding this to the thread sticky because it seems people have had issues with it.

30/30/30 reset - doesn't actually work like this on the WHR-G300N.

I have to wonder if its because its a RaLink chipset?

---------------

To perform a full reset on a WHR-G300N:

While plugged in, hold down RESET button for 20+ seconds.
You'll see ALL the lights flash, and then Red DIAG light will flash for a bit.
Let go of the RESET and in about 30-60 seconds, the green lights (Power & Wireless) will light up.

At that point - should be able to access 192.168.1.1 web gui.

This is with DD-WRT installed!

If you have the Buffalo firmware loaded - it will be at the default 192.168.11.1

Linksys EA8500 - OpenWRT IPQ806x Trunk R16375 5.4 Kernel

TP-Link Archer C7 V3 - OpenWRT Build R16290 5.4 Kernel
Linksys E3000 - FreshTomato Build MIPSR2 2021.2
nganivet
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:24    Post subject: Unflashable WHR-G300N Reply with quote
Posting copied from the WHR-G300N support thread since I do not know which is the right place to post:

I have followed the wiki instructions to the letter to flash a couple of WHR-G300N I just bought and tried everything, but it never worked. I have disabled the Windows firewall and all other network adapters including wireless, have configured the fixed IP address on the adapter, tried both the easy (tfpt server) and initial (tftp client) flashing methods as outlined in the wiki page for WHR-G300N, even tried all of the above with a two different computers, and even verified that the tftp server was working using the other computer's tftp client. My setup seems correct, and I have never even had the router started downloading or receiving the firmware, it always booted-up normally, like if the recovery mode did not exist! Firmware file used is the WHR-G300N build 12966, both as firmware.tftp and firmware.rom in the home directory for tftp server.

For both of those routers:
Diagnostic page: Model WHR-G300N Ver.1.60 (R1.49/B1.09)
Sticker under router: BUF-WHRG300N-01

Got any advice?
scarpeta
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:49    Post subject: Re: Unflashable WHR-G300N Reply with quote
nganivet wrote:
Posting copied from the WHR-G300N support thread since I do not know which is the right place to post:

I have followed the wiki instructions to the letter to flash a couple of WHR-G300N I just bought and tried everything, but it never worked. I have disabled the Windows firewall and all other network adapters including wireless, have configured the fixed IP address on the adapter, tried both the easy (tfpt server) and initial (tftp client) flashing methods as outlined in the wiki page for WHR-G300N, even tried all of the above with a two different computers, and even verified that the tftp server was working using the other computer's tftp client. My setup seems correct, and I have never even had the router started downloading or receiving the firmware, it always booted-up normally, like if the recovery mode did not exist! Firmware file used is the WHR-G300N build 12966, both as firmware.tftp and firmware.rom in the home directory for tftp server.

For both of those routers:
Diagnostic page: Model WHR-G300N Ver.1.60 (R1.49/B1.09)
Sticker under router: BUF-WHRG300N-01

Got any advice?

It's all about timing, whichever method you use.

I have successfully flashed two G300Ns. What I do is:

1.) I use the tftp2.exe method.
2.) I think you do need to fix your ip like you said.
3.) Set tftp2 to retry like 99 times.
4.) This is IMPORTANT: hit Upgrade button right after you power up the router. I remember reading somewhere that you need to wait a few seconds for the router to go into recovery mode, my advice is don't bother, I could never tell when exactly my router does that, and I think by setting it to retry 99 times will ensure you don't miss the recovery mode.

That's it. I don't think disabling firewall and other wireless adapter will help.
Mekanik
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:07    Post subject: Re: Unflashable WHR-G300N Reply with quote
nganivet wrote:
firmware.rom in the home directory for tftp server.

Is this a typo? It should be firmware.ram.

Using "the easy way" described in the wiki, it should pull the firmware automatically as long as you have renamed the file correctly, placed it in the correct location, and set your PC to a static IP of 192.168.11.2.

The traditional tftp method probably won't work if you are using Vista. Look around in the ralink forums for threads about the G300N, the explanation for that is in there, I just don't remember which thread.

Good luck.

WRT54Gv2
WRT54Gv4
WRT54G2v1
WHR-G300N
DIR-615 E3
WNDR3800
WRT300N
WRT54G-TM
nganivet
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is magic ... I tried again and it worked on the first time! The only thing I did differently is that my mouse slipped when I tried to press the 'Upgrade' button, so I had to reposition the pointer and click again. All in all it might have been 2-3 seconds after I powered the router, rather than just after as suggested in the wiki (count to 1, if red light is solid this is too late). Hope this might help someone else ...

Now on to the second router ...
ninekit
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 16:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Successfully flashed it to BS13064 the first time following the "easy way" outlined in the wiki.
Serving an HTPC flawlessly in client brdige mode (repeater bridge mode w/o virtual SSID) connecting to a 12548M WRT54GS as repeater to an ISP bundled wireless AP.

I am happy!
big kate
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 15:52    Post subject: Cannot work in repeater mode - was no internet - variable up Reply with quote
we've currently tried the brainslayer versions, we have also tried most recent as of the last week and last versions afaik

always same result - internet access on wan port is ok for a while then fails!
utterly variable anything from no access to 30 minutes before failure

We stupidly flashed more units and all have same issue

LAN ports work fine, can see internal network, access san drives, etc

currently have a bunch of 4 port switches - would rather they were routers!

any suggestions would be very welcome as this seems to be an issue some other people have, meanwhile others sail through.

oh and wifi was seemingly working fine

EDIT & UPDATE

OK the routers are now seemingly working, albeit they MAY be being unreliable, were still testing.
The solution was to follow the buffalo specific wipe and reflash and the NOT 30:30:30 restart procedure.

However we are having problems bridging them together i.e. to have 3 routers existing in the same network, one for each level of the house, supplying wan/lan/san interconnection

We understand that the solution is to run it in repeater mode as no client bridge mode exists, but we cannot get them to work as repeater mode

any suggestions about firmwares that seem to work would be very useful

Last edited by big kate on Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:45; edited 1 time in total
benny90
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:43    Post subject: Re: no internet - variable failure time Reply with quote
big kate wrote:
we've currently tried the brainslayer versions, we have also tried most recent as of the last week and last versions afaik

any suggestions would be very welcome as this seems to be an issue some other people have, meanwhile others sail through.

Not sure if this is for sure the problem but Buffalo recently updated the firmware of this router on 10/22. I got the dd-wrt firmware loaded onto the router by changing the firmware.tftp back to firmware.ram. BUT unfortunately this looks to have bricked my router.

Last edited by benny90 on Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:41; edited 1 time in total
jugagagah
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, may I know which firmware to install? Many thanks.
ermax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 17:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am curious if it is possible to flash back to the latest OEM Buffalo firmware found here:
http://www.buffalotech.com/support/getfile/whrg300n-164.exe

I am not sure if I can simply rename Buffalo's flash file to firmware.ram and serve it up via TFTP.

Has anyone tried this. I don't want to brick the router but then again, it is a useful as a brick already. Hahaha.
bbb_forever
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:03    Post subject: Re: Cannot work in repeater mode - was no internet - variabl Reply with quote
big kate wrote:

EDIT & UPDATE

OK the routers are now seemingly working, albeit they MAY be being unreliable, were still testing.
The solution was to follow the buffalo specific wipe and reflash and the NOT 30:30:30 restart procedure.

If the WAN port's connection to the Internet proves unreliable again, I think the problem is that your ISP is detecting a "foreign" MAC device on their network after a little while, then blocking the Internet connection.

The solution is to "Clone WAN MAC" and enter the WAN MAC address of:
1. The WAN MAC address of your previous working Internet router, or...
2. The MAC address of your previous adapter (LAN or Wireless) port on the primary computer hooked-up to the Internet when you began the Internet service.

3. Or call your ISP and ask them to reset the MAC address to record your new router. (This is a last resort because the ISP might change other settings in your Account.)

big kate wrote:

However we are having problems bridging them together i.e. to have 3 routers existing in the same network, one for each level of the house, supplying wan/lan/san interconnection

We understand that the solution is to run it in repeater mode as no client bridge mode exists, but we cannot get them to work as repeater mode

any suggestions about firmwares that seem to work would be very useful

You should be trying to set-up Repeater-Bridge mode, not Repeater mode.
Anyways, there's something better and easier if you have 2 or more DD-WRT routers.

Solution: To set-up Repeater-Bridge mode ==> Use WDS instead!
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=365872#365872

My routers:
- 1 Linksys E3000
- 4 Linksys E2000
- 4 Linksys WRT320n [DD-WRT svn13575 std-nokaid] working well in WDS setup, 5Ghz N-speeds only.
- 2 Airlink AR670W [DD-WRT build 14537] working well in WDS setup, 2.4Ghz N-speeds only.
- 2 Netgear WDNR3300 [DD-WRT svn13577 std-nokaid] working well in AP-Repeater-Bridge setup, 5Ghz N-speeds only.
- Airlink AR325W G-router and Belkin F5D7230-4 v1444 [DD-WRT v23 sp2 micro] working well in Repeater-Bridge setup, G-speeds only.
- D-Link DI-614+ B-router, sitting around, wanna buy it?

Recent fixes timeline:
http://svn.dd-wrt.com:8000/dd-wrt/timeline?from=01%2F11%2F2010&daysback=30&changeset=on&update=Update

Linksys 320n Path: Downloads › others › eko › V24-K26 › svn13575

Airlink AR670W Path: Downloads › others › eko › BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2 › 12-28-09-r13525 › airlink101-ar670w

Last edited by bbb_forever on Wed Nov 11, 2009 13:23; edited 3 times in total
big kate
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:37    Post subject: thankyou bbb_forever Reply with quote
I'll take a look at that later today

thank you for the help

kate
Jarkko
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
ermax wrote:
I am curious if it is possible to flash back to the latest OEM Buffalo firmware found here:

I am not sure if I can simply rename Buffalo's flash file to firmware.ram and serve it up via TFTP.

Has anyone tried this. I don't want to brick the router but then again, it is a useful as a brick already. Hahaha.

Doesn't work, uploads fw to router but won't update. And yes, I tried :wink:

Decrypted fw is definitely required.

edit: router is still working, so no harm done from testing.
ermax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Jarkko wrote:
ermax wrote:

Doesn't work, uploads fw to router but won't update. And yes, I tried :wink:

Decrypted fw is definitely required.

edit: router is still working, so no harm done from testing.

Cool, thanks for the update Jarkko.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 10 of 12
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: