USR5461 compatibility

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
lyzanxia
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello,

I'm having a sort of similar problem as described in some posts above.

Was running the latest EKO v24-12548_NEWD_micro-plus_ssh build perfect for some days.

Stupid me, thought that my router was pretty short on ram and tftp'd the micro version of the same version and build. After this I was unable to get into the gui.

30/30/30 hard reset did not help.

Router is still pingable (ttl=64) and seems to work (internet, dhcp) but no webgui,telnet.

Tftp'd back to usr firmware and all is ok again (can get the webgui).Then tried to update through usr webgui with the EKO build and the usr-header. Router says upgrade complete, but to no avail same prob.

Back to the ssh build or plus build, and the ip stays the same as the usr setting was before reset(so dd-wrt firm does not change ip to 192.168.1.1) but is still pingable, no webgui or telnet.

Seems as if the nvram is still using usr settings?

Anyone any idea on how to proceed?

Thanks guys!
Sponsor
Eko
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
lyzanxia wrote:
Hello,

I'm having a sort of similar problem as described in some posts above.

Was running the latest EKO v24-12548_NEWD_micro-plus_ssh build perfect for some days.

Stupid me, thought that my router was pretty short on ram and tftp'd the micro version of the same version and build. After this I was unable to get into the gui.

30/30/30 hard reset did not help.

Router is still pingable (ttl=64) and seems to work (internet, dhcp) but no webgui,telnet.

Tftp'd back to usr firmware and all is ok again (can get the webgui).Then tried to update through usr webgui with the EKO build and the usr-header. Router says upgrade complete, but to no avail same prob.

Back to the ssh build or plus build, and the ip stays the same as the usr setting was before reset(so dd-wrt firm does not change ip to 192.168.1.1) but is still pingable, no webgui or telnet.

Seems as if the nvram is still using usr settings?

Anyone any idea on how to proceed?

Thanks guys!

The reset button is not supported on this router, so try to telnet in and restart GUI by:

stopservice httpd
startservice httpd

or erase nvram - this will restore dd-wrt defaults

erase nvram
reboot
lyzanxia
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello Eko,

Thanks for the fast reply Laughing appreciate it!

Problem is that I am unable to telnet to the router, it just says connection refused.

Seems I am unable to get to the router this way.

And the usr firmware does not support telnet/ssh Rolling Eyes

I'm not sure, but would flashing a build with standard ssh enbled work?

Thanks!
lyzanxia
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 14:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
SOLVED!

Thanks to a thread by purpleman I was able to reset the nvram.

Here is the solution:

In a nutshell, the quick fix is :

1) tftp asus wl520g firmware
2) do 30/30/30 reset + restore factory defaults from gui
3) upgrade firmware from gui to dd-wrt and you're defaulted.
0vermind
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:01    Post subject: Completely bricked my USR5461 Reply with quote
Oh my gosh guys!! Please help!

I has just bought a U.S. Robotics 5461 so that I could flash it with a different firmware and turn it into a wireless bridge (wireless adapter if you will) and allow computers without a wireless card to connect via cat5.

So I looked through this thread, and saw that you can't just upgrade the firmware you have to do something special to it, so I combined the hdr.bin thing posted earlier and the dd-wrt.v24-11650_NEWD_micro-plus_ssh and upgrade the firmware. It took a good 5 to 10 minutes and I thought it was all good, I rebooted the router and IT'S BRICKED!

I don't know how it happened but it's bricked!!! It won't respond to ping at all, it won't broadcast a wireless signal and it won't accept tftp commands. I tried the WLAN port with no success. I have even tried the 30/30/30 reset. Please can someone help me? I paid a lot for this router!!

Thanks so much guys!
0vermind
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello me! It's me again!

Well, so I unbricked, I did a whole bunch of weird stuff with the reset button like holding it down while unplugging and plugging back in and I got it to work again. I went in and setup everything and changed it's ip to 192.168.l40.2 but now the wireless led is blinking on and off every second, and it won't respond to pings anymore and I can't get into the web interface.

Does anybody know what happened?
airwaves
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 16:54    Post subject: Re: install dd-wrt on USR5461 via webinterface Reply with quote
eaglesvr wrote:
lanckwi wrote:
I just installed dd-wrt.v24-10600_NEWD_micro-plus.bin on an old USR5461 via the webinterface...
In fact I copied the 28 first bytes of an original usr firmware and inserted in the beginning of "dd-wrt.v24-10600_NEWD_micro-plus.bin", attention, inserting, not overwriting (I used a free hexeditor XVI32 for this).

I did the same - no problem. In order to make this easier I'm attaching a file -first 28 bytes of .usr. Now one can make a file acceptable for usr by
copy /b usr5461_hdr.bin+ dd-wrt_xxxxxxx.bin result_file.usr
Before I tried to use tftp under windows w/o success

Yesterday I did an update from factory default firmware to the latest v24sp2. I did the copy trick and uploaded it via the OEM USR GUI. Worked like a charm. No hardware reset what so ever.

The unit is stable. I noticed that the limit of this unit is about 1000 IP connections. After that. It crashes. I updated it ot 2048 IP connections and it's holding. (memory use 97%). DD-WRT rock's.

Edwin.
andreasvt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:50    Post subject: USR5461 - need to reset the password - nothing worked Reply with quote
I just flashed my USR5461 and it was woking fine. I tried to change something and it rebooted and now I cannot login back. It asks for login/pass and nothing works

so far I tried:
cmd -> ping works fine
cmd -> tftp not working..message: connection failed

reset button 30/30/30 did not work.
default (root/admin) did not work.

Any idea how can I reset the password?
autobot
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:32    Post subject: Re: USR5461 - need to reset the password - nothing worked Reply with quote
andreasvt wrote:
I just flashed my USR5461 and it was woking fine. I tried to change something and it rebooted and now I cannot login back. It asks for login/pass and nothing works

so far I tried:
cmd -> ping works fine

Unplug while holding the reset button, plug back in with reset still pressed until all the lights light up. Unplug router, plug back in, and tftp new firmware to 192.168.1.1 and if that doesn't work used the default USR IP of 192.168.2.1

BrainSlayer Builds

DD-WRT Changelog RSS Feed
andreasvt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:11    Post subject: Re: USR5461 - need to reset the password - nothing worked Reply with quote
autobot wrote:
andreasvt wrote:

so far I tried:
cmd -> ping works fine

Unplug while holding the reset button, plug back in with reset still pressed until all the lights light up. Unplug router, plug back in, and tftp new firmware to 192.168.1.1 and if that doesn't work used the default USR IP of 192.168.2.1

Thank you for your response
I have done this... (I thought that is the 30/30/30)but I tried it again. I did hold the button till lights all came up, then unplugged while holding the reset button and waited a about 10secs and the pluged back in holding the button waited till the lights come up. After that I rebooted (no reset button) but the ip remains the one I had setup before I locked out.

Am I doing anything wrong?
autobot
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 17:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
The IP being the same is ok, maybe you could try what the poster above did and flash the Asus firmware, erase nvram and flash ddwrt from their webif. I have never really had this problem with my USR, it has been un-brickable for me. What firmware version did you flash it with, only use Eko's micro, micro_plus, or micro_plus_ssh..vint or newd....NOT newd2... I run the latest Eko newd micro plus ssh which you will find by clicking the Eko link in my signature.

BrainSlayer Builds

Allanon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 17:10    Post subject: Success Reply with quote
I just flashed my USR 5461 using the Hex editor technique found a couple pages back. I'm including the completed version of the firmware I used, which is the first 28 bytes of the USR factory FW combined with the DD-WRT firmware. This may help someone I hope.

dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin
 Filesize:  1.68 MB
 Downloaded:  1085 Time(s)

andreasvt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 15:36    Post subject: no luck with unlocking 5461 Reply with quote
I tried to tftp the asus firmware (so the reset button to work) but I received "connection request failed". I manage to ping the router but I still cannot login..

Any other idea? (besides throwing the router to the trash Smile )

autobot wrote:
The IP being the same is ok, maybe you could try what the poster above did and flash the Asus firmware, erase nvram and flash ddwrt from their webif. I have never really had this problem with my USR, it has been un-brickable for me. What firmware version did you flash it with, only use Eko's micro, micro_plus, or micro_plus_ssh..vint or newd....NOT newd2... I run the latest Eko newd micro plus ssh which you will find by clicking the Eko link in my signature.
SiliconWarrior
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 14:42    Post subject: Flashing new DD-WRT version Reply with quote
Eko wrote:

The reset button is not supported on this router, so try to telnet in and restart GUI by:

stopservice httpd
startservice httpd

or erase nvram - this will restore dd-wrt defaults

erase nvram
reboot

I'm getting ready to flash a different DD-WRT version on my USR5461. I have a generic micro plus build currently and I want to flash the version Autobot modified to include USB support.

Given that the reset button doesn't work with DD-WRT on this router, should the steps above be done in place of the 30/30/30 reset?
autobot
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just flash from the webif and choose to reset to defaults from the dropdown, wait 5 minutes and telnet (with username of root and password of admin) into the router and issue the command
Code:

erase nvram
reboot

When the router comes back up, open the webif and create a new username and password, then telnet into the router and issue the same two commands from above, reboot, relogin to webif and create new username/password then start your configuration per normal.

I do this and have had very few problems, I suggest the steps above because its tough to fully clear nvram from this router.

BrainSlayer Builds

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 6 of 9
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: