Solution: To set-up Repeater-Bridge or WDS on Airlink 670W

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
bbb_forever
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 16:16    Post subject: Solution: To set-up Repeater-Bridge or WDS on Airlink 670W Reply with quote
If you only have ONE Airlink 670W router, then you'll probably have to continue here, and hope that setting-up Repeater-Bridge mode works.
Be prepared for some potential frustration.

Some folks have been facing difficulty in getting the Repeater-Bridge mode to work correctly on the Airlink AR670W router. I suspect it's a bug in the configuration settings area of the router, but it's hard to pinpoint because it works for some folks, but not for others.

I have set-up Repeater-Bridge on other DD-WRT routers in the past, so I know how to do it. But even the correct set-up steps doesn't always result in a working Repeater-Bridge connection.

If you have TWO or more DD-WRT firmware (or Airlink 670W) routers, then you can set-up a WDS system instead of a Repeater-Bridge connection. So skip ahead to the 4th post in this thread, entitled "Set-up WDS instead!", to see those steps.

If you want to know the difference between Repeater-Bridge or WDS, read this tutorial to get started:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers

-bbb_forever 11-29-09

Note:
Client-Bridge mode is NOT available in Build 13069.

You can substitute and use Repeater-Bridge mode instead. And then add a virtual interface (VLAN) to get the Repeater-Bridge mode to start working. If you do NOT add a VLAN, I could NOT get Repeater-Bridge to work (or go into effect). I don't know the reason, but I just accept it, and move on.

Using Repeater-Bridge mode without any wireless clients connecting to the router's wireless radio is effectively the same as using Client-Bridge mode.

--------------------------------------------------------
*** To set-up Repeater-Bridge on the Airlink 670W router ***

First, read the tutorial.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

I used DD-WRT Build 13069 (10-12-2009), which is posted in the main Airlink AR670W thread (page 29-30).
Repeater-Bridge mode does work on other Broadcom-based routers with DD-WRT.

This info presumes that the other Wireless settings of your routers are identical to each other and correct, i.e. Network mode, SSID, Channel #, Security settings (choose WPA2-AES only), etc.

I spent at least 3-4 days trying to figure it out with lots of configuration changes (saves, apply settings, reboots, re-testing, re-thinking). No luck!

With assistance from Hellbore, I was finally able to get the Repeater-Bridge mode to work between my two Airlink routers.

After I got it working, I wanted to pinpoint why I had so much difficulty getting it to work in the first place.

It turns out the solution requires TWO KEY configuration settings that are often missed because it's NOT obvious at all.

Copy the Wireless MAC Address from the main AP's router Status > Wireless Page, and transfer it to the Repeater-Bridge router.

On the Repeater-Bridge router's Setup > Mac Address Clone page:
-Enable MAC Clone, and manually enter the AP router's Wireless MAC Address into the Clone Wireless MAC field.
-Save, and apply settings.
-Reboot the router.

-(Optional) If the browser cannot access the DD-WRT admin page, un-plug and re-plug the router.

On the Repeater-Bridge router, in the Wireless > Basic Settings page, you MUST add a NEW Virtual Interface with a NEW different SSID (e.g. "secondary"), even if you do NOT plan to use this NEW interface for any wireless clients.

-Save, and apply settings.

Then go to the main AP router's Status > Wireless page, and look for 1 minutes in the Wireless Nodes section.
- A new wireless client should appear within 1 minute.
It should be the Repeater-Bridge router's Cloned MAC address, but the last two digits of the MAC address may be "plus 2" (e.g E5 ==> E7, F1 ==> F3).
[It should actually be the exact same number without "plus 2". I think this "plus 2 to the MAC address" problem is a bug that was introduced by Brain-Slayer's fix for Hellbore's "Identical MAC" problem a few weeks ago, but I'm just speculating here. I've only got the main thread to make a guess from what happened. - bbb, 11-4-09].

I'm can now share files, browse other computers, stream video and audio, copy files, access the Internet, etc. from computers on both routers on either end of the wireless bridge.

If you're using different brands of routers and CANNOT get the R-B to connect and work, try turning OFF Wireless Security and encryption.

No WEP, No WPA, No AES, nothing.
Try the above config steps again.

--------------------------------------------------------
To confirm my test results:

When I removed the "secondary" virtual interface on the R-B router's Wireless page, the main AP router's Status > Wireless page shows the connection to the Repeater-Bridge router being dropped entirely.

When I added a NEW virtual interface again, saved, and applied the settings, the Repeater-Bridge connection was re-established to the first main AP router.
And within 15 secs, it's MAC address AUTOMATICALLY re-appeared on the main AP router's Status > Wireless page.
I did NOT have to click on Site Survey at all.

So those were key things to do to getting the second Airlink router to work in Repeater-Bridge mode with the first main Airlink router (working in AP mode).

It sure wasn't obvious during the time of my difficulty when I was configuring things.

My routers:
- 1 Linksys E3000
- 4 Linksys E2000
- 4 Linksys WRT320n [DD-WRT svn13575 std-nokaid] working well in WDS setup, 5Ghz N-speeds only.
- 2 Airlink AR670W [DD-WRT build 14537] working well in WDS setup, 2.4Ghz N-speeds only.
- 2 Netgear WDNR3300 [DD-WRT svn13577 std-nokaid] working well in AP-Repeater-Bridge setup, 5Ghz N-speeds only.
- Airlink AR325W G-router and Belkin F5D7230-4 v1444 [DD-WRT v23 sp2 micro] working well in Repeater-Bridge setup, G-speeds only.
- D-Link DI-614+ B-router, sitting around, wanna buy it?

Recent fixes timeline:
http://svn.dd-wrt.com:8000/dd-wrt/timeline?from=01%2F11%2F2010&daysback=30&changeset=on&update=Update

Linksys 320n Path: Downloads › others › eko › V24-K26 › svn13575

Airlink AR670W Path: Downloads › others › eko › BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2 › 12-28-09-r13525 › airlink101-ar670w

Last edited by bbb_forever on Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:06; edited 57 times in total
Sponsor
bbb_forever
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you can get the Repeater-Bridge mode to work, a good test would be to see if you can access or browse the other computers in your subnet, and view shared folders on those computers.

You may probably need to do the following step to enable clients on the Repeater-Bridge router to access the Internet.

If using only the main AP IP as the DNS server doesn't allow the clients to access the Internet, then manually enter the Static DNS numbers on the main AP router.

- On the main AP router's Status > WAN page, copy or write down the DNS Servers 1 and 2, then manually transfer and enter them into main AP router's Setup > Basic Setup page, into the Static DNS 1 and 2 fields (in the DHCP section).

- This step is OPTIONAL. For the Static DNS 3 field, enter the main AP router's Gateway IP (probably 192.168.1.1).
[This # serves as a alternate route to get the DNS numbers, in case your ISP changes the automatically assigned DNS server numbers, but it might introduce a 1-2 second delay to DNS lookups. If you test and find a delay, remove it because it's optional. But if there's no delay, leave it there as a backup route.)

- On the Repeater-Bridge router, set-up to get its DNS numbers from the main AP router's DHCP server.
1. Enter the main AP IP = 192.168.1.1 into the Gateway # field on the R-B Setup > Basic Setup page.

2. If there is a DHCP Forwarder field, also enter the main AP IP = 192.168.1.1.

This should allow the clients on the Repeater-Bridge router to get the proper DNS numbers and an IP number when they initially connect to the network and query the DHCP server (on the main AP router) to request the server numbers info.

Last edited by bbb_forever on Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:55; edited 9 times in total
bbb_forever
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tested on Build 13069 (10-12-2009).

Okay, after more testing on my part to isolate the required config settings for Repeater-Bridge mode on the Airlink AR670W, it appears that R-B mode still may NOT work on some Airlink routers with Build 13069.

The problem seems to be with the build itself not allowing R-B mode to function or connect properly on some routers (something behind the scenes in the way that the configuration settings are stored, it cannot be viewed in the web GUI).

If that is your particular case, then you're out of luck now. Sorry.

Last edited by bbb_forever on Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:08; edited 6 times in total
bbb_forever
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 18:54    Post subject: Use WDS instead of Repeater-Bridge. Reply with quote
Well, I just found a MUCH BETTER solution than Repeater-Bridge.

*** Solution: If you have two DD-WRT routers, set-up WDS instead! ***

I used DD-WRT Build 13069.
You should probably use the latest build available.

(Do NOT use Build 13064 because that build will disconnect your LAN ports from the WAN port).

You should use TWO DD-WRT firmware Airlink brand routers to get this to work.
It does NOT work as well between different brands of routers.

Forget about setting-up Repeater-Bridge because I found R-B has been very problematic unless a "Good working Repeater-Bridge" configuration file is provided by someone else.

The WDS set-up was MUCH EASIER, and it worked for me on my first try using two Airlink AR670W routers.

Before starting the WDS setup, reset both DD-WRT routers to their default factory defaults, so that each router has its own factory assigned MAC address.

To set-up WDS:
On primary AP router (named AP1 with IP=192.168.1.1):
- Set Wireless Mode = AP mode.
- Enable DHCP server, and configure the router to dynamically get its WAN IP with your ISP, so that computers on that router's LAN ports can access the Internet. Test the Internet access from a computer.

-This next step is OPTIONAL and only applies IF your primary AP router is having trouble requesting a WAN IP from your ISP provider.
For example, if your ISP is Comcast Cable, you may probably need to Enable MAC Clone.
Then "Clone WAN MAC" by clicking the "Get Current PC MAC Address" button.
Save, Apply, Reboot.

- On Wireless > WDS page, set LAN = (Wireless MAC address copied from secondary WDS2 router).

---------------------------------------------------------
On secondary router (named WDS2 with IP=192.168.1.2):
- Set Wireless Mode = AP mode.
- Change DHCP type = DNS Forwarder, and point to the primary AP router's DHCP Server (i.e. 192.168.1.1)
- In Network Setup, set Gateway and Local DNS to AP router's IP (192.168.1.1).

- On Wireless > WDS page, set LAN = (Wireless MAC address copied from primary AP1 router).

- Save, Apply Settings, and Reboot each router.

That's it!
You're done with WDS configuration!
Assuming you properly set-up the other wireless settings like Security (WPA2 with AES), Channel #, SSID, Speed Mode, etc, the WDS should begin working.

The two routers will automatically associate with each other within 10 secs, but you will NOT be able to see any indications on the Status pages at first. But WDS works "behind the covers".

- To verify, use your client computers, open a CMD window, and PING router at 192.168.1.1, ping 192.168.1.2, and ping other computers's IP numbers across the bridge.

- If ping works across the wireless bridge, open a web browser and check that your computers can access the Internet.

- Use File Explorer to check that you can browse other computers in My Network Places (aka Network Neighborhood), and access shared files and folders.

- After you get the WDS up and running, if you want to connect WIRELESS clients devices to the WDS, create a NEW VLAN specifically for the clients.
It would be best to use the same security settings to avoid frustration. But it should be possible to use different security settings for the VLAN (in theory).

WDS is better than Repeater-Bridge anyways because WDS can supposedly preserve MAC addresses of clients during packet transmissions across the wireless bridge (from what I've read so far in the tutorials).

-------------------------------------------------------

If you still need more help setting up WDS, go read these threads. That's what I did.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WDS_Linked_router_network

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=52332&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

My routers:
- 1 Linksys E3000
- 4 Linksys E2000
- 4 Linksys WRT320n [DD-WRT svn13575 std-nokaid] working well in WDS setup, 5Ghz N-speeds only.
- 2 Airlink AR670W [DD-WRT build 14537] working well in WDS setup, 2.4Ghz N-speeds only.
- 2 Netgear WDNR3300 [DD-WRT svn13577 std-nokaid] working well in AP-Repeater-Bridge setup, 5Ghz N-speeds only.
- Airlink AR325W G-router and Belkin F5D7230-4 v1444 [DD-WRT v23 sp2 micro] working well in Repeater-Bridge setup, G-speeds only.

Recent fixes timeline:
http://svn.dd-wrt.com:8000/dd-wrt/timeline?from=01%2F11%2F2010&daysback=30&changeset=on&update=Update

Airlink AR670W Path: Downloads › others › eko › BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2 › 12-28-09-r13525 › airlink101-ar670w

Last edited by bbb_forever on Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:04; edited 3 times in total
bbb_forever
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you have a Repeater-Bridge or WDS issue, please create a NEW thread (instead of adding it here).

I'm hoping to keep this thread clean and pertinent for those looking for a solution.
chpyeung
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can you try if WDS can be established between a router with RALINK chip and a router with BROADCOM chip?

I have a Linksys WRT54G and is thinking to buy a cheap D-LINK DIR-300 (rev.B1) to extend the range.
tweekerz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 17:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
It appears diff chipsets are not compatible according to the FAQ

WDS between different chip vendors (atheros, broadcom, ralink) will not work since its INCOMPATIBLE and no we will NOT fix it

tweekerz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
BTW, great job getting me curous about all this. I have read the RALINK chipset thread in regards to the readily available $30 AR670W routers, people nabbed up from Fry's Electronics B&M when they went discontinued, since Airlink is no longer sold at Fry's.

My scenario:

3 Airlink AR670W
Router1
AP1
AP2

I want to use AP1 and AP2 to connect my Tivo Series 3, my PC, Bluray player using the 4 or 5 LAN ports of AP1.

AP2 is to be used in the office for a PC, and a networked laser all in one.

I currently have a Linksys WRTSL54GS, with DD-WRT using Client Bridge mode.. a setting apparently not available on Airlink AR670W build 13069.

I seem to like "Client Bridge" since no additional wifi vlan needs to be created. DD-WRT seems to state setting up WDS and creating asecondary wifi vlan, as bbb states in post 4, can compromise the thoroughput by 50%. Theotretical or not, is that true of WDS, or at least how WDS is implemented on the AR670W?

Router1 is connected to Comast HSI... working great with 13069 build of DD-WRT

I can get WDS for AP1 and AP2 to work, but wifi from Router1 will not work for the existing laptops configured to Router1. Sounds like WDS will not support wifi, without creating a virtual wireless network, as stated in Post 4.

It also appears no wifi security can be configured to get WDS established, or is that just a best practice put into the dd-wrt instructions for WIRELESS>WDS?

In regards to AP1 and AP2 and getting them set up for WDS:
SPI firewall, enabled or disabled?
MAC Clone, enabled or disabled?
Gateway or Router mode?
WAN configuration... same as Router1 or set to diabled?

bbb_forever, can you post your BIN file from your Router, and your AP1 so I can see how you have done it.
set up the user and pass as admin admin, if you can.
bbb_forever
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 23:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
tweekerz wrote:

I seem to like "Client Bridge" since no additional wifi vlan needs to be created. DD-WRT seems to state setting up WDS and creating asecondary wifi vlan, as bbb states in post 4, can compromise the thoroughput by 50%. Theotretical or not, is that true of WDS, or at least how WDS is implemented on the AR670W?

The 50% reduction in throughput applies to Wireless clients, not to LAN clients.
The wireless data has to be re-broadcast into the air twice:
(1) from the main WAN router to the WDS router, and then
(2) from the WDS router to the Wireless client.
It also applies for the opposite direction.

The 50% reduction would apply ONLY to Wireless clients in a WDS system and/or on a Repeater-Bridge router.

A Repeater-Bridge router WITHOUT ANY wireless clients connecting to it is effectively the same as a Client-Bridge router.

Or put another way, a Client-Bridge router doesn't allow for wireless connections from clients.

-----------------------------------------------------------
From Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_Distribution_System

"...throughput in this [WDS] method is halved for all clients connected wirelessly."

"Two disadvantages to using WDS are:

* The maximum wireless effective throughput is halved after the first retransmission (hop) that is made. For example, in the case of two routers connected via WDS, and communication is made between a computer that is plugged into router A and a laptop that is connected wirelessly using router B's access point, the throughput is halved, because router B has to retransmit the information during the communication of the two sides. However, in the case of communications between a computer that is plugged into router A and a computer that is plugged into router B, the throughput is not halved since there is no need to retransmit the information.

* Dynamically assigned and rotated encryption keys are usually not supported in a WDS connection. This means that dynamic Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA) and other dynamic key assignment technology in most cases can not be used, though WPA using pre-shared keys is possible. This is due to the lack of standardization in this field, which may be resolved with the upcoming 802.11s standard. As a result only static WEP or WPA keys may be used in a WDS connection, including any STAs that associate to a WDS repeating AP."

Last edited by bbb_forever on Sun Nov 29, 2009 23:14; edited 6 times in total
bbb_forever
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 23:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
My replies are below as bbb>>>

Tweekerz wrote:

It also appears no wifi security can be configured to get WDS established, or is that just a best practice put into the dd-wrt instructions for WIRELESS>WDS?

bbb>>> The WDS will use the security settings in the Wireless Security tab. Use WPA2 with AES encryption as that is required for Wireless-N certification. So all newer Wireless-N devices will support it. And it's the best available security setting anyways. Do NOT use TKIP nor combination.
You can test it:
After you set-up security on both WDS routers and get them connected, change the password slightly on one of the WDS routers. It should get disconnected within 1 minute.

In regards to AP1 and AP2 and getting them set up for WDS:
SPI firewall, enabled or disabled?
bbb>>> Disabled for AP1 and AP2.

MAC Clone, enabled or disabled?
bbb>>> Disabled for AP1 and AP2 because it's best to use their hardware-assigned MAC.

Gateway or Router mode?
bbb>>> Seems to work in either mode, so it's probably doesn't matter unless there is a problem. Ideally, Internet router should be Gateway mode. Other WDS routers should be Router mode. But I just leave them all in Gateway mode if it works. Read the Help section on the right-hand column (Click "more...").

WAN configuration... same as Router1 or set to diabled?
bbb>>> I will assume you're referring to WAN Connection Type on the Setup Tab. Disabled.
bbb_forever
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
chpyeung wrote:
Can you try if WDS can be established between a router with RALINK chip and a router with BROADCOM chip?

I have a Linksys WRT54G and is thinking to buy a cheap D-LINK DIR-300 (rev.B1) to extend the range.

tweekerz wrote:

WDS between different chip vendors (atheros, broadcom, ralink) will not work since its INCOMPATIBLE and no we will NOT fix it

Well, I happened to buy 2 refurbished Linksys WRT320n on Black Friday.

So I decided to test whether or not a Broadcom-based router (Linksys WRT320n) and a Ralink-based router (Airlink AR670W) could be connected in a WDS system on the 2.4Ghz frequency band.

Success!
I can report and confirm that it is possible, but it's not necessarily supported by the DD-WRT dev. team. So if it doesn't work for you, don't bug them about it.

I was able to get the Linksys to connect and work properly with the Airlink within a WDS system.

And I performed 2 routine tests:
1. Clients on both routers can access the Internet - Passed.
2. Clients on both routers can shares files with each other via Windows File Sharing and Network Browsing - Passed.

My guess is that Ralink probably designed their chipset to be compatible to the Broadcom chipset, but nothing is guaranteed.

Things just have to be tested to see if it works or not.

My routers:
- 1 Linksys E3000
- 4 Linksys E2000

Recent fixes timeline:

Last edited by bbb_forever on Tue Dec 01, 2009 17:19; edited 2 times in total
chpyeung
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
bbb_forever wrote:
chpyeung wrote:

tweekerz wrote:

Well, I happened to buy 2 refurbished Linksys WRT320n on Black Friday.

So I decided to test whether or not a Broadcom-based router (Linksys WRT320n) and a Ralink-based router (Airlink AR670W) could be connected in a WDS system on the 2.4Ghz frequency band.

Success!
I can report and confirm that it is possible, although it's not necessarily supported by the DD-WRT dev. team.

I was able to get the Linksys to connect and work properly with the Airlink within a WDS system.

And I performed the usual Internet access tests and Windows file sharing tests which were also successful.

My guess is that Ralink probably designed their chipset to be compatible to the Broadcom chipset, but nothing is guaranteed.

Things just have to be tested to see if it works or not.

Great. And Congratulations to you, bbb_forever.
Yesterday I bought a D-LINK DIR-300 Rev B1. (Use ralink chipset) I tried with my old WRT54G. The WDS seems only worked with encryption disabled. (To be exact, encryption on WRT54G has to be set to disabled, while encryption on DIR-300 can be set to WPA2/AES, and even the SSID may be different from WRT54G). One strange thing is that if WDS is enabled on DIR-300, my wireless IP CAM will not be able to connect. Once I disable the WDS connection to WRT54G, the connection resumes... Very very strange.
tweekerz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
I mentioned the same. Have you added a Virtual Interface, and configure your wifi cam to connect to the new ssid that the virtual interface is using?

I am in a similar position. I may change the primary ssid to wds per sae, and use the virtual interface SSID, my previously used ssid I use throughout My home.

My laptop reconnected to the same ssid when I created it on the virtual interface, but My Wife's laptop did not connect to the default ssid I migrated to the Virtual Interface ssid.

chpyeung wrote:
One strange thing is that if WDS is enabled on DIR-300, my wireless IP CAM will not be able to connect. Once I disable the WDS connection to WRT54G, the connection resumes... Very very strange.
bbb_forever
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 13:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
I did read in some other threads that certain Wireless Security settings may be an issue when used in a WDS system.
You'll have to go search for them.

I will assume you are hard rebooting (or unplugging & replugging the camera) those "Cannot connect" devices (just to make sure the old settings are NOT hanging around in resident memory), and toensure that all the devices are operating in the desired Wireless-xx mode.

One possible test is to disable Wireless Security for the entire WDS system and devices, and see if the problematic wireless devices can connect or not.

WPA2 with AES is only a requirement for Wireless-N device certification.

But WPA2 with AES is NOT necessarily a requirement for other Wireless-xx certification, so some of those other G-devices may (or may not) properly support WPA2 with AES.

Does the wireless camera support WPA2 with AES?

Check to see if any new drivers or firmware are available to support WPA2 with AES on the manufacturer's website. Or email their tech support to ask.

If that still doesn't work, you'll have to do some searching.
chpyeung
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 15:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Finally I set up the WDS connection between DIR-300 and WRT54G. I used one set of SSID (hidden) for WDS connection between the 2 routers, and another set of SSID (broadcast) by adding a Virtual Wireless LAN at both routers for connecting wireless clients.

Basically the wireless setting for both routers are the same, except that I have to set the security of the WDS SSID of WRT54G to Disabled. (But the security of WDS SSID of DIR-300 can be WPA2 Personal, I really wonder if there is encryption at the WDS link or not?)
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: