How to scan for ANY OPEN WIFI? [SOLVED] - AutoAP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 92, 93, 94  Next
Cool Dude
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:57    Post subject: How to scan for ANY OPEN WIFI? [SOLVED] - AutoAP Reply with quote
ORIGINAL GOAL:
To create a script that would have intelligence and run in a loop inside dd-wrt and continuously scan for open wifi connections, test them for validity, and connect to the strongest signal... If the connection is lost, the device will scan again and find the strongest valid signal again, maintaining a continuous connection to the internet in a mobile or portable environment... Certain mac addresses and ssid's need to be capable of being excluded.....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THIS HAS BEEN ACCOMPLISHED!!! and it is actually very simple to implement for users on all levels...

If you are just finding this thread, you will be glad to hear that this has been accomplished by a custom firmware developed by JohnnyPrimus, which utilizes V23_SP2_NOKAID_GENERIC and has a script embedded in it that is a pure stroke of genius by JohnnyPrimus.....

The complete downloads of the custom firmware and the tutorial on how to make it work, along with a configuration file already set to drop in and plug and play, are on page 6 of this thread...

Last edited by Cool Dude on Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:07; edited 4 times in total
Sponsor
JohnnyPrimus
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 17:31    Post subject: How to scan for any open Wi-Fi. Reply with quote
Spent a bit of time bug fixing tonight, the latest version should not only alleviate all bugs mentioned so far, but should also show you a lot more than you've been seeing. I tested this moving around my apt. complex and it worked quite well.

To run the script, just log in via ssh and type 'autoap'. It'll work a lot better than it has previous runs. The only output you'll see on the screen is the open networks found. To view the full log output, point your web browser at http://10.0.0.1/autoap.html (replacing 10.0.0.1 with your own routers IP...obviously). The log will auto refresh every five seconds.

The script will no longer disconnect or start a new scan if the current SSID is functioning well. This will save from frequent disconnects.

:arrow:To have this launch at boot and continue running, just add '/bin/autoap' to your rc_startup.

http://www.partners.biz/autoap/dd-wrt_v23sp2_autoap-generic.bin
md5sum: cdbabe4441b8bcea4a762492bcdfd405

All other (trx, tftp binaries, etc) builds of the firmware image are available within
http://www.partners.biz/autoap/dd-wrt_v23sp2_autoap.zip

Exclamation edit 12.05.06 - new versions below: Exclamation

Arrow http://www.partners.biz/autoap/sp3/dd-wrt.SP3_AAP-generic.bin

Arrow http://www.partners.biz/autoap/sp3/dd-wrt.SP3_AAP_mini-generic.bin

Arrow http://www.partners.biz/autoap/sp4/dd-wrt.v24_AAP-generic.bin

http://www.partners.biz/autoap/sp3/autoap-nvram.txt

BGV_1222

-JP

Last edited by JohnnyPrimus on Thu Dec 22, 2016 18:59; edited 7 times in total
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:12    Post subject: Re: How to scan for ANY OPEN WIFI? Reply with quote
Chuck D wrote:
Does anyone know how I can make dd-wrt scan for multiple ssid's, such as NETGEAR, linksys, ACTIONTEC, default, etc... and connect to the strongest signal? Or how do I make it scan for ANY "open" wifi and connect to it?

The WGA54G game adapter does this, and I am sure it can be done with a script in dd-wrt, but I have alot of reading to do to be able to pull that off... The WGA54G will switch access points on you and there is no way to disable that feature.. It can be problematic, but I can see positive uses for the feature also, BIG TIME!! The WGA54G is the weakest piece of junk I have ever tested though, and there is no external antenna connector.. But I do find the fact that it scans for open wifi and auto-connects very intruiging and I am on a quest to get the same function out of dd-wrt....

I was hoping one of you could point me in the right direction...

Thanks in advance,

Chuck D

http://www.ilovemywifi.com

nvram set wl_ssid=""
nvram commit
reboot

will let you do this (in client mode for sure)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Uhhh....I could be wrong, but I think he means you're supposed to put the desired SSID in place of the " " .

Also, where in Oregon are you?

Linksys E2000 w/15200 "Big"
Linksys WRT54G v.4
La Fonera 2100, fan-cooled
Linksys WRT54G v.3.1
Linksys WRT54G v.1.1
Linksys WRT54GS v.1
2x Linksys WRT54G v.2.2

Peacock Thread - READ THOROUGHLY
JohnnyPrimus
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'd assume he meant leave the SSID blank, and it will auto connect to the nearest available, open, strong signal.

Chuck D: I certainly didn't mean any offense, forgive me for assuming the worst, I guess I've fielded too many questions regarding pirating internet. As such, I didn't even read your question carefully enough to give you the answer you sought. Sorry.

Last edited by JohnnyPrimus on Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:31; edited 1 time in total
JohnnyPrimus
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Chuck if none of this is working some sort of script (on cron?) will probably fit the bill nicely...

#!/bin/sh
wl scan -t active -c 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11
wl scanresults > /tmp/scanresults

to put the scan results in /tmp/scanresults for further processing. I gotta run but will look into this more shortly
Seth7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:59    Post subject: Re: How to scan for ANY OPEN WIFI? Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:

nvram set wl_ssid=""
nvram commit
reboot

will let you do this (in client mode for sure)

SWING !!!!!

JohnnyPrimus
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
I looked at this a bit more last night and came up with the following one-liner:

wl scan && wl scanresults | grep Capability | grep -v WEP | awk {'print $2'} > /tmp/1 && while read x;do sleep 1 && wl scan -b "$x" && wl scanresults;done < /tmp/1

that should display info, including rssi, for all non-wep open APs. It's currently a bit flakey (doesn't always return what's expected. occasionally it will return full scan results, even though we just scanned a single BSSID), I haven't yet figured out why this is happening. If I can get it to play nicely, and be stable, then it will be easy to return the ssid of the strongest open signal. After that its just a matter of associating with that AP via 'wl'.

Can anyone with experience scripting wl tell me why this isn't working as expected?
Seth7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 18:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
im watching this too
nerys
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok Excuse my extreme noobness but this FASCINATES me

I want to make sure I understand this properly. What your wanting to do is REVERSE the wifi on the router. instead of the router feeding its wired internet to users over wifi you want to DERIVE that internet INBOUND from the wireless ?? like conecting one router to another ?

I assume if you also want local lan wifi this means 2 routers ? (do I have my ideas straight so far ?)

OK this fascinates me because we do a lot of camping. I want to BUY wifi access (yearly its not too bad) since it works at most of the campgrounds we use.

My idea is this. the wifi is restricted to one mac address I want that mac address to be a router. that router would be visible to the paid wifi service. I link that router to another router that is configured normally.

Now I can jack in as many machines as I want into the normal router as usually and get the the internet that the 1st router is connected to.

DO I have that right ? That would be awesome! I plan to build at least 2 computers into the camper and 2 sometimes 3 of us have laptops - I plan to network everything anyway for multiplayer and content streaming. being able to access the internet on any of the machines would be REALLY nice :-) I could even see mounting a tablet computer (old fijitsu 233mhz) by the door with live satellite radar and weather info etc.

Would this allow me to do this ?

Thanks
Chris Taylor
http://www.nerys.com/
Eko
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
nerys wrote:
Ok Excuse my extreme noobness but this FASCINATES me

Would this allow me to do this ?

It's called client mode.... dd-wrt supports this since v0
nerys
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
nono I mean the combination of all of this. IE auto finding and connecting to wifi locations automatically finding the open ones etc..

is that possible ?

Chris Taylor
http://www.nerys.com/
JohnnyPrimus
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 13:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
chuck: do you have an sd card? or a writable jffs dir? if so i can definitely bang out a solution for you. been busy lately, ill look into scripting this for stock firmware as well. (jffs or mmc would enable you to grab microperl, which would make this a breeze)
Seth7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Chuck

Id like several files hosted...

Mostly for the Motorola WR850G routers...

i have pulled wholeflash,cfe,nvram and kernel off of the V2 and V3 of these and would like to make them available to download ... with out registering ... and would like to make a link to them in the Wiki under the WR850G debricking.

singo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 14:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
so can my WRT54GS V4 DD-WRT v23 SP2 see other WiFi AP or Client on the area?
I know WiFi PCI card client can does this.....but WiFi AP?
In the DD-WRT menu no options else for this......

Thanks

Navigation

Jump to: