How to scan for ANY OPEN WIFI? [SOLVED] - AutoAP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 92, 93, 94  Next
Edmund
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 15:09    Post subject: Re: How to scan for ANY OPEN WIFI? Reply with quote
! The WGA54G is the weakest piece of junk I have ever tested though, and there is no external antenna connector..
Chuck D

http://www.ilovemywifi.com[/quote]

What? according to the info in the shop-page there should be an RP-SMA connector!
Please confirm, because I wanted to order one but I need an external antenna!

Edmund
Sponsor
Seth7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
its on the status -- wireless page..at the bottom .. and only hows AP's ...

Id like the setup up have the ability to exclude ssid's or mac adress's (or both) ... not all open wireless have internet conections... and hence are not useable as such.

Edmund
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Chuck D wrote:
The WGA54G and A/G both do not have external antenna connectors... They also are set to a much lower power level, so they ony get about 1/3 of the signal strength of other devices...

Sorry I mixed up the type numbers, the one I want to order is the WHR-HP-G54
JohnnyPrimus
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
you make too enticing an offer to pass up. after looking at your hardware, it looks like the only viable solution would utilize soley stock components.

stay tuned....
JohnnyPrimus
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
i've got a scripted solution coming along nicely, using only the stock dd-wrt. i'll add in support to specify MACs, SSIDs or BSSIDs to ignore. (Stored in nvram to make it a bit easier to keep configured)
JohnnyPrimus
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
ive spent too much time hammering down the details, but this thing has turned out pretty damn nicely. completely native, modular, expandable, and quite stable. if you're around tonight let me know, i'm quite happy with the end result
JohnnyPrimus
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.partners.biz/autoap/autoap.zip is the final version.

I believe it is small enough to successfully save as a startup script.

I can hammer out a micro version of this that's a 80-90% smaller, but this seemed like a robust way to keep things expandable, something it sounds like you guys may be doing with city wide projects.

im out the door to snag food, back in just a few
JohnnyPrimus
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
no problem

the easiest way to get it up and running will be to fire up ssh, log on to your router, and do the following:

cd /tmp
wget http://www.partners.biz/autoap/autoap.sh
chmod 777 ./autoap.sh
./autoap.sh

at that point it should be running. i have noticed a bug intermittantly that requires starting it twice before it begins to spit out the things you're looking for. if you don't see output ~15-30 seconds after running ./autoap.sh, just run that command again and it should begin informing you of new networks it's found.

there are plenty of settings to adjust (you can get at them by editing the file, I'll compile a list of the nvram settings i included shortly). i'd hoped to have a web interface cooked up for it by now too, but the shell-only scripting took some getting used to. ill definitely make one available as soon as i have a few minutes to tinker with it
nerys
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
so is this the connect to a network and then share it locally thing ? is it one machine or two machine setup?

also is there planes for a more consumer friendly instal ie built into the GUI etc.??

Chris Taylor
http://www.nerys.com/
JohnnyPrimus
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
It doesn't log things as well as it might, that's something else I need to address, although most users don't have room to keep logfiles accumulating anyways.

Right now, if you run it from a terminal and stay logged in, you should see it inform you of new open networks that are found. It tracks these and decides which one has the strongest signal, the it connects to that network. I'm doing the connecting entirely via cmd line at this point, so there is really no user feedback to speak of when it switches. I'll throw an update online tomorrow that does a better job being loud about those things.

I'll also put up a micro version that you can save one time as a startup script and never have to install or reconfigure it.

Also, if you want to configure the SSID or MAC filters, you can do so permanently (nvram options aren't prone to loss every time you power down the router.)

To do that, hop on ssh and type

nvram set aap_macfilter="00:11:AA:22:BB:33 11:22:33:44:55:66 FF:AA:CC:44:55:22"

Using the MAC's you intend to filter, of course. Every time the script runs it will read these from nvram, saving you the need to reconfigure it in the future. The SSID filter works the same way, the command for that would be:

nvram set aap_ssidfilter="dd-wrt mshome someNetwork" etc. Just a space seperated list of the ssid's you'd like to block.

I'll try to get that logging mod and micro version available late tonight or mid tomorrow.

quick edit: having jffs available on the router is helpful, but not necessary. i've tried to design it so it could be installed on as many boxes as you like without having to upgrade them.

-Lee
ldbobby
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just a thought... but could you have a config file that the mini version could read off of?... say... if /jffs/autoap.conf exits... load... else... default...
xerovis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:31    Post subject: I like where this is going Reply with quote
Been watching this thread with interest. My company is looking into setting up a wireless network in Brisbane, Australia. We are currently in the test phase and this software that Johnny has written looks great!

I am willing to donate $100 AUD to DDWRT or to the person who creates the web based part of this script (your choice).

I also think that its a great idea that people are creating businesses around this software! I really think that we could really help one another out if everyone who has created a good wireless mesh or wireless internet business, create a how to somewhere (I have spare hosting and a URL free) so that others can also create local businesses or community networks. We are never going to beat the big boys on our own, we really should team up and pool our resources.

Just my 2 cents!
dicksons
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 0:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Chuck

is Brittany going to put you on the news ?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just to keep everyone updated,

I've been busy running around today, but have the next three days off.

Chuck, I've got half the work done on a micro version. Should be out tonight or tomorrow.

I'll release a std and mini version of the DD-WRT v23 SP2 that has this script integrated, so you won't need to keep downloading it to /tmp.

After the smaller version of the script, the web interface is next on the list.
JohnnyPrimus
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Chuck,

I sent you a PM, but recieved a cryptic response from the forum afterwards.... if you didn't get it let me know....

-L
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 92, 93, 94  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 94
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: